Shops with overseas models in Tokyo

railsquid

This is probably only interesting for residents of Japan who can get Japanese stuff by the bucketload but for whom exotic overseas stuff is harder to come by. N-gauge only unless otherwise specified.

This list is work-in-progress and far from complete

Hobbyland Pochi (all stores): occasionally have random items of European and American stock.

Poppondetta Akihabara: The basement has a selection of overseas stock and accessories in HO/OO, N and Z; comparatively large 2nd hand section (Google Street View)

Artesia (Akihabara): very small selection of 2nd hand stuff

"Igirisu no Tetsudo Mokei" (イギリスの鉄道模型): small shop selling British OO gauge products, mainly Hornby with some Heljan and Bachman Branchline. Also a very small selection of N-gauge items (Dapol, Farish, miscellaneous accessories). In Nerima-ku; open only a few days a month; see homepage for details (Google Street View)

Tenshodo (Ginza): Variety of European and American N gauge and HO gauge at mildly eye-watering prices. By contrast the 4th floor is a treasure trove of mildly-priced Japanese and European (possibly some American) junk.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

Thanks,  cross referencing it with a english google maps brought me this:-

〒101-0021 Tokyo, Chiyoda, Sotokanda, 3 Chome−3−3

Will try and visit next time.  Google had a 360 view inside the shop also.

Kids from the school across the road must love having a store there.  Although a 1 minute walk puts in on the main strip of Akihabara.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I would expect it to be cheaper to buy from Lippe or eHattons for European and English models?  I know it's not showing support for local shops, but the only reason you would want to pop into one of them is to check out the real thing before buying, laugh at the price and go online, just like we do in Australia.

I would expect it to be cheaper to buy from Lippe or eHattons for European and English models?  I know it's not showing support for local shops, but the only reason you would want to pop into one of them is to check out the real thing before buying, laugh at the price and go online, just like we do in Australia.

Well... there's the sheer pleasure of poking around a model shop with something other than the ubiquitous stuff from Kato, Tomix, Microace etc., and making the odd serendipitious discovery.  Then there's the odd bargain to be had, especially with 2nd hand stuff. Occasionally one finds items no longer in production. And sometimes it's nice to chat with the staff.

IIRC, Tenshodo in Ginza has foreign stuff as well... However, it's Tenshodo. In Gin$a.

Even though shopping online might be cheap in some cases, visiting shops can prove to be more rewarding and it's definitely more fun! I can recall spending literally hours in some shops when I first visited Japan. Now, it's more targeted and limited to around 30 min. xD

• Like 1

Thanks,  cross referencing it with a english google maps brought me this:-

〒101-0021 Tokyo, Chiyoda, Sotokanda, 3 Chome−3−3

Will try and visit next time.  Google had a 360 view inside the shop also.

Kids from the school across the road must love having a store there.  Although a 1 minute walk puts in on the main strip of Akihabara.

When you visit the store most of the trains are upstairs, you have to go through the doorway with the yellow chain across it.  On my first visit I thought "this can't be it" until I figured it out.

Ah yes, Tenshodo. It would have to be some kind of life-and-death situation where I'd purchase something new there (now there's a challenge - work out what life-and-death situation would require purchase of brand new model railway items) but the 4th floor with second hand stuff is surprisingly reasonable. Though it's mainly junk, but I like junk. I must go and have a poke around again.

• Like 1

When you visit the store most of the trains are upstairs, you have to go through the doorway with the yellow chain across it.  On my first visit I thought "this can't be it" until I figured it out.

Poppendetta occupies the whole building (they also seem to have a little workshop in the one to the left - sometimes you can see layouts under construction), but there are a lot of little shops hidden away up staircases round the back of buildings which you wouldn't know are there unless you know they're there.

Ah yes, Tenshodo. It would have to be some kind of life-and-death situation where I'd purchase something new there

Not a life-and-death situation but a while back they did have a new Roco locomotive of the type I was after for 12000yen + tax (Pochi had the same model 2nd hand for 27000 yen incl. tax) :D More recently they've had a bulk load of German stuff helping me fill some vital holes in my collection, at about the same price one could probably obtain them from Ebay etc., but with the advantage of being able to check and test on-the-spot.