Japan central map - shopping, places to visit and more

Thanks everyone. Lots of new places to visit! I can't believe I forgot F MODELS in Akiba. My fiancée lives in Toyoda and we often meet in Tachikawa, but I didn't even know Endo Models was there.

I have a book that came with a magazine that lists a huge number of shops in Japan. Eventually I will get around to scanning it.

I was aware of the other map, and I'm not trying to "complete" with it or anything like that. If you look at mine you can see that I have a lot more besides just rail modelling shops.

From my recent trips we actually didn't make any contact with the shops in Tokyo, except for the small Popondetta in Shinjuku Keio Plaza...

We did however came across some other shops in Osaka, Hiroshima and Hakata, like the Endo electrical shop that actually sells model trains on their 3rd storey! I found a gem, brand new Kato 10-558 383 Series Shinano Wide View basic 6-car set at 20% off the retail price but I actually skipped this.

Osaka has one of the largest Yodobashi Camera store ever? I mean, it's like they have their own whole building! Yodobashi Umeda is right next to Osaka station, and there are signages directing you there, just look for the 'Yodobashi Umeda building' sign.

Hakata has another big Yodobashi Camera store behind Hakata station. That was where I bought my Kato Doctor Yellow full set and E259 NEX (they didn't have the add-on set)... Thing with Yodobashi is, please go with a Visa Credit Card and your passport. Their normal retail price (price on the box) is around 20-30% off the RSP, but before Taxes. They do offer tax free, which means another 8% off, but you need to hit at least 10,801 yen before they will do tax free for you. (by the way, the tax free process is TEDIOUSLY long in Japan...). Bring along your Visa card and ask to pay via Visa card and you get another 6% off the total. (some Visa promotion I think, the guy at the store actually told me this).  So all in all, it's like 20+6+8% off normal RSP! I LOVE Yodobashi!  

• Like 1
JR 500系

I found a new place: www.artesiajp.com

They seem to have a layout and shop. I will try to visit it in the next week or two.

Good find! Looking forward to your pictures/ videos!

* Hang on, isn't Artesia, Char Aznable's Sister? (For those who watch gundam)

I popped in but didn't take any photos. There are some on their web site. It's a small shop but a good size layout. They have a good selection of used models, and some magazines as well. Nice friendly guys.

I have been working on a map of places to visit in the Tokyo and surrounding areas, including Kawasaki and Yokohama.

BTW I suggest modifying the title of this thread, "Japan central map" sounds like it refers to the Nagoya area.

Makes sense to me.

Anyway I paid a quick visit to the above-mentioned "Artesia" - I must have been past dozens of times, it's just up the street from Pochi. Small shop, half-dedicated to the rental layout, the rest display cases packed with second-hand stuff. The stock looks a bit less recent than Pochi. Prices include sales tax and look reasonable at a first glance. Very small selection of overseas models. The rental layout users were somewhat on the raucous side.