Installing a DCC Decoder for Motor

Bernard

CaptOblivious

The only real differences between the DZ123 and DZ125 is size and the introduction of BEMF (constant speed despite hills or heavy loads). BEMF is kinda cool, but it's not something I would search out in a decoder, personally.

CaptOblivious

Um.... Is there any chance that I can put a Kato EM13 in a series 500 Shinkansen? ???

Yes there is! However, you will have to solder it in just like any other decoder: The 500-series doesn't offer the option of just dropping this decoder in, sadly.

In that respect, the EM13 may not be the best choice for this model; A similar wired decoder like the Digitrax DZ125, Lenz Gold Mini, or TCS M1 will give many more options for about the same size of decoder and difficulty of installation.

Don - I didn't know that you had to solder in the EM13,....and sorry about my info to you, Jules. The design of it looks like it slips into place in the motor car. I guess it's because I don't see any wires on that decoder.

CaptOblivious

Don - I didn't know that you had to solder in the EM13,....and sorry about my info to you, Jules. The design of it looks like it slips into place in the motor car. I guess it's because I don't see any wires on that decoder.

Sorry, let me be clear. In Kato "DCC Friendly" trains, you just slip it in, 5 minutes no tools and you're done. But the EM13 is not limited to these models: You can use the EM13 in any train you care to, but you have to solder it in those cases just like a regular decoder. I thought the 500-series was not "DCC Friendly"—am I wrong? I don't have that model, so I can't say.

CaptOblivious

The 500 Nozomi can be made to be DCC friendly but I did it with a solder in decoder. Here is the thread on how to do it at the forum. If you decide to do it this way Jules, you will need Kapton tape to isolate the motor from the pick ups.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,155.0.html

Just to be clear, Kato labels those models that take the EM13 and FL12 drop-in decoders as "DCC Friendly" (albeit in Japanese :D DCCフレンドリー). http://www.katomodels.com/hobby/dcc/kato_friendly.shtml

That's the sense that I use that phrase. The 500系 is not "DCC Friendly", but it looks like an easy install nonetheless! Thanks for the thread, Bernard.

CaptOblivious

Yes. Capts right. The only DCC friendly Kato trains are:

E2, E3, E4, Yamanote line

Well, there's more than that. The E231 Tokkaido/Shinjuku line, E233 Keihin-Tohoku and Chou lines, 209-500 Keihin Tohoku line (OOP), E217 models, newer 101 models, some 489 models, etc. There are quite a lot.

The N700 bullet train is also "DCC Friendly"

CaptOblivious

What model decoder do you use? Would a Lenz Digital Plus Gold Mini-W potentially fit?

I do believe that's the very Decoder Bernard used. At any rate, it will certainly fit just fine.

Don - that reference list you found is a great resource. Maybe it should be with your rating of decoders?

CaptOblivious

Don - that reference list you found is a great resource. Maybe it should be with your rating of decoders?

It's also terribly incomplete. Kato does not do a good job of showing at a glance which models are "DCC Friendly". But you are right: It is worth making such a list!