Translation question

Atomsk

What is the proper meaning fo the Japanese word 増結(Zōketsu)?

Automatic translation always comes up with "Hematopoietic" which, if it is an actual English word, only five people in history have ever used it, and none of them have used it properly.

From context, I assume Zōketsu means "add-on" or "additional".  It's used a lot to describe expansion sets for model trains.

This reminds me of 青大将(Aodaishō), the nickname of the 1956 Tsubame.  The automatic translation usually came back as "Inexperienced General".  I asked someone who posted an old film of the Tsubame on YouTube (https://youtu.be/ETGWpJyfDQI).  He explained the real menaing of the word, and how it could be mistaken for something else.

On the top of my head I don't know what "増結" means, but this dictionary website did the trick: http://jisho.org/

The word is defined as meaning "adding train cars". It's a noun, but if you add the auxiliary verb ”する" (suru) to it you get "増結する" which could be loosely translated as "to add new cars to a train" which I think could be used in both prototype and model. In model train context it will probably mean "add-on" indeed.

• Like 1

"増結" is that annoying word you notice when noticing what appears to be a bargain, then you realise it's just an add-on set.

• Like 2

I think the etymology of this conjugation is like this:

増 = 'add'. Comes from words like 増員 [zōin] 'increase number of personnel' and 増強 [zōkyō] 'increase, reinforce'. 

結 = 'join'. Comes from 連結する [renketsu suru], which means 'to couple, to link, consolidate, etc.'. It is used as an official word and jargon in railway vocabulary for coupling train cars.

So basically it means increase the number of coupled cars. 増結 [zōketsu] seems however to be a word purely in use for railway related things.

• Like 2

I want to write an email to Sankei:

こんにちは、

私の買ったMP03-67ラーメン屋のキットにレーザーシートFが入っていません。予備部品がありますか。

よろしくお願いします。

Darklighter

Is this OK?