My Tokuyama station layout

Eurostar25

Love the trains over the river and the baseball field, reminds me of where the all the trains cross the tama river between Yokohama and Tokyo, there's 25 baseball diamonds visible from the tokaido main line alone!

• Like 2
Eurostar25

Thanks guys, it was search on google earth to see what actually is put next to the river that got me thinking about the trips I'd done on the Shinkansen and remembered seeing them as you whiz by. Might need to install a tall catchment fence so they don't hit it onto the nearby tracks!

Really nice! How did you make the ripples on the surface of the water? I am trying to use realistic water but the surface always turns out completely flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurostar25

Really nice! How did you make the ripples on the surface of the water? I am trying to use realistic water but the surface always turns out completely flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Madsing, I poured 3 layers of realistic water, let that set then went over it with the WS water effects, it's like putty but eventually dries clear. I just spread it on with a paint brush and try to put ripples where I think they might be - around rocks etc and also just along the main flow. I used it at the end of the canal as its a level change and good for creating a minor rapid with the water flowing over the stones, being putty it stays where you put it and then dries clear.

Got some decals fitted to my NZ rolling stock, the loco is a DC class loco which will be one of the loco's for the Tranzalpine consist. The tank wagon is for a heritage consist yet to be built but will run behind a steam loco providing the oil for the boiler. The tank wagon was from a kit and the DC was a body shell from shapeways. Both 1:120 scale, running on N gauge track to depict our 1067mm narrow gauge here

post-921-0-06825100-1497737693_thumb.jpeg post-921-0-74764200-1497737727_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

wow loving this layout!   did you weather the sidewalls of the elevated track?  great touch!!

Is this built using Kato only or is the yamanote line on tomix?

Hi subwayhypes, yup I sure did weather the Kato viaduct track just using Tamiya westhering pastels, mainly to try to take away the plastic look. The lower track is all Kato as well, no real reason for that over tomix, I guess I didn't know how big the modules we're going to get. I've found the Kato track reliable and sturdy. I guess I don't have a particularly intricate track plan so the Kato pieces worked fine. 

Heres how the layout looks in storage at present though as the room is a bit small for it to run around

image.jpg

• Like 3

After a couple of months overseas, unfortunately it's time again to consider having to move house.

One thing I would consider in the future would be to design a module to the size of the largest storage container you can find! As was the case for me no one locally made containers 1m long so I had to go about it another way. 

I managed to find one wide enough and tall enough and then proceeded to cut it in half. The base has been attached to each half by wooden stringers and cable ties. Not strong by any means compared to their original form but sufficient enough to stack and transport them which was what I was after. 

IMG_2878.JPG

• Like 5

Lol! I love it! Great solution. Just duct tape some foam core pieces between the ends and you have your new box.

moving, yeuch. Best wishes

jeff

• Like 1

Cool! Interesting idea! Just a suggestion, perhaps attaching a plastic sheet can cover some dust in the centre portion?

It also looks high enough for the container covers to be covered up for dust prevention... Great plan there! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think I've seen a 1 meter plus plastic tub. Though those Sistema tubs are pretty handy & I know how many fit in the back of my car (2x 60L, 2x 27L/40L) without stacking. I'm curious if they could make a longer tub, though considering that their 90L like the 40L is just a taller version of the smaller tubs (21L & 30L), their moulding machines, no doubt have a size limit.

• Like 1

Judging by the shape it does look like you might be able to make a big U out of like 040 serene and with some sanding to get the corners clean and surfaces well roughed up, epoxy it on. But the plastics used in many of these tubs don't take epoxy well. But duct tape would!

i think it's more just a very small market for huge tubs. The big long ones are usually only 5-8" high to go under beds. 

jeff

Had a go at getting a loop finally constructed. Only possible with the second car out of the garage!

Added links for YouTube, not sure if they're embedded or not.

• Like 17

All I can say is WOW.  Amazing work, thanks for sharing the videos of your beautiful layout!  I hope I can do something just half as good one day, its been great inspiration to watch it come together over the years.

• Like 1

And about time too😂😂looks fantastic Scott.

How does it feel to finally get it all connected up and running? Did it all connect together ok? Tho I m guessing there s no reason why it should nt have.

well done Scott,some good work there buddy👍👍

That's just beautiful! it's great to finally see the trains running through that beautiful Tokuyama station and pass that industrial landscape!

Great job there and thanks for sharing!

11 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

All I can say is WOW.  Amazing work, thanks for sharing the videos of your beautiful layout!  I hope I can do something just half as good one day, its been great inspiration to watch it come together over the years.

Thanks Kiha66, I'd definitely recommend keeping it smaller next time around, I wish I could put it up more often/permanently.

11 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

And about time too😂😂looks fantastic Scott.

How does it feel to finally get it all connected up and running? Did it all connect together ok? Tho I m guessing there s no reason why it should nt have.

well done Scott,some good work there buddy👍👍

Thanks Paul, I only had enough transition pieces to connect one of the 4 loops together. The corner module isn't finished at all, hence why it's out of shot to the right. Lots of catenary still to add along the long straights and detailing too.

8 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

That's just beautiful! it's great to finally see the trains running through that beautiful Tokuyama station and pass that industrial landscape!

Great job there and thanks for sharing!

Thanks Jr500, I need to learn how to film properly too, daylight would probably help and moving clutter out of the way

5 hours ago, velotrain said:

You'll just have to sell the second car, or store it outside on a permanent basis . . .

Haha that's what it's looking like will have to happen, as I don't have a room in the house big enough to store it set up.

There's one radical solution you could use that I've seen used elsewhere - long ago in a MR magazine.  Create a sturdy framework under the entire layout and use some sort of rope/cable hoist in each corner to raise it up to the ceiling when the garage space is in car mode.  The critical part is getting all four corners to do a synchronized lift - either manual or motorized.  To operate the layout, move the car out of the garage, lower the layout and connect the wiring, and you're good to go.  If the lift mechanism is smooth enough, you could even store the trains on the layout.

• Like 1

There are commercial cable lift mechs out there not too expensive to do exactly this. But it requires that very sturdy framework to go under the layout and also the proper ceiling strength and support to support it. 

For temp setups a light framework of wood that couuld hinge and bolt together quickly and a few ikea $4 legs could get you a surface to plop the modules on. This is what we did for our jrm 2.0 layout that was basically circular. It was 1x2 girders with some cross pieces. These were about 10' long and folded in half with hinges. Then two end frames bolted to the ends of these to make the full framework. This then could sit on sawhorses, tables, or legs. Modules plopped on the girder framework and we had thumbbolts that locked the modules onto the framework. Sorry I just realized I never took pictures of just the framework set up.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/newlayoutmodules/pages/page_7.html

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Had a chance to catch up with Eurostar in the weekend. The local club in his town had a model railway show and a friend and I were operating a New Zealand themed TT scale layout. Enjoyed seeing his modules in the flesh and did some video which i will be editing this week. Its so much better than photos can depict. Eurostar is also building some NZ120 (TT) scale wagons and locos. 

Thanks for the hospitality Eurostar

DSC_2051 (1280x853).jpg

DSC_2053 (1280x853).jpg

latest Eurostar project . A 3D print of New Zealand Ka steamer with streamlining .

DSC_2056 (1280x853).jpg

Eurostars scratchbuilt S scale model of a New Zealand  DC class loco. uses a standard commercial chassis

DSC_2059 (1280x853).jpg

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 3