My Tokuyama station layout

Eurostar25

Thanks for the comments guys, this next scene is freelanced so I may struggle without a Google maps reference for this one!

You re gonna have to make it up as you go along mate,welcome to my world!! Ha ha

Edited by Pauljag900

Have been busy with work lately so I haven't got a lot to show.

I've been focusing on the shed area while waiting for track pieces to arrive

A few photos show the progress, mainly using foam board as a filler under the ballast, then building up the ballast around the footpaths around the shed. Plenty more weathering to keep me busy in the meantime anyway.

post-921-0-24233300-1471433432_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-09584900-1471433767_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-04929600-1471433787_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Put the Kato engine shed back together this morning, now I can continue laying footpaths and ballast to fill in the blank places. The weathering of the rails and ballast is still wet but should dry with a matte finish. Awaiting on a few bits from Japan before I can complete the scene within the scene.

post-921-0-09879000-1471479400_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I wasn't such a fan of the bright green colour, so painted it closer to the tomix railroad office that's in the other corner

A bit of progress over the last 2 days with the arrival of trackwork to complete the scene. Now the scenery building can begin properly. So much more to do, but its heading the right direction I think.

post-921-0-85802500-1472361543_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Having just got back from our honeymoon, fortunately there was a failed delivery notice on the doorstep which turned out to be the 3 car kato E6 shinkansen from yahoo auctions, which I had won 2 weeks ago. At ¥4000 I couldn't turn it down! I lost the decision on where to have the honeymoon as we'd been to Japan already for the wedding she said.

I never really set out to get the JR. East shinkansen fleet but they've definitely grown on me, I think it's the bright colours in an otherwise gray (in my scene at least) scene.

Thought I may as well get the freight fleet out to try their new home. No new detailing on the module since the last update above. That'll change this week hopefully.

post-921-0-42573200-1473131779_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-10073900-1473131801_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-80186500-1473131820_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The whole module looks superb mate,I m like you ,I m not really a big fan of the E6 but the colours are really nice and bright,it looks right at home on that viaduct mate,good effort

Paul

Wow the module looks great! Thanks for sharing!

How did you get that EF510, the blue cargo loco, to light up its head lights? That E6 fit exactly and sweetly into the length of that viaduct!

Thanks guys

@JR500 - the cargo loco is an EH200 going for a look on the spur line to the gas plant - mainly doing clearance runs. I actually had the power on the line at the time so it was actually about to move off, it's one of my better locos that runs well at low power and can crawl along, a bit of cheating really for the photo op!

Ah.. I see... sorry i'm a noob when it comes to freight locomotives...  :(

Nice shot anyway! It's great to see your modules turn to life! 

No problem JR500, I'm trying not to get too involved in the freight world other than this module and one container and one tank train. I'm running out of space to store them at the moment! Time to get off yahoo auctions...

• Like 1
Krackel Hopper

Eurostar25,

Great module design and landscaping! I'm curious about your bridge module. As best I can tell you are using the standard 33mm track spacing for your ground level tracks. On the bridge module you are using single track girder bridges, but those bridges are too wide for 33mm spacing. How did you get around that? Did you shave down the bridge? Are you using 49.5mm spacing instead?

Hi Krackel hopper, you're right I do use the 33mm spacing on the ground level tracks. For the bridge you're right the girders are a bit thick so where the girders are touching each other the spacing is 35mm. I just made sure the end joining sections are back to the 33mm spacing so the modules align. Prior to each girder is a minimum of a 124mm straight which was then angled ever so slightly out to allow for the extra 2mm spacing required. I did think about cutting the girders but then saw the truss bridges also would've needed hacking. I wanted the offset bridges just for something visually different.

post-921-0-27989200-1473628631_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The roadworkers managed to get their pavements sealed, road markings done and footbridge constructed just in time for the public holiday which means the area is deserted of any workers, except the crew working the local shunt to the gas works and the suburban commuter, for them there is no break today.

Unfortunately local construction crews hadn't quite finished their work on the overhead viaduct which will enable through running over the shrine next door, that work will commence tomorrow.

post-921-0-26798300-1473633000_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-60747900-1473633041_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-01954800-1473633084_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-55269200-1473633105_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-29987700-1473633121_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

What a great layout you are building module by module !  First time I had looked at this thread and am really impressed with your work.

Good idea building a model of your wife's hometown station.  It does help keep their interest in, or at least tolerance of our hobby.  I had the same idea in 2010 and am still working on filling in the neighborhood with structures.  In my case the prototype I am modeling was demolished around 2006 when the surface line was replaced by a subway.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to following future posts.

cheers

• Like 1

@Brad - thanks for the comments, it certainly,helps,get her family on board when they visit! Although I did have my first "gee it's getting a bit big" comment today...

@Kato - the 321 Series is actually fresh out of the Kinki Sharyo workshops in Osaka and is on a shake down run on the Sanyo Main Line, 415km away from where it was built. It'll soon return East after a crew change at Tokuyama as its run has so far been a success.

• Like 2
Eurostar25,

Wow! That's amazing work and looks like there is more to come. I certainly can't wait to see the next module!

I promise myself each time I see a beautiful layout, that I will start work on mine. And somehow 8 years have passed since I purchased tracks to start on my layout. I am hoping your modular approach will get me started. :)

Once again, amazing work and the closeups are very real to me! Congratulations also, on your marriage. Don't take the "...bit big" comment lightly! You have additional expenses coming up for gifts :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments John.

I had to go modular as we don't own the house we are in at present so a move is inevitable sadly. This way I'm hoping they'll be more suitable to transport than one big piece. However in saying that I see more and more table top layouts that I think look brilliant and would be easier to manage!

There's 4 more modules to go, 2 of which will be another station this time at low level, but I'm looking forward to them in due course and finally running a loop with the trains that I've got rather than the short stretches they are currently captive in.

• Like 2

I've always said Murphy's law of model trains is build a full built in layout and you will be forced to move just when the layout is really coming together! I've been planning the basement layout to be sectional and in bits no bigger than can easily be moved out the path out and crated up. Then use motorcycle electrical connections between each section. That will ensure we don't move midstream!

Doing smaller sectional like Eurostar also means you can display the modules on shelves (even a column ones in the corner for the corner modules) when there is not the space to have them up all the time. Plus at some point you may want to take it to an event to show it off or just outside to take pictures with nice light and backgrounds!

Eurostar's have been so fun to watch come together and very special with the background stories to some of the scenes!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1