Balancing multiple modeling interests?

Ken Ford

I've said it before, I have the modeling attention span of a goldfish...

Last night I took stock of my various open, active Japanese modeling projects:

1. Randen in N scale - working on modules starting from the terminal at Kitanohakubaicho.  Slow sledding at the moment.

2. A generic N scale tram loop for running in cars - benchwork almost done, then it's time to lay track (already on hand).  This one will look like the Randen but isn't meant to represent anything in particular, I just want to try building a Japanese style minimum space layout.

3. Hakone Tozan in N scale - trackplanning and gathering equipment for a module representing the switchback at Kami-Ohiradai.

4. Etsumihoku Line in N scale - trackplanning for a small module representing the station and river crossing at Echizen-Shimoyama.

5. Some kind of modular N scale inspired by T-Trak but optimized for Japanese trams - hopefully back in gear now that I've found other locals that are interested in doing this.

6. HO scale shunting layout - trackplanning for a small shunting plank representing an urban industrial track serving a brewery ca. 1985 or so.

7. HO Nishikigawa Seiryusen - trackplanning and building equipment for Nishikichō Station in 12mm gauge.  My current fire in the belly.

Plus all my non-Japanese modeling!  (US O scale traction, US HO scale C&NW and others, US S scale Milwaukee Road, British 4mm Eastern Region, etc., etc.)

And I wonder why nothing ever gets done... but at least I'm having fun!

• Like 4

Here's a new prototype for you to model ;)

post-1206-0-71323600-1427725335_thumb.jpg

I must admit, as work on my main layout is stalled (need a whole lot of time I don't have to get the fundamentals in place) I'm delving into the side-hobby of fixing motive power units, of which I've acquired a fair number, many of which were on sale and don't run as well as they could do. Surprisingly addictive and satisfying, especially as I never used to be good with fiddly little parts. Luckily that is distracting me from creative ideas involving random bits of unused shelf and track...

• Like 1

Yes common here as well, ooh bright shiny object syndrome!

Woodworking, house projects, electronics dabbling, club layout, ttrak, train repairs for myself and other club members and helping other club members build their layouts (trying to curb this), and wanting to get back into metal work all compete all the time. The new silhouette die cutter is also sitting there yelling to suck me into making all sorts of custom structures as well!

Guess it's better than not having hobbies, can't imagine that.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 3
Nick_Burman

Oh well...

- On30, South American prototype - gave up on it, shedding stuff;

- HO/HOn30, again south of the border - in flux, finding difficult to set on a potential layout;

- N scale, Japanese prototype - stopped for lack of supplies.

- "#16 Gauge", Japanese prototype - plain stopped.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Actually that reminds me... On my todo list is a very small OO/HO depot layout to store/display my old British trainset stock on (which has been living in boxes and following me around the globe for the last 25 years).

• Like 1

My list:

a ) Z scale epoch 3 German branch line:

-small toolbox layout ready (a loop with a 2 track station and a stop)

-lots of rolling stock and mainly tank steam locomotives and some early diesels and an old plan for a larger layout (waiting for enough space)

b ) Nj scale Japanese:

-a half sceniced hakone tozan layout (it was made for a certain shelf, but i moved since then and now it doesn't fit anywhere)

-a tabletop modular traction layout (tracks, electronics, buildings and benchwork ready, i need more time to finally assemble it)

-a modular club layout (two half finished modules on my side)

-lots of rolling stock, mostly JNR and private between 1950-1987 (mainly Tomix and Tomytec with a few others and two modern sets)

c) Nuk scale British Rail south region 3rd rail, rail blue era:
-rolling stock only and lots of plans for a modular shelf layout (sadly the plans are way longer than my current shelfs)

d) N scale Hungarian:

-rolling stock only, mostly for running on my club's Hungarian fremo layout (just 3 loks and matching trains, my only DCC equipped sets)

-a double track signal station/road crossing module for the fremo layout (work in progess, inspired by an old Hungarian movie)

e) 1:42 (L gauge) Lego, mostly Hungarian and a few Japanese rolling stock with a large Hungarian terminal station (Deli) in epoch 3/4 and once i put together a temporary Japanese styled layout for a show (Lego is easy to rebuild), as always i have more rolling stock (around 40 meters all lined up) than track to put them on (and i can't assemble the whole station at home, since it's a bit larger than the space in my living room and the corridor next to it combined)

f) 4 BTTB trains in very bad, but more or less working condition from when i was very young, originally bought by my father starting when i was 2 years old (they are just stored on a shelf behind glass)

At least 3 of them are N gauge and can be run together (slightly unprototypically) and the Z scale stuff doesn't need a lot of space (just a few small toolboxes actually) and i already know that i built slightly more lego trains than i should have.

Current plans:

-finish DCC electronics for the club (target date: march 2015, yes i know...)

-finish Nj home modules (target date: asap)

-finish N fremo module (target date: august 2015, for exhibition)

-repair Lego station and trains (target date: october 2015, for exhibition)

-finish Nj club modules (target date: october 2015)

• Like 1

I think it could happen to the most of us.  When I first started, I just wanted to do T-Trak and make generic modern mid-west American scenery with UP/BNSF/Amtrak models.  Then picked up a Shinkansen under kids orders, then Japanese modelling snowballed from there.  Then certain trains and regions associated with them took my fancy.  And the a 14 day trip through Japan also picked up other interests.

Plans (in no specific order):-

1. Generic Japan cityscape 4x8 layout.

2. Ostu area mini layout, size unknown.

3. Kyudai Main Line 2.5x5.0 layout depicting Bungomori Station with old roundhouse in background and Sugikawachi Station with Jion Waterfalls in the background.  single line oval layout with backboard in centre to hide both scene from each other.

4. Randen layout (might turn into a larger Kyoto layout).

5. Generic Japan scenry T-Trak modules.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

Geez. Balancing? I've never heard of that!

- Keisei (and related) early 1990s rolling stock collection;

- Sotetsu and a fictional company Sagamihara Development Railroad contemporary rolling stock collection (on hold);

- Fictional unnamed company with max. 16m rolling stock and small layout;

However, that is not all: I'm currently learning 3D modeling for the purpose of creating those trains I want that aren't available as ready-to-run models or only as difficult (and expensive) to obtain brass kits, thus venturing into spaces unknown and unlimited possibilities!

• Like 2

Apart from the projects that didn't get any further than staying in my brain for a while, there's basically one project I'm trying to focus on at the moment: T-Trak modules sort of based on the Keihan Ōtsu Lines. I am already collecting rolling stock for this project, but apart from a few sketches of prospective modules there's not really much progress.

Some other interests I want to realize someday are:

- A more JR-ish suburban/rural modular N scale layout with detachable overhead poles to simulate either an electrified or non-electrified line depending on what rolling stock I want to run at that time

- A small Dutch/European H0 tram layout to run my European H0 scale trams on

As for rolling stock I have this Keihan Ōtsu Lines collection that is slowly getting out of hand. I am also sort of collecting JR Shikoku trains, but they are expensive to collect so that project is on-hold for now.

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

Kanjiyama satisfies my branch line attraction, but I do have plans for a Iida line layout...I have the boards and stock. I also have a long-term ambition to do something Tokyo-based.

Perhaps a pipe-dream, but I have a decent amount if Japanese H0...I have to do something with that also!

Also on the go is our club project, an H0 layout based on Berlin Freidrichstrasse in the 1950s.

P.S. I also have fish...a most enjoyable diversion!

• Like 4

I have a full-scale DCC conversion project going on, but I'm still on my first locomotive. (I'm making progress on it, though.)

At the same time, I'm trying to rejigger my layout so there's more going on. Working in Anyrail trying to come up with something.

I also used to build model ships and I've had a hankering to take it up again. No idea how I'm going to balance that while still trying to convert all my stuff to DCC. I have a feeling it's going to be years before I finish much of anything.

Well, it's good to have projects. The worst is feeling like you have nothing to do.

• Like 1

Yes it seems to be a universal part of the hobby. I have been through it all over a 40 year period I suppose you could say, I find that being in a club helps me a lot as I can admire the models of others without the need to have all of them myself! I have also painted a number of Locos for other which has also given me the fix I need without spending all my money on the same things. Although I'm in Australia I model American HO scale representing the C.I.&.l.L. "The Hoosier Line" in the early diesel period and have done a fair amount of painting and kitbuilding to achieve this. My interest in Japanese models goes back to the mid 70's when I bought a Kato C62, not long after discovering Hirotas book on JR steam Locos. I'm now building a small 4 track Kansai theme terminal station for my latest stuff bought on my last trip.... a 117 set and a 225 4 car set...and of course there's more to come....a thunderbird set..... 103 set......181 and of course another C62 ...and maybe a Tomix C57...............................No I'm fine really! :read2:

• Like 2

I find that being in a club helps me a lot as I can admire the models of others without the need to have all of them myself:

LOL I guess our club does not meet often enough running trains (only every month or two) and we get the opposite always happening when a new model shows up you immediately hear two or three "I gotta get me one od those!" And next time there are three of those trains there!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

I know that feeling Jeff however I tell myself NO! and turn the other way.......on our HO/OO layout we have lots of variety with plenty of Australian, English, American and also European trains we also have one member who models early 1900's German stock..........  N gauge is the same with a good variety of Shinkansen and regular Japanese trains along with U.S. and British, I watch them all, take some photos for the club newsletter and go home happy...with my money in my pocket!

Our club website is www.goldcoastmodelrailwayclub.com if anyone is interested,,,, our newsletter is also on the site.

Warren

Edited by wazzd

Our club website is www.goldcoastmodelrailwayclub.com if anyone is interested,,,, our newsletter is also on the site.

Warren

Thanks for the invite Warren.  I'll have to come down and check it out.  I used to visit the guys at Brendale every now and then.  And wife will be happy as I can drop her off a Harbour Town.

We've got a shelf layout that we work on now and then. It's strictly B Train Shorty territory as its got r117 corners. I'm toying with a version of Ochinomizu station and tying that into something. We've just begun 4 t trak modules. My son has a layout on two doors that's always growing. I want to investigate DCC (but the budget dictates that). And... we're always messing with RC trucks as well.

So far my son Noah wants to model Japanese railroads but he doesn't mind a Via rail passenger train passing by the Whitepass RR steam train as a Shinkansen flies by on the elevated track.

Cheers eh,

Todd 

This is the reason I've not posted for soooo long. I've been in german/canadian mode... But I've finally got a solution (I think)

The garage layout is mainly CN in the Maritimes 70s/80s, there is a scenic break with a german scene double track along a river,

Around the other side of the peninsular is a British station, all scenically divided.

My old canadian test layout in my studio is being converted to a simple double track Japanese layout

Hopefully I'll be able to push all of them forward as my interest flops back and forth!

Graham

Graham - good luck in not flopping your interests back and forth.....for me I'm like the dog that is concentrating on one thing and all of a sudden it's "SQUIRREL!!!" and runs off to get it. :)

• Like 1

I'm always a little in awe of people who can focus their modelling interests on just one scale, gauge or prototype, coz I certainly can't.

These days I have four main areas of interest.

One is late steam-era JNR in 1/80th scale, probably the subject I find most appealing.

Two is a freelance US interurban line in HO. I've posted photos of some of the models I'm building for that project are on another thread on the forum.

Three is an obscure 2'6"/762mm gauge line in the Belgian Congo. I have made some progress on building locos and stock in HOn30 for that as well, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Four is the generic European HO tramway layout that my son Harry and I are building, also featured elsewhere on the forum.

At least I'm limiting myself to one scale, more or less...

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton