Hakone Tozan Railway

Guest ___

Thinking of doing one day here, but not sure in mid-to-late October what the line will be like to work. Ridewise, it looks great, but from a fanning and photography angle, I haven't been able to locate many good sight-lines to get shots from. anyone on here have fanned it?

The classic spots are the stations, especially the switchback ones and many photos are taken through the front window of the trains, especially at switchbacks when the other train is arriving. There is a road bridge near the famous railway bridge, where you can take nice photos and the sharp ramp and bridge just behind Odawara station is also a classic spot. I would say that Miyanoshita station is good too (my favourite) and you can walk around the station at track level too (thanks to the level crossing) to get good angles and the two tight curves around the station allow nice views if you move slightly off the designated walking area and walk a bit along the tracks. These are the spots i know of, but there should be others.

Thanks, KVP, so far your suggestions are in line with google's image search as well, minus Miyanoshita. May have to get creative with how I plan to work that line.  I wish they had a day pass. Looking at the station layout, I pretty much have to alight and exit to get to the other platforms to shoot. I didn't see a day pass on their english web site anyway.

Edited by Shashinka

That's good to know. Hmmm. ¥1540... that's not too bad. I may go for one of those. I plan to take the ropeway as well. I'm machine translating the web page. I am correct in reading that the ropeway is included? Looks like only railway and cable railway. The cable car costs extra.

Edited by Shashinka
edit: remove cable car