3D Modeling; The Future

Kabutoni

Hi, here is my latest 3D print which is a Z Gauge Japan Rail Freight UM12A

post-766-0-54752300-1461363035_thumb.jpg

Planning on printing some more and painting them in various colours, Green, Dark Blue etc .......

I have put it up on shapeways

http://shpws.me/M69E

• Like 4

Hi, I just received a box from Shapeways yesterday which contained a prototype of my latest 3D printed model which is a YO8000 in Z Scale.

So far I have only given it a grey undercoat but black paint will be applied very soon.

Very pleased with the quality of print from Shapeways.

post-766-0-06880400-1465943968_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-72804700-1465943972_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-89607000-1465943981_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-05524000-1465943989_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Yes it is a bit fragile but yeah hopefully should be ok if handled carefully. I am interested in that new material, looks very good. Might try it for a future modeling project. Time to get the black paint out.

It's the same material and technology the small phone printer project a few pages back plans to use. The hard UV cured variant is used for example for tooth replacement.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopolymer

You can kind of think of it as a mix of styrene and dried acrylic paint. Should be UV and water resistant when dry and resist oxidation. (you can also use acrylic paint as a flexible filling agent, for low voltage electrical insulation or even cast some shapes, just calculate with a high volume loss during drying)

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

Desban,

Excellent! another great model! I got your test container and it came out great! have to paint it and decal. thanks for the decals as well! 

toni,

ooooh the acrylate looks very promising! and cheaper! also being black hopefully good a light blocking for lit things! yell if you offer up any of your stuff in it and ill give it a whirl!

cheers

jeff

Hi Jeff, great to read that you got the container and thank you for buying it.

Here is an update of the painted YO8000, no transfers yet and this is just a prototype so I want to make a few improvements with it and have another print made. Not happy with the size of the holes for the wheels and also the coupler height can be improved a little bit.

post-766-0-40121800-1466179973_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-52238400-1466180006_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Desban!

surface looks good even for z scale! hope the new acrylate printing is even smoother and stronger for this! im hoping that really helps as the one thing i dont like about the FUD is the rough surface. ok for somethings like wood or cement, but for metal its just aint quire right at n scale and smaller.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

This week only, free shipping at shapeways.com!

Terms & Conditions

Free shipping promo applies to our lowest-price shipping option in each country.
This promo only applies to all orders over $25 USD.
No cash value.
Expires August 21, 2016 at 11:59PM PDT.
  • Like 3

Drats. Just as I'm in the countryside and have absolutely no means of making a quick new design to test some new materials... Maybe I'll order a few older designs in new materials this week anyway.

• Like 1

Hi, I have just completed a few modifications to the YO8000. After the next test print it should be going up for sale.

Hi Jeff, great to read that you got the container and thank you for buying it.

Here is an update of the painted YO8000, no transfers yet and this is just a prototype so I want to make a few improvements with it and have another print made. Not happy with the size of the holes for the wheels and also the coupler height can be improved a little bit.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160617_165322.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160617_165415.jpg

Hi, I have just completed a few modifications to the YO8000. After the next test print it should be going up for sale.

Here is a video of the 3D render

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtqmbwko4lim2p3/Yo8000.mp4?dl=0

Way to push it through! That's great work.

Inobu

P.S just check on that OLO so called 3D printer and they changed the name from OLO to ONO.

The last time I heard that was Mr Bill.

• Like 1
HantuBlauLOL

P.S just check on that OLO so called 3D printer and they changed the name from OLO to ONO.

but their recent video says OYEAHITSNOTASCAM instead of ONO

Edited by HantuBlauLOL

My first foray (as a consumer) into the world of 3D modelling, however I've just received this from Shapeways:

38241142254_bd90dae849_z.jpg

3D cab printing issue by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The cab ends on both cars should be essentially identical, but the one on the right has a bad case of "acne" and generally poor definition which will be near-impossible to fix to the same standard as the one one the left. While I fully expect to need to perform some improvements, this doesn't seem acceptable to me.

I've complained to Shapeways already, has anyone else encountered similar issues and if so how were they resolved?

Edited by railsquid
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

My first foray (as a consumer) into the world of 3D modelling, however I've just received this from Shapeways:

The cab ends on both cars should be essentially identical, but the one on the right has a bad case of "acne" and generally poor definition which will be near-impossible to fix to the same standard as the one one the left. While I fully expect to need to perform some improvements, this doesn't seem acceptable to me.

I've complained to Shapeways already, has anyone else encountered similar issues and if so how were they resolved?

those are ex support joint for SLA prints.

seriously they didn't clean that? oh cmon, professionals.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, railsquid said:

I had a tram body that was warped.It had been flagged as a problem before it shipped and then it suddenly shipped. I reported it and sent a photo to Shapeways.  They agreed there was a problem and did a reprint at no cost to me. Nothing to be lost in reporting it to customer service.

• Like 1
On 8/15/2016 at 5:39 PM, Kabutoni said:

Toni, do you ever do design projects on request? Or do you just sell items that you develop for your own layout? Would you be interested in designing some small custom LED light guides?

On 12/11/2017 at 1:25 AM, railsquid said:

I had parts printed but while in production I was emailed showing the result which was a model had been printed but turned an odd yellowed colour in one of the two items, they asked if I wanted the two of them the way they were; one yellow and one normal FUD to which I said no and they printed it again and shipped both the normal colour FUD models, took an extra week but they were open about the error in printing. Hopefully they do the same and do a reprint for you

On 12/12/2017 at 3:10 PM, gavino200 said:

Toni, do you ever do design projects on request? Or do you just sell items that you develop for your own layout? Would you be interested in designing some small custom LED light guides?

Due to art/illustration work and family life being so busy, I'll have to refrain for now from doing any more 3D designs. Very sorry!