KATO Unitrack Soundbox

E231-500

I revive this thread just to say how much I would like a DE10 and getaden sound cards. I would buy a sound box straight away. It may well be that someone from Kato reads this forum.

Edited by Khaul

You probably shouldn't count on it.

That's been suggested in the past, but I suspect all of us make up perhaps a ten-thousandth (if that) of Kato's market.

You are quite right, but I guess DE10s are very popular among Japan modellers. I read something about diesel loco sound cards being in development when they came up with the first one for a DMU.

I've been recently tempted to get a soundbox, but am still on the fence.  Has anyone on the forum gotten one or seen one in person?   

This past weekend at the Worlds Greatest Hobby show in Pittsburgh, Kato reps were there and let the Ohio Valley T-trak guys use one. Even with the crowd noise the sound level was clear. Horns and bells too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, mry1210 said:

This past weekend at the Worlds Greatest Hobby show in Pittsburgh, Kato reps were there and let the Ohio Valley T-trak guys use one. Even with the crowd noise the sound level was clear. Horns and bells too.

Thanks!  

I also had the chance to see (or rather hear) one in action last year at a smaller club exhibition, one guy with an American Layout used one. The sound was really good, especially because he had external speakers plugged in, contrary to the tinny/rattly sound you usually hear from the tiny speakers built into locomotives. (Or if other people in your vicinity don't like the sound you can use headphones)

Been considering to get one myself for my Japanese Trains, just need to convince myself to get over the price tag  :laugh:

Buy it...  You’ll like how the motor and model moves along as the throttle is moved.   As for the Kiha 231.    Go over to YouTube and listen to a few of the videos.   Less the jingle tune.   If you want to be cheap just use your cellphone and record the audio from the video especially the jingle to play for the ladies at the Japanese eatery...  As would the Chinese girls get super excited as well ?    

You might get get a few more noodles.

I purchassed the KATO Soundbox last year.  Hooked it up according to videos I watched and double checked with instructions included.  Upon turning on power supply, an MRC Sound and Power, the locomotive immediately raced uncontrollably down the track - full speed ahead and stopping only when power supply was turned off.  I talked to dealer about it and he has no answers.  Can't find any KATO source to call or write.  Anybody else had this problem?  I have never been able to use it properly.

Could you tell us a bit more about your setup, so we can be of better assistance? e.g. what powerpack you use, which train... or make a picture.

It was a dc only train, correct? Are you sure you have the variable power hooked to the sound box? I would assume the sound box has the variable input to know how loud/fast to make sounds and probably a 12v input to just run the sound box. If you put the 12v fixed dc into the variable input it would make the train just run like a bat out of hell (ie full throttle) irregardless of he throttle setting.

jeff 

just read all the posts on this guys, thanks. I am thinking of getting one, obviously there are no tram sound cards but something may be of use...

Tony

ok, so looks like I have won one on Fleabay for£150 so bit of a bargain, just need to source a card that is vaguely Tram in sound..