Malaysia/Singapore high speed rail- shinkansen system?

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

SENDAI: Japan has shown keen interest in taking up the Malaysia-Singapore High Speed Rail (HSR) project, says Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

Muhyiddin, who is on a working visit to Japan, said the Japanese government had been aggressive in expressing its interest for the mega project.

It is also keen to support its private company – the East Japan Railway Company (JR East) – for this project.

“Even Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had requested to meet me to convey his interest. The project was the number one topic of discussion during our talks.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/03/16/Japan-keen-on-High-Speed-Rail-project-says-DPM/

While it will be REALLY nice to be able to SEE and RIDE JR East shinkansen out of Japan, my anticipations for this to actually become real is quite low. I spoke to some of the Japanese ambassadors at the recent shinkansen exhibition here in Singapore and they express really keen interest too, but they also agreed with me end of the day it's still a price war, and high likely Japanese system will NOT be the cheapest.

There's the China HSR system really close behind, and price wise they have the upper hand. While Singapore is really keen to have Japan's zero accident record for their HSR, it is STILL Malaysia's HSR so to speak. Now if the Malaysians' would share the same view that will be good..  

Japan can show all the interest they want.  Buy they are the seller, not the buyer.  I find articles like this completely misleading and useless.

Guest keio6000

This is a fairly unique case in that, outside of either an extension to penang/butterworth and a highly speculative extension to batam, any high speed line built there is unlikely to be connected to any other ever (this assumes that southern thailand will continue to be a backwater for the next 50-100 years).   This means that they can be highly aggressive and innovative in choosing whatever technology they want - like vactrain perhaps.   A KL to singapore train need not have traditional shinkansen advantages such as huge passenger throughput, earthquake sensors, or temperature extreme robustness.  rather, it needs to show that the region can be an innovation leader, not a follower.  but then again, i've worked with the malaysian government.  my hopes are not high.

I believe that the Malaysians may NOT choose the systems from China, given the relatively short Chinese experience with such trains in terms of timeline. They may serious consider a bid from Alstom in France or Siemens in Germany, though.

I believe that the Malaysians may NOT choose the systems from China, given the relatively short Chinese experience with such trains in terms of timeline. They may serious consider a bid from Alstom in France or Siemens in Germany, though.

I can't see Malaysians have anymore experience than the Chinese in this area. Even of it were built, I seriously doubt the Malaysians would be any better off in the operations of such a system than the Chinese currently do.

With that said, I'd sleep better at night knowing if I had to ride said HSR, it was under the operational control of Singapore rather than Malaysia.

bikkuri bahn

The multi-billion ringgit high-speed rail link between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore is expected to miss its 2020 deadline by two years, Singapore's Business Times reported today. Citing unnamed sources, the business paper said 2022 may be a more realistic deadline as there were many unresolved issues in the mammoth project, which is estimated to cost nearly RM40 billion. "This (the delay) is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a huge project. More time is needed to sort some aspects out so that it can take off smoothly," a source close to the project was quoted as saying by The Business Times.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/kl-singapore-high-speed-rail-may-miss-2020-deadline-says-report

bikkuri bahn

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced on Tuesday that the Singapore terminus of the high-speed rail (HSR) between the city-state and Kuala Lumpur will be located in Jurong East. Announcing this at a joint press conference with Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak on Tuesday, Mr Lee said that this would dovetail with Singapore's overall plans to transform the area into its second central business district. The two leaders were speaking at the end of their annual Retreat.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/jurong-east-be-terminal-singapore-kl-high-speed-rail-7-things-about-t

JR 500系

Thanks for posting this.

It's actually sad news, since it's been delayed. It was announced by Malaysia's side that the construction will take 5 years, another 1 year for designing and another 1 year for tendering. Seriously, it takes way TOO long to be completed. I understand the complexity of terrains and such but they have already been talking about this for years and now more delays. Hurrah.

It was scheduled to be completed by 2020.

On that note, something interesting came up in the papers, I attached n the photo below. It is quite small to read, but it actually speaks of how China is completing hard with Japan for the HSR in Indonesia. China is VERY aggressive to get his project, and they would be even more to get this Malaysia/ Singapore project...

post-819-0-53057100-1431067071_thumb.jpg

Do Indonesians have the income to afford high speed rail travel?

Yes.  There are more Indonesian millionaires than the population of Tokyo.  Just go to Jakarta.  Shopping malls like the one beneath the Kempinski Hotel, Jakarta, (where I sometimes stay on business) are amongst the best in the world.  There's a lot of money in Indonesia.

bikkuri bahn

gee, I didn't know Tokyo was really a small town masquerading as a major world capital...

http://www.wealthinsight.com/pressrelease/indonesian-millionaires-rising-4367748

but seriously, looking at gdp per capita, Indonesia still has a long way to go. It's less than half of Malaysia. Of course if hsr is intended as transport for the rich and elite urban upper classes, ok. But long term, you need a strong middle class to form a viable customer base. Perhaps that will come eventually.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Hello,

That's interesting information.  It was an Indonesian who told me the comment I made.  He may not be correct, but I can assure you that Jakarta has some amazing shopping malls.  I can also assure you that not all incomes are declared, nor all taxes paid, as they are in Japan.  The Indonesian business model is quite different and must be respected in order to succeed in trade and business.  I wonder what Indonesian members of the forum have to say about the number of millionaires?

KUALA LUMPUR — Japan's Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Minister Keiichi Ishii has pitched his country's shinkansen bullet train system in his meeting with Malaysian regulators in Kuala Lumpur.

Ishii paid a visit on Thursday to the Land Public Transport Commission which is tasked with overseeing Malaysia's first high-speed railway project that will be jointly built with Singapore.

Ishii's first trip abroad since becoming transport minister in October "is a clear message to Malaysia about the enthusiasm of the Japanese government on the high-speed rail project," a Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism spokesman told reporters.

Kyodo report via the Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/756940/japan-promotes-high-speed-rail-in-malaysia