Hello from Indiana as well!

NB1231

Hello guys,

I'm from Indiana, just recently got into N scale and decided with my extra Amazon gift cards that I would get the Kato E4 max set and add-on set. Good investment in my opinion. I'm glad I have found this forum. Anyways, more about myself, I'm a current sophomore at Ball State University, studying special education, and I have loved trains since I was born. 

Nate! 

Nate,

Welcome! Glad you found us and Japanese trains! I think you will find it a really fun and creative hobby.

The E4 is one of my favorite trains, good choice! Do you have some track yet to run the train on? Any other trains? We can also point you to places to easily buy trains direct from Japan to get access to a wider variety of trains.

Poke around the forum and I think you will find lots of interesting things on modeling and real trains. Yell if you have questions.

Cheers

Jeff

SantaFe1970

This makes at least two of use from East Central Indiana.

Congratulations on keeping your train interest alive during the college years.

What do your fellow BSU students think of your model trains?

This makes at least two of use from East Central Indiana.

Congratulations on keeping your train interest alive during the college years.

What do your fellow BSU students think of your model trains?

Awesome!!! Thanks! It's easy since Muncie has a good flow of traffic

Nate,

very cool to hear that your classmates accept your hobby! Nice to hear. I still get funny looks from folks when they hear i do japanese model trains! But i usually chalk that up to a lack of interest in real hobbies in our modern culture.

you can always work on scenery bits to go around your loop, those are pretty cheap once you get some basic materials and fun to plop down and make things start to look fun, then just plop them in a box when study time is there! take a look at this article

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

also print out cardstock buildings are a great way to get something there for structures on the very cheap. lots of free pdfs out there on the web to download and print. others you can buy pretty cheaply and print out as well. contact me off line if you want some pdfs of structures like this. you can even do busses and trucks like this.

also check out the btrain shorties and the tomytec trains. while once you pimp them all out with motors and metal wheels and such they are not super cheap, still usually less expensive than the ready to run models and you can buy them in stages as you have funds! also can easily have 2 or 3 shells you pop onto one motor unit easily for some cheaper variety! btrains can allow you to do a pretty tight little layout in a very small space.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

the tomytec buildings are also pretty cheap and easy to pop together, but unfortunately not as cheap as they use to be, but a pretty decent deal.

the chinese architectural figures and cars you can buy on ebay are also really inexpensive. while not great detail, they can be fixed up with a little paint and care to look pretty good and very inexpensive alternative to the regular nice vehicles and figures until you can afford them.

so there are ways to leverage your budget into the hobby and keep it going thru the lean years! Main thing is to keep doing a little and having some fun with it and it slowly growing in what you do, learn, enjoy, etc.

cheers

jeff

Nate,

very cool to hear that your classmates accept your hobby! Nice to hear. I still get funny looks from folks when they hear i do japanese model trains! But i usually chalk that up to a lack of interest in real hobbies in our modern culture.

you can always work on scenery bits to go around your loop, those are pretty cheap once you get some basic materials and fun to plop down and make things start to look fun, then just plop them in a box when study time is there! take a look at this article

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

also print out cardstock buildings are a great way to get something there for structures on the very cheap. lots of free pdfs out there on the web to download and print. others you can buy pretty cheaply and print out as well. contact me off line if you want some pdfs of structures like this. you can even do busses and trucks like this.

also check out the btrain shorties and the tomytec trains. while once you pimp them all out with motors and metal wheels and such they are not super cheap, still usually less expensive than the ready to run models and you can buy them in stages as you have funds! also can easily have 2 or 3 shells you pop onto one motor unit easily for some cheaper variety! btrains can allow you to do a pretty tight little layout in a very small space.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

the tomytec buildings are also pretty cheap and easy to pop together, but unfortunately not as cheap as they use to be, but a pretty decent deal.

the chinese architectural figures and cars you can buy on ebay are also really inexpensive. while not great detail, they can be fixed up with a little paint and care to look pretty good and very inexpensive alternative to the regular nice vehicles and figures until you can afford them.

so there are ways to leverage your budget into the hobby and keep it going thru the lean years! Main thing is to keep doing a little and having some fun with it and it slowly growing in what you do, learn, enjoy, etc.

cheers

jeff

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely take advantage of my resources!!

Hi Nate

Welcome to the Forum.....it must be soothing studying and hearing the "click-ity-clack" of the train running on your desk.....I do

Hi Nate

Welcome to the Forum.....it must be soothing studying and hearing the "click-ity-clack" of the train running on your desk.....I do

Thank you, it really is indeed [emoji3] I love it! I have really tight curves so hearing the E4 zoom around and not derail all the time is so nice!!!