Keihan Ōtsu Lines model trains

Densha

I'm silently considering getting an 800 Series just because it will fit in with my short train fleet (albeit it being a bit long). Does anyone know if it will run smoothly through Tomix mini points and/or R140 s-curves?

Looks like it won't go through R140 with the Arnold coupler MicroAce ships the model with, but that it will with body mounted TN couplers, although obviously still looking damn ugly going through such narrow curves. Also, it doesn't seem to like S-curves at R140.

http://kyuri130.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-11.html

That reminds me, I still need to get the Keihan 800 series with old logo before it gets completely sold out everywhere.

• Like 1
Gordon Werner

I'm silently considering getting an 800 Series just because it will fit in with my short train fleet (albeit it being a bit long). Does anyone know if it will run smoothly through Tomix mini points and/or R140 s-curves?

here are the two releases running on Unitram Track ...

Thank you for the info. The Unitram video is known, but those are R180 curves, which many other trains will take easily. The main reason I asked were because of the S-curves for navigating yards/stations. Maybe I'll redirect my finances to another goal instead, as a lot of my Tomytec trains need motorisation...

I think the Keihan 800 also doesn't really fit into any of your current projects, as far as I remember them correctly. The 800 is really low and narrow, maybe even more so than your other interurbans. But it is still rather long, because 4 times 16.5 meters divided by 150 (about 42 cm) is still quite long. I also think the design doesn't fit in with your other trains, but that's really just a matter of taste, as the other Keihan interurbans actually also look strange side-by-side with the 800.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a compromise between a low profile metro design and high-floor tram, so not very strange to look like an uncompromising design. Back to the regular stuff indeed. It'd be weird for me anyway to somewhere beyond the western borders of Gifu prefecture anyway xD

Kansai trains often have designs very different from other Japanese trains anyway, but that's what makes them fun to me.

Also, I noticed that Tomytec bogies seem to place trains higher than they should. I noticed it when looking at the Tomytec Keihan trains side-by-side with the MicroAce Keihan 800. It doesn't take a trained eye to see that the MicroAce's Keihan 800 is at the correct height, but even though the floor and doors of the Keihan 350, 600, 700 and 800 are at the same height in prototype, the bogies of the Tomytec models put the train body much higher than it should. Now that I noticed this, I can't help but notice this on practically every Tomytec train in existence, though it looks especially bad on interurbans. On heavy rail trains the difference will probably be negligible because those bodies are already placed higher in prototype anyway, but interurbans are the main thing I like about Tomytec's Railway Collection...

Edited by Densha

The reason might be to have the same platform height for all trains and allow more room for the bogies to turn in tight curves. There is some play in this, as there are different wheel sizes available, so it's possible to lower the cars a bit by using smaller wheels, but that would alter the coupler height, so it must be done in a consistent way.

ps: is it me or does the illustration above show the 800 series sitting lower on its bogies compared to the other two?

Gordon Werner

Kansai trains often have designs very different from other Japanese trains anyway, but that's what makes them fun to me.

Also, I noticed that Tomytec bogies seem to place trains higher than they should. I noticed it when looking at the Tomytec Keihan trains side-by-side with the MicroAce Keihan 800. It doesn't take a trained eye to see that the MicroAce's Keihan 800 is at the correct height, but even though the floor and doors of the Keihan 350, 600, 700 and 800 are at the same height in prototype, the bogies of the Tomytec models put the train body much higher than it should. Now that I noticed this, I can't help but notice this on practically every Tomytec train in existence, though it looks especially bad on interurbans. On heavy rail trains the difference will probably be negligible because those bodies are already placed higher in prototype anyway, but interurbans are the main thing I like about Tomytec's Railway Collection...

you sure about the sill height?

I think the 600s and 700s are definitely higher than the 800s ... which is only evident at Hamaōtsu Station as it was rebuilt specifically for the 800s ... regardless doesn't bother me.

600.png600b.png700.png800.png

• Like 1
Gordon Werner

I think the Keihan 800 also doesn't really fit into any of your current projects, as far as I remember them correctly. The 800 is really low and narrow, maybe even more so than your other interurbans. But it is still rather long, because 4 times 16.5 meters divided by 150 (about 42 cm) is still quite long. I also think the design doesn't fit in with your other trains, but that's really just a matter of taste, as the other Keihan interurbans actually also look strange side-by-side with the 800.

Yeah, it's a compromise between a low profile metro design and high-floor tram, so not very strange to look like an uncompromising design. Back to the regular stuff indeed. It'd be weird for me anyway to somewhere beyond the western borders of Gifu prefecture anyway xD

MicroAce has some comparison photos w/JR KIHA 32

001.jpg

002.jpg

Gordon Werner

I have some pictures of my Keihan fleet over here and if you carefully compare it with prototype photos you can see that the Tomytec models really seem to have a larger space between the bogies and the body than they have in prototype. This page also has good side view pictures showing that it seems to be true: http://ntekken.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-580.html

sigh. of course. nature of how they are engineered.  Tomytec models are a compromise between inexpensive (relatively) display models and working ones. Not a deal killer (for me at least)

Gordon Werner

So I was perusing old photos of Hamaotsu station ... back when it was actually two stations (Hamaotsu Terminal and Hamaotsu East?) out of curiosity ... when exactly did the two stations get merged and the junction get reconfigured?

For those unfamiliar ...

Hamaotsu today

train arriving at Hamaotsu from Sakamoto heading towards Ishiyamadera on the Ishiyama-Sakamoto line w/Keishin line curving to the top

0.png

but back in the day ...

Train headed from Ishyamadera to Sakamoto (Ishiyama-Sakamoto line) leaving Hamaotsu East station (current site of Hamaotsu station)

2.png

Train headed from (old/former) Hamaotsu Terminal to Keihan Sanjo station (Keishin line)

3.png

Train headed to Ishiyamadera via Hamaotsu East from (ex/former) Hamaotsu Terminal station

4.png

Train heading to ex/former Hamaotsu Terminal from Keihan Sanjo station (Keishin line)

5.png

Train headed from Ishiyamadera via Hamaotsu East to Sakamoto (Ishiyama-Sakamoto line)

6.png

and the old track plan

S = spring switch | M = motorized switch

bottom left = track to Sakamoto | top right = track to Ishiyamadera | bottom right = track to Keihan Sanjo station

1.png

Edited by Gordon Werner
  • Like 3

So I was perusing old photos of Hamaotsu station ... back when it was actually two stations (Hamaotsu Terminal and Hamaotsu East?) out of curiosity ... when exactly did the two stations get merged and the junction get reconfigured?

According to wikipedia:

• 1980年7月23日 - びわこ国体の開催に絡み、京津線の浜大津駅と石山坂本線の同駅との統合が決定。江若鉄道の浜大津駅跡地に建設することとなり、地鎮祭と起工式を挙行。
    • 1981年
      • 4月12日 - 京津線と石山坂本線の駅を新駅舎に統合・移転。
      • 7月31日 - 移設・統合化工事が完成。
      • 10月3日 - 浜大津総合ターミナルが完成し、現在の形となる。

So in 1981...
Gordon Werner

Keihan has announced that they'll be painting units 701/702 in the style of the old 80 series trains for the Otsu lines' 55th Anniversary

Hopefully TomyTec will produce this (and normal colors) soon

55th.png

Das Steinkopf

Keihan has announced that they'll be painting units 701/702 in the style of the old 80 series trains for the Otsu lines' 55th Anniversary

Hopefully TomyTec will produce this (and normal colors) soon

55th.png

Hopefully I will get to ride her next year when I go there.

Gordon,

Can you point me to the original posting in Japanese? The automatic translation is rather incomprehensible.

Gordon Werner

Gordon,

Can you point me to the original posting in Japanese? The automatic translation is rather incomprehensible.

oops sorry. apparently I screens hotted it from Chrome which auto translates everything always whether I want it to or not.  But here you go!

55th-jp.png

this is where it's from: http://www.keihan.co.jp/traffic/specialtrain-goods/event-45th_series5000/headmark.html#hm-series80_55thanniv

Edited by Gordon Werner

seen on twitter last night / this AM ...

秋の京阪鉄コレ予想 ・700形の80形色なら買えるだけ買う ・700形の一般色なら買えるだけ買う ・600形のユーフォニアムなら一つだけ買う ・5000系先頭+中間なら買わない ・13000系先頭+中間なら二つ買う ・181+182なら一つだけ買う ・80形ポールなら13両分買う

which basically says we can expect to see the following this fall:

700 Series Keihan Otsu Train in 80 Series colors (post directly above)

700 Series in normal Keihan 2-tone green

600 Series in Hibike Euphonium colors (619-620)

5000 Series (you'll have to buy 2 sets for a whole train (I think))

13000 Series  (you'll have to buy 2 sets for a whole train (I think))

181+182 - Not sure what this is about

80 Series (not really sure what this is meaning (unless it's the single-unit version of the already released 80 series model)

corrections welcome

619ufo_z3.png619ufo_rz3.png703.pngCqIp3yUUEAAmarn.jpg-large.png

Mmmm want that Hibike Euphonium. Time to start hunting a pre order :D

Haha, same!

I was lucky enough to ride it last month (on Kumiko's Birthday actually)

post-3895-0-33096400-1473698197_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-50899300-1473698200_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-51869100-1473698203_thumb.jpg

• Like 1