A morning in Muhldorf- a commuter run in So. Germany

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Came across this short but interesting documentary (no narration), that shows the early morning run of a Regional Express service between Muhldorf and Munich East station. Single line working for a good portion, semaphores, class 218 diesels, 140km/h operation, good stuff.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 3
Nick_Burman

Why does the driving cab have a steering wheel?

That's the power/dynamic braking controller. Most earlier generation European diesels (like the 218s seen in the film) use this setup.

Abs NB

• Like 1

Also popular on 1960-ies to 1970-ies technology based electrics. On the oldest models, the wheel directly rotates the main controller drum. It allows a larger rotational range without extra gearing than the classic US style two levers arrangement. It can also be used for differential signalling, that allows any number of power steps without the control equipment or the trainline knowing about it. It also allows any automation equipment to move the throttle position without moving the physical handle.

For example, the use of a 6 position wheel in an ancient 300 series control car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0lVHaV-iQ

http://www.vonatka.hu/images/szemelykocsik/bdt320_axel.jpg

(emergency cutoff, step down continous, step down sigle, 0, step up single, step up continous)

And the datasheet for the drive system controlled from the cab car on the video:

http://www.ganzdata.hu/download/Fokozatkapcsolo_mozdony_transzformatorokhoz.pdf

It's an electropneutmatic tap changer system with 32 notches, but the same control car type can be used for diesels, ward leonard electrics and even MU capable steam locomotives.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

Brutally early start.  I'd think that one of the worst parts of railway work is the schedule.  I guess it would be true of any transportation work, although trains probably need more prep than a truck.

I assume the red sign waved by the conductor is for passengers.  Is this just to tell them that it's too late to board?

Around 11:20 the engineer waits to release the brakes until a red light goes out.  Does this indicate low air or something?  On a related note, she gives the brake handle a good push a few times.  In that episode of Japan Railway Journal last week, the host drove an EF63 at Usui.  It seemed to have a fairly sensitive brake.  Does this vary just because of total train weight, or are there other differences?

And today I learned: Lokführerin

The red light might be the open door indicator. The difference between brake application could be that japanese emu-s are mostly elektropneumatic, so each coach has a repeater. On the other hand older european stock is fully pneumatic, so the whole pipe is wented through the brake stand, unless in emergency when all cars went through their safety valves.

Nick_Burman

The red light might be the open door indicator. The difference between brake application could be that japanese emu-s are mostly elektropneumatic, so each coach has a repeater. On the other hand older european stock is fully pneumatic, so the whole pipe is wented through the brake stand, unless in emergency when all cars went through their safety valves.

I'm not sure, but in Europe only rolling stock which needs to run at 200kph and over is fitted with EP brakes. Everything else is straight pneumatic.

I think the long arc of movement is deliberate, to give the driver an ample selection of setting positions.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

Brutally early start.  I'd think that one of the worst parts of railway work is the schedule.  I guess it would be true of any transportation work, although trains probably need more prep than a truck.

And that because we are dealing with passenger trains. Freights are even worse. It's the freight engineer one has to spare a thought for...

Cheers NB

Yeah, sometime after I wrote that, I recalled hearing something about not doing streetview in Germany.  Oh well.

I've watched this video several times, I've got to say that this is the first railway video not about Japan that has held my interest.  I was hoping some of the forum's railwaymen would comment on my questions above.

The first non-excursion passenger train I ever rode was in Japan, so their general method of operation, everything from predominance of EMUs to fares/ticketing to ekiben,  I consider to be the standard :).  Sometimes I see other countries and I wonder why the hell they do something I perceive to be stupid, based on my observations in Japan.

Southeast Bavaria seems to be well organized, though.  Or maybe it's just the Lokführerin.  :grin :grin :grin

Darklighter

I assume the red sign waved by the conductor is for passengers.  Is this just to tell them that it's too late to board?

The orange disc is called "Zugbegleiter-Meldescheibe" (conductor signalling disc) or "Fertigmeldescheibe". According to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zugaufsicht it tells the  Lokführer(in) that the doors are closed and nothing/nobody is jammed in the doors.

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

Also popular on 1960-ies to 1970-ies technology based electrics.

Notably, this includes the original TGV Sud-Est stock, which was produced through 1985.

At my depot, Ipswich, a crew signs on at midnight whose job is to prepare the 6 six car and 1 three car trains in the yard for the morning's departures.  It mostly involves checking that everything works and nothing is loose or broken, it's not a bad job because you don't really do much if you have a good night and you are home for breakfast and then have the day off.  At some depots the outgoing crew preps their own train and they have to sign on an extra 40 minutes before departure on top of the normal 25 minutes.  In our present diagram our earliest shifts start at 0237, 0259 and 0320 then there are about six between 0400 and 0600.  The bleary eyed passengers grumbling about catching the 7.30 train to work don't realise the crew working their train may have already been awake for five or six hours.  What gets you is not the actual time but that you start at different times each day so you body clock doesn't settle into a ryhthm, over the next few weeks for example my workings are 0441, 0237, 0320, 0356, day off, 0601, 0441, 0320, 0445, 0532, 2 days off, 0417, 0001, 2 days off, 0508, 0456, 0836 then a week of what we call 'available for duty (AM)' where I can start at any time in the morning.  Then I go onto a couple of weeks of afternoon starts.  On advantage we have over the guys working freight is that we always spend the night at home even though we might be getting out of bed or just getting in at 2 am.

• Like 1

An alternative of this is to have fixed shifts. One version (at bkv) is to have morning to noon and noon to evening and evening to morning shifts. An extra shift exists for rush hour traffic which is a 4+4 hour split between morning and evening with two roughly 8 hour free times. The night crew is the smallest, only for 7/24 services and nightime buses. Depot crews are separate. Checks are done by the repair crews and depot movements are always done by hostlers who are also members of the maintenance staff. (this means you are allowed to move the vehicles at walking speed only and in the depot only, but you don't need a full license)