TV program heads up Saturday evening- Shinkansen 2 hr. special

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Once more for forumers in Japan, you may want to tune in to Asahi TV this coming Saturday evening, from 6:56pm~8:54, for a two hour special episode* of "Sekai ga odoroita Nippon! Sugo~idesune" variety/documentary program.  The topic will be the shinkansen, three railway staff from European railways (including an AVE driver and a former TGV driver) were invited to inspect the shinkansen system.  Other features about the shinkansen, including the opening that day Hokuriku Shinkansen, will be aired.

*no doubt 1/3 to 1/2 of the two hours will be commercials and unnecessary recaps of the previous segments.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

I might take a look, thanks.

no doubt 1/3 to 1/2 of the two hours will be commercials and unnecessary recaps of the previous segments.

Another 1/4 will be various tarento saying "heeeeeh!" and enlightening us with insightful comments ("sugoi!").

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like another nationalistic propaganda skit from Asahi. Look foreigners! We have a supreme labour intensive railway system! But hey, it's Shinkansen!

On a sidenote: ALL tv channels have been hyping up the Hokuriku Shinkansen and its tourist destinations for weeks already! The last few days also quite a few reports on the last runs (today for the last time) of the Twilight Express as well. 

bikkuri bahn

I might take a look, thanks.

Another 1/4 will be various tarento saying "heeeeeh!" and enlightening us with insightful comments ("sugoi!").

Yeah, unfortunately.  But its aired during dinnertime golden hours, so you got to keep the audience attention between the mouthfuls of food at the dinner table.

We have a supreme labour intensive railway system!

That happens to make money in many cases, unlike most other countries.

That happens to make money in many cases, unlike most other countries.

Fair enough. Let's see if it is as cringing as NHK's 'Cool Japan' xD

bikkuri bahn

I don't really care for the "lets have foreigners ooh and ahh" over things Japanese (along with the "why is a Japanese living in this third world hovel" programs), but alot of the stuff they introduce, especially regarding craftsmanship and commitment to detail, is quite true and not bragging.  I especially like the program "wafusohnonkei" on TV Tokyo.

I like the show title! Simply means Look at the surprised world @ Japan! Wonderful!

Wished I could watch it though... Sounds mighty interesting...

'Cool Japan' is actually quite scripted, as it's a government forced/induced project to compete with upcoming popular cultures, like Korea. Maybe I have a view that distances itself from the masses: I am a former Japanologist, I live in Japan, and my Dutch/Indonesian family part doesn't really have a colourful history with Japan, but I can see the appeal. In a nationalistic and glorifying way that is. 

This video quite clearly reflects my personal view on the whole subject:

Still, I love living here and I'm not planning on leaving Japan any time soon.

and my Dutch/Indonesian family part doesn't really have a colourful history with Japan, but I can see the appeal.

Maybe I am reading your post incorrectly.  And my apologies if so.  But the Dutch like the English did have a huge history with Japan in regards to Western and Southern Kyushu.

Or do you mean the battles between United States of Indonesia and Japan in WWII?

Edited by katoftw

Maybe I am reading your post incorrectly.  And my apologies if so.  But the Dutch like the English did have a huge history with Japan in regards to Western and Southern Kyushu.

Or do you mean the battles between United States of Indonesia and Japan in WWII?

A great-grandfather worked on the Burma Railway and got his achilles heel beaten up as a prosecution for an escape attempt. Other family members were imprisoned in concentration camps (luckily no losses). After that, there was the civil war, which was supported by the Japanese Imperial Army, that prompted almost the whole of my Indonesian part of the family to repatriate to the Netherlands.

In that sense, it's only the dark side. However, nobody has much remorse, since they knew what the reasons for the Japanese were to invade the Dutch-Indies. The same as the Dutch hundreds of years ago. I don't blame them for that, but I do put blame on any party still (be it the Japanese Imperial Army, the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army, Indonesian Resistance, whatever party) for the hardships and tragedies they have caused and never excused for properly.

Lessons for the future. Don't do it again kids.

---

P.s. I had a talk with some clients, on the theme of the 'Cool Japan' -with a few beers and snacks in a pub- and my opinion on this and they frankly couldn't really care for the whole 'Cool Japan' thing. In fact, a programme called 'You wa nani shi ni Nippon he' (Why did you come to Japan), by TV Tokyo is far more popular, as it approaches a more spontaneous and humane aspect of foreigners in Japan. Also, it's a bit more critical and less glorifying (and also more entertaining) than the government driven 'Cool Japan' programme from NHK on BS1.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Oh god please don't remind me of NHK's 'Cool Japan'... we were forced to watch it at university last year. Such programmes give foreigners an incorrect/incomplete view of Japan. The world is not only about roses.

Just like anime and manga gives off an incorrect image of Japan to many. Yes, I indeed know people who think that if they go to Japan it will be like anime...

it will be like anime

With blone haired big eyed girls running around with next to nothing on and two stories tall high tech robots in use everywhere... :)  :)  :)

On the other hand, it's just a PR show, like the extra super car oil sales pitches on late night tv. Even the train cruise series has some of this style, but if you ignore it and look for the actual content, then it's ok. (and if you really really want the half naked girls and a giant robot in one place, then go to the Tokyo Big Sight during a comiket)

I wonder how much of this program will be dedicated to the new Hokuriku Shinkansen service, which just started in revenue service a few hours ago (as I type this).

Errors and unable to watch or download.

Yes me neither... HTTP 404 error not found for download and 'an error has occurred' message for watching...

It plays fine now, thank you very much for sharing dabsan!

I haven't watch yet, but the first 5mins sure makes it sounds promising! High speed train operators from around the world gather to see the shinkansen training!

• Like 1

It plays fine now, thank you very much for sharing dabsan!

I haven't watch yet, but the first 5mins sure makes it sounds promising! High speed train operators from around the world gather to see the shinkansen training!

Thanks for confirming that it's playing ok now. :)

Thanks for sharing.

It wasn't a great show.  I'd assume most die hard train fans in Japan switched it off half way through.

The most interesting bit for me was the massive torque wrench that lit up like a christmas tree them you had the correct torque on the bolts.  Now that is a torque wrench. haha

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing.

It wasn't a great show.  I'd assume most die hard train fans in Japan switched it off half way through.

The most interesting bit for me was the massive torque wrench that lit up like a christmas tree them you had the correct torque on the bolts.  Now that is a torque wrench. haha

Yes that's a special serious bit of equipment!