IEP due to be unloaded in the UK on Thursday

Rail Announcement

Rail Announcement

The first IEP train will be unloaded at Southampton on Thursday morning.

Journaists have been invited to watch the unloading.

• Like 1

The political name for the UK Class 800 and 801 project is 'Intercity Express Programme'. So the first Japanese made prototypes will be in the UK soon.

They all have to enter service before the end of 2018, so that's 3 years. (i couldn't find the 30 years you mention)

Here is the picture from the article:

_81577105_20150107-class800-train1-de.jp

The class 800 and 801 are cleaner looking 885 series white sonics with a classic euro front and cab. All i can say is that i like the design.

bikkuri bahn

*typically, forum complaints about sliding doors rather than plug- what's the fixation?

Edited by bikkuri bahn

typically, forum complaints about sliding doors rather than plug- what's the fixation

Slidings are faster and easier to operate but require pockets which takes up window space and makes the trains look less smooth. Plugs are slower and require slightly more complex mechanics, but look more modern. For low level doors with steps, plugs are easier to integrate into the body, since no below deck level door pockets are needed, but this isn't an issue on british stock since the UK is mostly high level platforms only, like Japan. I really see no issues here, except the look of the train. Since these are only limited express trains, the small difference in aerodynamics won't really matter. The same is true for inter car connections, so no extra streamlining covers are needed.

Nice! Can someone explain me what's in the white doored end car with the 3 covered windows? The other car seem to have different door colors and text on it.

And here is the same white doored, closed up window end car again, this time with decals added:

post-1969-0-80175600-1426276733_thumb.jpg

(imho they would look better with all white doors, but they'll get the franchise colors)

Edited by kvp
Rail Announcement

And here is the same white doored, closed up window end car again, this time with decals added:

p526187844-5.jpg

(imho they would look better with all white doors, but they'll get the franchise colors)

It was mentioned yesterday that this is the buffet car.

• Like 1
Rail Announcement

Looks as if there will be an announcement for more IEPs at the end of this month.

The new First Great Western direct award will be announced on March 27 and the Department of Transport asked FGW to look at the options for west of England services. The options were of refurbishing the current fleet of HSTs, using the Meridians that are due to be displaced from the Midland Main Line or having a new fleet of IEPs.

The Meridian option was discounted because of delays in electrifying the MML and FGW has now issued a OJEU for more IEPs. Prior to the ScotRail franchise announcement, that will now see FGW lose some HST sets, it was going to be proposed to modify a number of HST power cars for use on the sleeper train.

• Like 1