Extremely tiny layouts

This one strikes a chord with me.

They have the lighthouse in the wrong location - it should warn ships of the sucking black-hole.

That one ship seems to have ignored it, as they've got themselves stuck - a helicopter must have dropped it in there.

• Like 3

I realize it's a bit larger - and not Japanese, but this is more the sort of micro layout that appeals to me:

It is N-scale . . . but Nn3 gauge.  Somewhere on the web is info on how he made the engines.

• Like 1

Love these micro layouts that snake up and down thru tunnels and bridges. Carl Arendt's layouts were masters of this!

Jeff

Wow the one with the 4 lines sure interest me! I really didn't know there was a E4 Max in B-Shorties! Also amazing how the standard Kato platform could fit in nicely a 4-car B-Shorty train. I'm guessing the B-Shorties are 4-cars long usually?

This comes from the usual packaging of one end car and one middle car. Getting two packs gives a 4 car train without leftover cars. Also 1 motor is good for 4 cars.

Wow the one with the 4 lines sure interest me! I really didn't know there was a E4 Max in B-Shorties! Also amazing how the standard Kato platform could fit in nicely a 4-car B-Shorty train. I'm guessing the B-Shorties are 4-cars long usually?

This comes from the usual packaging of one end car and one middle car. Getting two packs gives a 4 car train without leftover cars. Also 1 motor is good for 4 cars.

shinkansen.jpg

JR500, this is a 16 car B Train Shorty (sorry for the crappy photo) in front of three Kato platform sections and two Kato end platforms (not that you can see them). The overall length of the train is 1100mm and the platform is pretty much the same length. You can actually get a long train into the Kato Viaduct station.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Hey, that picture looks like my signature pic!

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 2

jr500,

the trains in the 4 train layout are not Btrain shorties, but plarail advanced that i think have had kato/bandai trucks and tomytec (most likely) motors put on them (they are the same models that were used in the plarail drift video).

the btrains are about 40% the length of the real train (but extra in the couplers unless you put in close couplers), but usually done pudgier than the regular trains. plarail advanced seems to just snip out some in the middle and are like 60% of the length of a real train so look a bit more normal.

ive been knoodling a little layout like this, a bit bigger so its not all track to have a mini layout for the office and to easily take to some smaller events. you can pack so much in a tiny space! Nick Yee's layout is always a great inspiration to what can be done with a shorty layout. ive been thinking about doing single viaduct though as double viaduct gets you into big curves and heavy sized parts on a small layout (really cant make it small anymore). then in the station just use a Y and center platform. 

they actually look best on curves and not as good on straight aways side on when you start to realize how short they look. thats why nick's snaky over and under works so well as you see the cars on curves at 45s all the time and it gives a great illusion of being right in the mind's eye. that and the compact scenery. really is sort of magical effect. its kind of like eames tocatta for toy trains, if you set things just right the brain goes off into this strange la la land with it.

4 cars works well, getting longer ive had little issues start popping up with messing with couplers (their rapidos are not the greatest) and the kato mechs dont have the power the bandai motors do as well. nice thing with the shorties is that a 4 car train usually looks fine as a representation of the train and sort of keeps it in that fun odd shorty world. trying to do longer btrains starts getting expensive as you end up having to buy extra sets for many and only get one additional car out it. there are a few sets that come as 8 car trains with two 4 car packs and the 16 car 0 series set. one of our club members has a great 16 car 700 that was assembled by our sister club in iwate as a going away present and they bought like 2x the kits to get all the cars needed to complete it properly!

they are very zen to assemble as well, just easy enough to be relaxing, but just challenging enough not to be boring. parts fit very well if you are careful with the assembly. bandai did a great job of the connectors where they sort of have three positions to them. first is just getting the connector located into its receptacle, then there is a sort of medium fit that holds, then last press pops it into the locked position. its easy to miss this and if you dont get it into the locked position correctly with all the connectors right on two pieces its easy for them to be a little off. but once you get use to it and get them all locked down evenly things lock together amazingly accurately.

they are addictive, just ask todd and nick! ive ended up with a small pile and i swore i was not going to get sucked into them! 

cheers

jeff

Yeah, they are addictive. I love to mess around with them. I lied earlier though, the 16 car train fits in the Kato viaduct station but is longer than the platform that fits in there. Still cool though.

I've had very few problems with the longer trains. I followed Nick Yee's advice and used Kato trucks for the most part and Bandai power units. That 16 car 0 Series Shinkansen has two power units, one at each end, and Kato trucks all around. Runs like a charm. Make sure you put the supplied weights in too. They help.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman

That layout is all tomix, including the stations and platforms.

Unless of course you were just referencing lengths, then just ignore my post.

Edited by katoftw

Not extremely tiny, or even N scale, but one of my favorite Japanese micros.  I like how the basic circle is modified, and the overall spirit.

A bit of Hawaii. With a built in power supply. I own that very train.

20120831jam31.jpg

And look whats happening on the beach. That naughty boy!

20120831jam32.jpg

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1

Here's another biggie.

20120831jam17.jpg

I like this one, but what's that tiny blue truck in the lower left?

It looks like an N-scale vehicle on an HON30 layout.

Brutally simple track, but interesting design and structure - whatever's going on.

We had a thread on that, but can't find it!

I thought they were going to do a few other cases as well.

They are very cute!

Jeff