History of rapid transit

velotrain

It is a well known photo.  It is Ochanomizu Station on the Chuo Line.

The photo would have been tacken from the bridge crossing the river closest to Ochanomizu Park and temples with the lense pointed in a south east direction.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en-AU&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=au&cid=17770956126889954079&q=ochanomizu+station&sa=X&ei=fh36VMirDIG78gWf0oLQBA&ved=0CBwQtgMwAA&output=classic&dg=brw

Edited by katoftw

post-1782-0-94001500-1425677841_thumb.jpg

If you look closely at the arched bridge, you'll see him just in front of the Toei bus.  Just happens to be the location of the photographer in this first photo also.

• Like 1

I've just spent 5 minutes looking for him in these pics, knock it off :grin .  Then I got to wondering where the photographer was standing in the second picture...

White building.  Stair well.  Just up and right behind the green bridge.  Is my guess.

post-1782-0-03809300-1425679934_thumb.jpg

Edited by katoftw

Speaking of which, aren't they rebuilding Ochanomizu Station? This area may look a different in a few years.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, aren't they rebuilding Ochanomizu Station? This area may look a different in a few years.

You are thinking of Iidabashi with its curved platforms.

It is a well known photo.  It is Ochanomizu Station on the Chuo Line.

Do you mean that particular photo, or that location as a good place to shoot from?

I saw many other similar images, but that one had the best composition.

There's some strengthening work going on along the moat wall to make it less likely to collapse into the water in case of a major earthquake. A quick search reveals this PDF which shows plans to redevelop the station to make it "barrier free", though that won't significantly alter the view in the first shot. However last time I passed through there a few weeks ago I don't recall seeing any signs of impending redevelopment. Hmm, time for another Akihabara trip methinks, I need to photograph those arches separating the Sobu and Chuo line platform sides which you have to duck under to go through.

• Like 1

As far as i can understand, they keep the old main building, but remove the two overpasses and build a two level shopping center on top that will connect the two bridges going over the station, giving a total of three main enterances to the rebuilt station. As a side effect, they might fix the height difference between the two platforms at the western end. Making it barrier free means adding two lifts from the plaza levels to the track level. The reinforcement work will be carried out on the old moat wall and the foundation of the old main building. The platforms should be equally around 11 cars long and any extensions could only go east, so if they want to change the chuo rapids from 10 to 12 cars, they might have to add another 20 meters of platform under the old main building. (40 to eliminate the row of stairs at the western end) Strangely the plan in the pdf show no intention to do any of this. (a simple fix would be to replace the current small stairs with a wall and ask people in the two westernmost cars to walk around it when changing lines)