Weighting Z scale freight wagons

ozman2009

I have a growing collection of Japanese Z scale that i'm mostly pretty happy with. The only thing that I'm not satisfied with, at the moment (no doubt I'll think of others in due course lol), is that some Z scale freight wagons are really quite light. If you don't get the trackwork exactly right, some wagons (eg tank wagons) are inclined to derail.

Has anyone else here had this experience? Is it possible to add weights to tank wagons? With container and mineral wagons it's easier. I have some lead tape on order, mainly to add weight  to a Pro Z Series 485 train set - could I use lead tape to add weight to freight wagons?

Any advice or ideas would be gratefully received.

HantuBlauLOL

Shotgun shells or metal ball bearings perhaps?

Afaik tank cars could be split in half because the production cost can go up by 200% if they were solid plastic.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL

lead strip for dolls houses or fisherman's tungsten putty both worked on my ozzy N stock and should be fine for Z. find both on yabe

DD

My experience with Z scale wagons and coaches was that I was driving them too fast.  I had to realize that what was a small bump at track connections in N scale was a very large bump in Z scale.

Those little wheels are not meant to go that fast.  Bring your scale speed down and you probably will have fixed your problem.

gerryo