New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

For next week another new episode, this time about the Hankyu Corporation, details here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201710110600/

October 20, 2017

Hankyu Corporation: A Leading Private Railway Company's Business Model

Hankyu Corporation in Osaka, Japan's second largest metropolitan area, has successfully increased ridership by using diversified business strategies along their railway lines; from developing residential areas and amusement parks, to constructing a new university building and establishing the famous all-female Takarazuka Revue. See how Hankyu maintains its strong brand image with unique strategies like this, and skillfully refurbishes their old cars inside and out into new, high quality trains.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, October 19   16:30 - 17:00   22:30 - 23:00

Friday, October 20   4:30 - 5:00    10:30 - 11:00

Hankyu is important for not only railroading history, but Japanese history itself. Its founder, Ichizō Koyabashi, created a scheme to build homes along Hankyu rail lines, a scheme that proved wildly successful. And Koyabashi created the all-female Takarazuka Revue, one of the most famous live performance troupes in Japan. Hankyu's very success inspired another industrialist, Keita Gotō, to do the same thing southwest of central Tokyo along Tokyu rail lines.

Would someone with episode 38 be able to repost it for my collection pretty pretty please? Now that I have a 1 year old I'm not quite as quick to download as I should be :(

In this month a new episode is coming about monorail systems in Japan.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201711080600/

November 17, 2017

Advanced Urban Travel: Japan's Monorail Systems

1957 saw the opening of Japan's first monorail. 60 years on, Japan is a world leader in monorail technology with 9 lines currently in operation covering a distance of 100km. In this program, we take a look at how monorails have become an increasingly popular mode of urban transportation; the unique characteristics and comparative benefits of both straddle and suspended monorail systems; and Japan's well-established monorail technology which has been gaining attention all over the world.

New hours of Broadcast (London Winter Time)

Thursday, November 16  15:30 - 16:00  21:30 - 22:00

Friday, November 17  3:30 - 4:00  9:30 - 10:00

It looks they are doing a few repeats, today's was the Keihan Railway which I'm sure I've seen before back in March (its the one with the EMU that has the centre seats come down from the roof)

Kev