New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

3 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

Thank you Lee.Your work is appreciated.In June 1968,I was on a Special train from Edinburgh to Sheffield which changed locos from70013 Oliver Cromwell toWoodhead  Electric 26052 at Guide Bridge for the return trip to Sheffield.Incidentally our return to Edinburgh was by Stirling and the Forth Bridge!

I later spent some holidays in Oldham but I had a trip out to  Glossopharyngeal to visit a cousin in the 1970s..A long time ago

Alex

Holidays in Oldham, now there's something you wouldn't hear people say today. "Glossopharyngeal" I can only find a biological reference when I search for that, is there really a place called that as well?

30 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

autocorrect?

That was my first thought, then I remembered the days out myself and my wife had in Wales. Based on the signs we saw, I would not be surprised if it's also the name of some remote Welsh village. :)

scotspensioner

Sorry that was a typo!! It should read just Glossop .My connections with down there are now long gone and I've never been back since 1984 but I still have a connection with someone I met on one of the Oldham holidays.However she lives of Orkney!

15 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

Sorry that was a typo!! It should read just Glossop .My connections with down there are now long gone and I've never been back since 1984 but I still have a connection with someone I met on one of the Oldham holidays.However she lives of Orkney!

Lol, your autocorrect knows it's anatomy!

jeff

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I'm missing one episode from somewhere between Ep. 26 and Ep 40.  Can someone please post a definitive list of episodes and titles?  I'll sort the problem out on my end and then request the missing episode.

Thanks in advance.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:39 AM, scotspensioner said:

Hi

The entire series of Japan Railway Journal is on YouTube posted by Inuyasha Knight.This is up to number 40

Hope this is of use

Alex

Those look awfully like the videos I am uploading and based on how YT works, does that mean that someone is potentially monetising the efforts I go to, to share these? :(

I'd like to be wrong on that, so if someone can clarify that, I would appreciate it. I am not a YT expert, so maybe not all videos fall into that category... but some of those had over 160,000 views. But even the titles are the same as the ones I upload, JRJ just by number and TC by number and full title name. They're all max 720p and they came from NHK World HD. They also include things like the High Speed, High Safety Shinkansen video. I don't see ads on YouTube, so I can't see if or where, any ads appear on them.

I don't mind sharing but I am not doing this just so people can boost their YT channels. Apart from that, it puts this illegal activity (and that is what this is, when it comes down to it) right in the spotlight of YouTube and NHK World. They're not even unlisted, they're displayed as public videos, which means anyone can find them.

If this is someone uploading their own (uncannily similar) videos, then that's great... because it means someone else can provide them on here as well as (or preferably instead of) me. But if this is someone taking the videos I upload and putting them on there, then that's a different story altogether.

scotspensioner

By Hi Lee

Yes ,these are the same videos but he's in Japan and has 4543 subscribers world wide.I only suggested looking there because it would be easier to do a check there on the basis that by clicking from one to another each programme can be checked quickly ,as opposed to someone writing a list out before they can be checked.

So he isn't copying your programmes,he's copying direct from NHK judging by the time he puts them up

I've little doubt NHK programmes such as these will be readily available in Japan- he's in Tohoku.

His list of programmes goes far beyond Japan Railway Journal

incidentally beyond JNS ,how do people find out about your postings?

I've managed to avoid any typos this time

Alex

Alex,

Maybe you're right about his videos... maybe I am just getting a bit weary with the uploading and everything after the recent surge of programmes. It's gets me down sometimes and when I am always down anyway, it doesn't take much for my mind to jump on something.

I found the forums by accident when I searched for Train Cruise when I first saw that show. Then this thread was born from that... I think as a forum thread gains popularity, it starts to creep up the search rankings. Those YT videos are in the top 10 results, this forum thread makes page 2. It's probably not that hard to find with a bit of research but slapping things on YT is like saying "Hey, look, I am uploading your TV show without your permission"... it's high risk for sure.

I'll slink back into my corner, out of sight, out of mind... it's where I live best.

scotspensioner

Hi Lee

I'm sorry to hear about your problems- I did see your note a bit back.

I know what it's like to be down.I have a wife who for four years wouldn't get out of bed then she had a stroke which helped her no end but I've also got a 33 year old son who's autistic ( he has Asperger's syndrome).So my hands are full.Wehave carers coming in which helps but these days I'm virtually housebound.

However I count myself lucky because in my younger days despite being looked on as an idiot by many people I went ahead and did my own thing.My interest in   ( obsession with) Railways took me to Europe-I knew nothing about Japanese Railways till I got my tablet which is how I got involved in this.

I also met some interesting people not least a now long deceased ex railway enthusiast and his wife which is how I came to spend my holidays in Oldham!!(and that's another story.)

Today I hear very little from former contacts - I'm persona non Grata because of what I discovered years later. Which made them very embarrassed

So this is written with the best of intentions and I hope you'll accept it on that basis

My very best wishes to you and I'll be thinking about you

Alex

Japan Railway Journal is available on video on demand after broadcasting on NHK World website so if someone that have a minimum skill can download it and upload on the tube, so do not put the cart in front of the oxen ( i don't know if it is used in English) and don't think bad :-)

Edited by Ronny
scotspensioner

Ronny

I came to the conclusion that what you've said was how Inuyasha Knight (a.cover name!)was doing it.I believe that after a certain time the NHK copy is deleted from their website so YouTube becomes a repository for these.If they'd had any objections I'm sure they would have asked for their deletion long before now as has happened elsewhere

We say the cart before the horse over here

Best wishes

Alex

2 hours ago, Ronny said:

Japan Railway Journal is available on video on demand after broadcasting on NHK World website so if someone that have a minimum skill can download it and upload on the tube, so do not put the cart in front of the oxen ( i don't know if it is used in English) and don't think bad :-)

Have you watched any of the videos on that Video on Demand service? If not, go and watch one... they're 360p and don't have any of the TV channel pre-show fade. Most people cut from the start of the show (as they are on that service), I cut from the logo fade before the show starts. Now go and watch a video on that YT channel and see which ones they look like. 720p and cut from the same point as the ones I upload on here.

Here's another saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.".

I mean, if NHK were showing videos at the same quality as I upload them, I would be wasting my time... so maybe that's the theory that needs testing. Next time an episode is shown, I will wait for it to appear on that YT channel first, then upload it.

I would just like to say how much appreciation I have for Lee san, who have continuously and so generously shared his videos which are of high quality with us, so that we may be able to view them on our own convenient timing... He has done a wonderful job and we can always depend on him for these videos...

Also, I am able to contribute some of the videos that Lee san had shared before if anyone is missing any and I happen to have it on my hard disk. Most, if not all of my videos, are from Lee san (many thanks to him for that), but I would not share them without his permission unless it has been previously shared by Lee san here on this thread...

I do hope the youtube user on YT isn't really uploading video feeds from Lee san...

• Like 1

I think the bottom line is there is nothing I can do to stop this person. They are not my videos, I don't own them and based on... never mind, I don't need to say that.

I just picked the wrong time to come on the forums and saw something I was probably better off not seeing. Sorry for all the fuss over nothing everyone. I'll be back when the next episode appears.

Note to self: post and run... post and run.

I do hope the youtube user on YT isn't really uploading video feeds from Lee san...

Probably not because he also uploads train cruise and other shows. There is also a time difference about when he uploads, i think that sometimes he is faster than Lee-San posting it here. I also think there is another user on dailymotion sometimes uploading them. It’s something you can’t avoid.