New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Doesn't the Akita Line have 3 rail action going on?  Was interesting to hear the claim of the tunnel being the first?

Good point. I was wondering about how the mini shinkansen works too... haha:

Extract from wiki:

Mini-Shinkansen[edit]

Mini-shinkansen (ミニ新幹線?) is the name given to the routes where former narrow gauge lines have been converted to standard gauge to allow Shinkansen trains to travel to cities without the expense of constructing full Shinkansen standard lines.

Two mini-shinkansen routes have been constructed: the Yamagata Shinkansen and Akita Shinkansen. Shinkansen services to these lines traverse the Tohoku Shinkansen line from Tokyo before branching off to traditional main lines. On both the Yamagata/Shinjo and Akita lines, the narrow gauge lines were regauged, resulting in the local services being operated by standard gauge versions of 1,067 mm gauge suburban/interurban rolling stock. On the Akita line between Omagari and Akita, one of the two narrow gauge lines was regauged, and a section of the remaining narrow gauge line is dual gauge, providing the opportunity for Shinkansen services to pass each other without stopping.

The maximum speed on these lines is 130 km/h, however the overall travel time to/from Tokyo is improved due to the elimination of the need for passengers to change trains at Fukushima and Morioka respectively.

As the Loading gauge (size of the train that can travel on a line) was not altered when the rail gauge was widened, only Shinkansen trains specially built for these routes can travel on the lines. At present they are the E3 and E6 series trains.

Whilst no further Mini-shinkansen routes have been proposed to date, it remains an option for providing Shinkansen services to cities on the narrow gauge network.

Still, i'm not quite sure if I get it. So does the Akita line and Shinjo line, by which the E3 and E6 travels on, also have triple tracks; i.e. one shared track and one each for the standard 1067 and the 1435 shinkansen?

From the zenmen tenbou videos I've seen of trains operating between Fukushima and Yamagata and between Morioka and Akita, the 1,435 mm tracks that host the E3/E6 Shinkansen trainsets and modified 701 Series EMU's (701-5000 and 701-5500 models) don't really "share" one common rail like they do on the Seikan Tunnel. This is why I still think the best solution is a covered 1,435 mm container car, where the containers are loaded and unloaded at Kikonai on the Hokkaido side and Aomori on the Honshu side. That way, this will allow freight trains to travel as fast as 200 km/h through the tunnel, which in turn will allow H6 trainsets to traverse the tunnel at 200 km./h.

Still, i'm not quite sure if I get it. So does the Akita line and Shinjo line, by which the E3 and E6 travels on, also have triple tracks; i.e. one shared track and one each for the standard 1067 and the 1435 shinkansen?

Yes - which is why I asked about the claim the seikan tunnel was this first to do this.

December 4, 2015

Yamanote Line: The Green Rotating Heart of Tokyo

• twitter_en.png
  • f_share_en.png
  • q.png

*You will leave the NHK website.

Watch Live in

12days 16hours 53min

With trains making 650 round trips each day, the JR Yamanote Line is the artery of Tokyo's railways. On November 30, the new Series E235 entered service on the green-colored loop line, and is scheduled to replace all train sets by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. See the latest technology on this next generation train, look back on all its predecessors on the Yamanote Line since the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, then visit "Mass-Trans Innovation Japan", Japan's largest railway convention held every 2 years.

tv_episode_3084516_201511200600_01_large

tv_episode_3084516_201511200600_01_min.j

tv_episode_3084516_201511200600_02_min.j

tv_episode_3084516_201511200600_03_min.j

tv_episode_3084516_201511200600_04_min.j

• Like 2

I can't wait to see this episode, especially when you can see the inside of the 72 and 103 Series EMU's that were among the longest-lasting EMU's on this line.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links Lee !  

However I get a message saying they're no more avaialble or have been deleted by the user.

I've found them on youtube, but only in 720p (file size about 400 Mo) and the quality is far from being equivalent compared with the files which you have put on-line.

But it's better than nothing !

Thanks for the links Lee !  

However I get a message saying they're no more avaialble or have been deleted by the user.

I've found them on youtube, but only in 720p (file size about 400 Mo) and the quality is far from being equivalent compared with the files which you have put on-line.

But it's better than nothing !

Hi, I have just replaced those shows back into my Google Drive, sorry for the confusion.

Ep 1 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27zzQuTVMyWbElOYXRYUEhabFk/view?usp=sharing

Ep 2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27zzQuTVMyWdzh0S2gtX1hHWXc/view?usp=sharing

Ep 3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27zzQuTVMyWd0ltZmFaMGlra1E/view?usp=sharing

Ep 4 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27zzQuTVMyWekg3T09ZM184MmM/view?usp=sharing

Best Wishes

Darren

Edited by dabsan
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for the links dabsan !  

The quality is perfect.

January 15, 2016
SEVEN STARS IN KYUSHU: The Local Revitalizing Cruise Train

In recent years, "tourist trains" have become increasingly popular. With their unique Japanese designs, seasonal on-board cuisine and stopover excursions, more and more people are enjoying Japan's railways. The reason for this boom is the expansion of the Shinkansen network, which has made local regions easier to access and brought a welcome economic boost to the area. Discover the hopes that these tourists trains bring as we take a luxurious trip on the most popular 2 day "cruise train" with Saya Ichikawa, a Japanese model and also an avid railfan who loves riding tourist trains.
tv_episode_201512240600_01_large.jpg

tv_episode_201512240600_01_min.jpgtv_episode_201512240600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201512240600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201512240600_04_min.jpg
Edited by katoftw
  • Like 3