Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion

katoftw

10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Sounds like you put the motor in the reverse way or upsidedown.

jeff

8 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Isn't there an arrow somewhere on the motor chassis and the shell?

There's only one way the whole motor assy and connections can sit on the chassis, even the motor itself can only go one way, the contacts for the spring connections on the back are different heights and simply wouldn't work if somehow put the wrong way.

Will report back when I've had a play with the magnets

Morcs,

really don’t see how you could change the polarity of the wiring other than flipping the motor as from the couple of tomytec mechs I’ve torn apart it’s all hard wired strips for leads to the motor so no reversing possible there.

you didn’t pull the motor apart, correct?

jeff

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Morcs,

really don’t see how you could change the polarity of the wiring other than flipping the motor as from the couple of tomytec mechs I’ve torn apart it’s all hard wired strips for leads to the motor so no reversing possible there.

you didn’t pull the motor apart, correct?

jeff

Jeff you were totally right.

I stripped the whole thing back down, and although the poles on the motor are at offset heights, they are still at offset heights when you flip it over *face palm* 

Now I just have to figure out why 2 identical motors run at different speeds, or is this inconsistency normal with tomytec motors?

I have never seen a whole lot of speed variation between Tomytec power chassis of the same model type. Could it be added friction in the drive mechanism from not reassembling it quite right? I mean like a small alignment issue, a universal too far out on a shaft and binding slightly, or something like that. Some times some running will loosen up a chassis so that it runs better.

Rich K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool, glad it’s working! 

im with rich on this I think it’s something with the drive train. As long as you didn’t do anything to the motor (like lube bearings) or get crap in an unsealed motor they should be ver similar.

jeff