Ansaldo Breda will become Japanese

Melandir

Hitachi is going to buy Ansaldo Breda and Ansaldo STS from Finemeccanica

http://www.corriere.it/economia/15_febbraio_24/i-treni-italiani-diventano-giapponesi-ansaldo-sts-breda-passano-hitachi-b275faae-bc09-11e4-9889-956e36696542.shtml

Ansaldo STS is the best of the two, but they were sold together or nothing

same news in english

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/24/us-ansaldosts-m-a-hitachi-idUSKBN0LR1IF20150224

Edited by Melandir

I wonder what will become of the ETR.1000 programme, given that the design is based on Bombardier`s Zefiro. Fulfill the current order, and then cut ties?

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Just when the NS revealed that an external consultant for the Dutch railways that had a key role in the V250 project has been bribed in a tender for new commuter trains. I wonder if he was also bribed for the V250 project...

AnsaldoBreda's railway vehicles are infamous for their bad quality, but Ansaldo STS's safety equipment is actually fine. The TGV for example has Ansaldo ERTMS equipment in them and seems to have much fewer malfunctions than for example Bombardier ERTMS equipment with their faults that make trains on the high speed line in the Netherlands practically every day do unnecessary emergency stops.

AnsaldoBreda's railway vehicles are infamous for their bad quality, but Ansaldo STS's safety equipment is actually fine. The TGV for example has Ansaldo ERTMS equipment in them and seems to have much fewer malfunctions than for example Bombardier ERTMS equipment with their faults that make trains on the high speed line in the Netherlands practically every day do unnecessary emergency stops.

Ansaldo STS is probably at the moment the best in ERTMS system, if you look at the value of the transaction you can see where the real value is, Breda has been valued 36 millions were STS has been valued 773millions for only the 40%

Edited by Melandir

AnsaldoBreda's railway vehicles are infamous for their bad quality, but Ansaldo STS's safety equipment is actually fine.

I wonder why. XD Backup perhaps?

The ETR 1000 contract will be carried out regularly. Moreover Ansaldo Breda will handle maintenance. The previous contracts will not be affected by the sale.

• Like 1

Indeed it would be likely that Hitachi is eyeing the Ansaldo STS division as most valuable, as it adds the critical signaling/traffic control element to their "total package" portfolio, though perhaps inheriting the established rolling stock sales channels is also desirable.

trainsforever8

Here in Montreal, we ordered new metro cars (MPM-10 also known as Azur) for our network but there were many delays, currently, the STM (Montreal's Transport Society) has 1 prototype train set that is being tested. It was built by Bombardier and Alstom however, the ATC and ATO system are being developped by Asaldo STS and due to some sort of mistake, there's a delay in the delivery of the program which means that we will recieve it in October and THEN the testing of the train will resume, those trains were supposed to enter in service in 2013, they just keep getting delayed. I wonder if the fact that Hitachi bought the company will change anything.

I have long been out of the corporate world (and that stint was very short), but is it a project management issue that requires upper/middle management shakeup?  The knowhow/IP is there.

trainsforever8

I have long been out of the corporate world (and that stint was very short), but is it a project management issue that requires upper/middle management shakeup?  The knowhow/IP is there.

I don't exactly remember why there was a delay, they insist that currently, their system is incompatible with our métro network, but I don't believe this is the cause since some of our current métro train sets (the MR-73)'s signalisation systems have been chanced to Asaldo STS a while ago and things seem to be working fine. I really hope Hitachi does something about this, because the delay is getting ridiculous, they wont be so "new" if they get delivered so late anymore.

The alstom metro cars delivered to hungary received siemens ato systems. There were some delays, as it turned out that the alstom on board systems are only compatible with alstom ato systems, so they had to rewrite the whole monolithic software to work with the siemens boxes. In this case, the delay might be caused by using ansaldo equipment on the alstom cars. This won't really be solved by a change on the ansaldo side.

trainsforever8

That's what we're all wondering in the Montreal metro forum! It should've had been expected! I just wish that they will really enter in service in December, I'm beginning to feel irritated about this VERY long delay.