Kyoto Railway Museum rolling stock, news thread

miyakoji

maihama eki

I will be about 10 days too early for the opening when I'm next in Kyoto.

Gives me another excuse to go back.

The museum uniforms and bento/restaurant offerings have been revealed. I think miyakoji may be interested in the bentos...

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/03/18/518/

:) I'm interested in all of it.  I wasn't paying attention back in 2006 when the old museum next to Manseibashi was closed, and by the time JRE opened the new one, i had returned to the US.  I can't seem to make my Japanese vacation happen, so in fact I haven't been to any of these museums.  Well, at least I have a lot to look forward to.

Edited by miyakoji

A news segment from February 26th.  The view under the EF66 is really something.  In the second part at 5:30, there are two (in service) 223s with the fall preventers.  Installation must be proceeding apace.  Anyway, like everything else the view from the terrace looks great.

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Latest reveal to the press. it looks like everything is ready to go.

*On the terrace there is a traffic display that shows passing trains in real time.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

Looks great.  I wonder if JR East has any time to adjust their plans for the expansion of the Saitama museum, they'll have to top this, right? :grin

bikkuri bahn

Just on this superficial coverage, it looks better than the JR-E museum in some areas I have a particular interest in, such as safety/signaling systems, and some coverage of the labor/personnel side, as well as historical reconstructions of station interiors, etc.  Just a bit O/T, but I was impressed by the DB railway museum in Nurnberg, not for its rolling stock collection, which is quite dispersed (most of it in other sites), but rather the explanation of the social side/societal effect of the railway- especially the rather simple but effective display stands of representative passengers from a certain era- the clothing, profession, family background, etc. and the railway ticket they would have used on their journey.  I could imagine a similar setup at a museum here in Japan, with displays spanning the Meiji, Taisho, prewar/postwar Showa, and early Heisei/start of JR eras- you can also tie in the expansion and change in passenger services (i.e. the introduction of expresses, semi-expresses, limited expresses, and shinkansen) with this, reflecting the growing prosperity and income of the general public.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

An article today in the Toyo Keizai Online website about the museum, with some encouraging points.  The museum is aiming to be one that focuses not just on rolling stock, like other museums so far, but rather one that looks at the complete railway. New temporary exhibitions will be featured, such as one this autumn covering overnight sleeper trains.  Exchange of exhibition items is being talked about with the Saitama and Nagoya museums, and an sister museum relationship is being pursued with the NRM in York.

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/114824

• Like 3

Thats nice! hopefully they stay focused on their content first and widgets second. Unfortunately the exhibit design world is totally turned around currently where content is the last thing, ive had clients say to me recently "oh we will just fit the content in after its all designed"! basically they want you to start with a list of features (read current electronic gadgets and social media trends, most of the RFP is this list now, not content to be covered) and come up with a design based on that and then figure out what content to put in it. the only sane way to do it is figure out what you want to say first then how you are going to say it then find the design that makes all that work. actually its a very smooth process, the other way around is like trying to pet a porcupine... oh well McLuhan was right the medium is now the message...

Temporary exhibits are a good way to branch out from the big 800lb gorillas in the room--the rolling stock. While rolling stock is impressive after a dozen or so big/dominant objects the visitor tends to become numb to them w/o something to keep them refreshed and find other aspects to be interested in them. also give folks a reason to come back to the museum and also get more involved with the museum which is essential these days with the number of museums and competition out there with the electronic world.

cheers

jeff

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

^^

Indeed.  The rolling stock and model railway layout draws the general public (esp. the first and only time looky-loo visitors), as well as the mom and kiddie crowd who come on the off-peak weekday hours.  But you need the temporary exhibitions which can be more detailed and academic, and the non-train exhibits (and simulators, hands on stuff, etc.), as well as events, to attract repeaters.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I'll have to wait until I see it in person but the scenery seems rather plain.  A bit surprised to see so many non-JR West trains on it, quite a mix of eras and regions on the Shinkansen lines.

160419_13.jpg

Current view inside the steam loco workshop.  I would presume that is the D51-200 they are working on to be ready for mainline duties again.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Two guidebooks to be available at nationwide bookstores are already being published for this attraction. Aimed at the general public.

The one I saw at my local bookstore had some interesting additional info. The rooftop observation deck will have real time info on not just passing passenger trains, but also freight trains. There will be a new steam locomotive overhaul facility with an observation deck allowing visitors to see work being done. This will be dedicated to steam locomotives going through complete overhaul i.e. not in steam and complete disassembly. The existing facility in the roundhouse will be for maintenance of locomotives in steaming condition.

There will be a reconstruction of a CTC facility with a surplus Sanyo Shinkansen CTC unit as well as a Nara Line CTC unit. Three screen PC type workstations will be available for visitors to learn about the work done at CTC centers and an interactive quiz.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Very interesting. It would be good (and worthy!) to visit Kyoto Railway Museum, since lots of exhibits and attractions are waiting there  :read2:

The museum looks absolutely stunning! Gotta put it on my list for things to do when I get to Japan this Fall!

bikkuri bahn

Just a browse, I think.  Alot of the non-museum info is the same as found in other Kyoto guidebooks.  I think they're selling in these books the idea of this museum as a destination for people who already "did" the obligatory temple/shrine course, and Kansai area folks as well as casual railfans.

The museum looks absolutely stunning! Gotta put it on my list for things to do when I get to Japan this Fall!

I've rearranged my trip in September to give a whole day there instead of just an afternoon.