custom viaduct station

jrcrunch

sorry i dont know how to properly call them yet. still a newbie. reason why a post pictures too since i cant describe the items well.

i already have the ground tracks so i want an elevated or viaduct tracks this time

well i can get a jumbo cargo box 100usd shipped to my my place in manila. can put all my shopping plus some other japanese foods. (shipping is 1 month)

Edited by jrcrunch

Jr,

Looks good. What kato meant was the track description of lenght and radius, this how folks usually talk about the pieces so you know right away what it is. Like a double viaduct 248 is the coule viaduct track straight 248mm long.

On the shipping have you used the freight box before? Macon here on the list (he's not been active lately) is in the philippines and has some issues with customs on some types of shipping, better on others and can't remember which was which for him.

Shipping track is tough as its big and heavy, especially the viaduct stuff. Knocks you out of the economical range of Sal fast. Any hope of bringing an extra suitcase home packed full?

Glad you settled on a plan here,meow to spend money! Ouch!

I'll double check the list part numbers later today.

Cheers

Jeff

Jr,

Looks good. What kato meant was the track description of lenght and radius, this how folks usually talk about the pieces so you know right away what it is. Like a double viaduct 248 is the coule viaduct track straight 248mm long.

On the shipping have you used the freight box before? Macon here on the list (he's not been active lately) is in the philippines and has some issues with customs on some types of shipping, better on others and can't remember which was which for him.

Shipping track is tough as its big and heavy, especially the viaduct stuff. Knocks you out of the economical range of Sal fast. Any hope of bringing an extra suitcase home packed full?

Glad you settled on a plan here,meow to spend money! Ouch!

I'll double check the list part numbers later today.

Cheers

Jeff

thanks jeff. EMS is the worst service to the philippines. mine will be a big jumbo consolidated box picked from my hotel in shinjuku then shipped to the philippines :) my brother tried the shipping service before. it took about 30 days but sometimes faster

thank you that you can check my list. really appreciate to all who helped. 

yeah i understand what katoftw means,  next time will mention the length of the item 

thank you again for building my track.

* what is your recommendation for my viaduct track? build it piece by piece or just get the v13 and have some extra pieces? although chance of changing my layout is very slim

i also need to add some items

double track viaduct power code

rerailer/unijioiner remover--  is this necessary? i already have a tomix rerailer but how about the unijoiner? do we use this on viaduct tracks?

http://www.katousa.com/images/unitrack/20-872-1.jpg

Edited by jrcrunch

Hmm on the v13 you will end up with 4 extra 248 double viaduct pieces. Really depends where you buy the stuff and the prices where you buy. You'll end up with a few extra parts either way. Is there any hope of later increasing the lenght of the layout by .75-1m in the future? If so ten extra viaduct 248 could be handy and go to the 4 track 8 car Shinkansen then!

Good you had experience with the freight box. I think macdon had issues with the final guy in the customs/po chain trying to bump the fees...

Getting that huge box will be quite a treat on opening it!

The kato retailer and unijoiner remover is a $1 on its own. Retailer works well very similar to the tomix and both work on either track. The little unijoiner remover is handy as it makes pulling unijoiner from track to replace the pm easier. Get a pack of unijoiners as having spares can help (24-815). If you have some spare track then no worries you could just yank one from one of those. If you don't pull the track apart much they last a long long time, but can now and then get a bad one to begin with or have it fail with snapping and unsnapping.

Also having some extra s joiners is always handy. I expect you will have enough with the stations and the v13, but if you get individual track they all don't come with s joiners. part 24-817

The v13 does not come with catenary poles or holder either. If you want catenary poles you will need to buy these and the double viaduct bases for them separately. The bases fit at the joints of the double viaduct pieces and the catenary poles just slip into them so you can pull them off easily to clean track or put a train on the tracks. Can't find those part numbers, kato or kvp do you know them off hand?

In the station you can't use these on the station plates though. I think those new flag stop platforms have a notch in the center of the roofs to maybe somehow attach catenary to the roof. You can't use the regular catenary stands to the ground as the poles and stands would push the platforms out from the tracks. Usually in the stations you need to sort of build your own catenary as its not as systematic as the rest of the system there.

The double viaduct power feeds I would get two pairs. While the loop should work ok with one feeder per track, putting two feeders per track at opposite sides of the loop will make sure there is no power drop (slow down). You can get Y feeder adapter to plug these both into a single power supply on each track.

Cheers

Jeff

Forgot to say rerailers are like pencils and xacto knives either there are three of them sitting right there when you don't need one or none to be seen when you need one! Always tried to work on the saturation principle on these but it takes like 10 of them minimum for me in a room to ever work, murphy's all around!

Jeff

if you are gonna have parts left over, i'd by separately rather than box set considering you shipping option will be the same no matter which way you go.  but just arm yourself with the info and make the decission when you are there.  you never know what prices you'll find when there.

when i went, i wrote down on paper every train i wanted and a price i was willing to pay.  hard to find items on the internet are just sitting on shelves in shops in Japan.

Edited by katoftw

decided just to get the v13 set. my box is big. at least everything is there and only have to add the bridges and get the 23-019 pier viaduct. i got them at amazon.jp. cheapest i can find. it is cheaper than tamtam.

thank you everyone

although some il get at yodobashi camera. some items are cheaper than tamtam

Edited by jrcrunch

Jr

You may need to check in japan on the catenary. See kens site for all the details as to what you can use for the viaduct track pieces and the style you want to use.

http://sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/ModelingCatenary/KatoCatenary/

The station set 23-239 is the one that has the station catenary that clips onto those slots in the flag stop platform roofs and also structure for the end platforms as well. Great details.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10179962

Jeff

Jr

You may need to check in japan on the catenary. See kens site for all the details as to what you can use for the viaduct track pieces and the style you want to use.

http://sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/ModelingCatenary/KatoCatenary/

The station set 23-239 is the one that has the station catenary that clips onto those slots in the flag stop platform roofs and also structure for the end platforms as well. Great details.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10179962

Jeff

what cantenary poles should i buy for the viaduct tracks? would you know the part number?

Jr,

Look thru kens web page and it will show the options and part numbers. You may have to check what is still available.

There are two styles there, inside the viaduct and outside the viaduct (depending of the poles come down just inside or outside of the viaduct walls). You need the poles and the small clips that fit between the viaduct support and the underside of the viaduct track piece.

Jeff

good glad you found it, sorry for the terse reply you can see by the cherry blossom thread its been a really bad day for me here.

on the station platform catenary you would need 3x of the 23-239 sets to do the whole station (2 for the center platforms and one for the end platforms as the set has 2 catenary cross overs per set).

the 23-261 should work, but its not for shinkansens, more for low voltage trains. the more modern tubular curved 23-057 might be better.

again sorry for the terse response.

jeff

Thinking of making some changes.

Now I have track A

but If i add some extra tracks after the s curve will this cause some derailments? please see track C. this will make my viaduct track a bit longer

thank you!

I haven't had issues with derailments going straight from a banked curve to an opposing direction curve.  safe bet is to put a straight piece of track in.  the other option is to put the 2x R481s pieces on the inside of the loop.

• Like 1

Yes it's best to do this, especially with shinkansens with tighter couplings at speed. This was a good improvement on the jrm 1.0 to 2.0 layout on our viaduct with flat curves. We were going into #6 points right after the curve and at times it would pick the point. In 2.0 we put in the 128 straight between the curve and point and it cleaned that up amost totally. Also moving the kato end platform back 1 cm or so from where it wants to go helped a lot in here. Turns out even when cars clear going thru slowly, at speed they rock and wrack some and hit and at times caused problems. Something we only found after a lot of running and slow investigation.

Jeff

so is track C safe? or should i just stick to track A? :)

*i scrapped my l-shaped track. my family will use the extra room so im stuck with this 

Edited by jrcrunch

C is safer, but a may work fine as its not points at the S curve bit. Do you have the track yet? If you do set it up and run your trains thru it to see how well they do.

Jeff

thank jeff

so track C is safer than track A even with track C has the S curve?  The 124mm viaduct extension on both ends made the difference

I already have track A but already bought the side station platforms kvp suggested before but at least i wont make a custom on my viaduct station.  

*but if I use track C. it can't fit an 8 car shinkansen right? so better to stick with track A again?

Edited by jrcrunch
Takahama Trainwatcher

I haven't had issues with derailments going straight from a banked curve to an opposing direction curve.  safe bet is to put a straight piece of track in.  the other option is to put the 2x R481s pieces on the inside of the loop.

I haven't run shinkansens, but I have put a viaduct station directly after a long curve as katoftw has stated here using the R481s on the inner track with no problems. If you imagine a train on the inner track (C layout) going anticlockwise, after the long left turn it easily continues into the 15 degree left of the R481 followed by the right turn of another R481. This is only one change of direction as opposed to your present plan where a train going clockwise on the outer track will turn right, then left, then right... that might induce a bit more rocking (particularly if you don't include the straight track between the curves so as to increase your station length). 

Edited by Takahama Trainwatcher

Doh, sorry I missed that A did not have the station platform bump!

Both would work fine. We use C in the current jrm layout but the S curve bump out is 718 #6 points and shinkansens go thru it at speed no problem. Like I said earlier we did C in the older layout without the 128s and it worked pretty (again #6 points for the S lead) well but we did get some problems when running they the S curve, but may have been the point causing the issue. We also later pulled the platform end back just a tad and that helped as well

A of course is no issues due to no S curve, but no center platform. Our first jrm layout had a small Shinkansen station on one side of the layout like this with side platforms on it worked well as a smaller local Shinkansen station and on the other side we had the big one with two passing tracks and two island platforms (and the S curve leading into the passing sidings that we would run thru part of the time)

Jeff

thank jeff

so track C is safer than track A even with track C has the S curve?  The 124mm viaduct extension on both ends made the difference

I already have track A but already bought the side station platforms kvp suggested before but at least i wont make a custom on my viaduct station.  

*but if I use track C. it can't fit an 8 car shinkansen right? so better to stick with track A again?

thank jeff

c = 7 shinkansen cars, 8 regular cars.

a = using one sided platforms and making custom base for overhead station.