custom viaduct station

jrcrunch

is this kind of track possible? I added an extra 23-231 viaduct store to the viaduct station set to accommodate my 8 car and 7 car shinkansen trains.

the orange is the viaduct station
the blue are double viaduct tracks
the red in the drawing are bridges
the green is my exisiting track for my local trains like yamanote

the shinkansen line will partially ran over the local track

sorry the fonts for the track parts are quite small. i cant make it bigger. jpg file gets resized. better check the pdf file to see the part number

post-2093-0-06213000-1427123394_thumb.jpg

viaduct station custom.xml

post-2093-0-63588600-1426965428_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrcrunch

Using the piers from Kato 23-015, you can get up to 24mm using three 248mm tracks (and 3 more to go down again).  

That being said, it would be a pretty steep grade.

Also, I like the X-Plus Godzillas you have there!  I think it's a Ric Boy edition '89 on the left and a '64 on the right? 

post-2369-0-54367300-1422505892_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the elevated tracks idea will only get 10mm high. you need 6 248mm straight or 45 degree curve to go up to 50mm. and the same again to go down.

wow that's a lot. cant make it longer :(

Using the piers from Kato 23-015, you can get up to 24mm using three 248mm tracks (and 3 more to go down again).  

That being said, it would be a pretty steep grade.

Also, I like the X-Plus Godzillas you have there!  I think it's a Ric Boy edition '89 on the left and a '64 on the right? 

kat 23-015 is for single, im using double track or is it also compatible

yep it would be safe but would it be still safe? 

yep it is a ric 1989 and 1954. do you collect them too? the showa godzilla are quite in scale with n scale trains but the 1989 is small. it should be 2x bigger

The reason why I mentioned the 23-015 piers is that they're very cheap, whereas incline piers for double viaduct track are only available in the V12 set (which is relatively expensive).  You can use the 23-015 piers with double viaduct track, but they won't be as stable or prototypical as they would be if used for their intended purpose. 

I defer to katoftw on this.  

Edited by 1954G

A pretty simple solution would be to put the station on a small hill and then you can have a viaduct section with level tracks. It needs a hill though.

whereas incline piers for double viaduct track are only available in the V12 set (which is relatively expensive).

That is incorrect. 23-046, 23-048 and 23-049 double track incline pier sets. Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

A pretty simple solution would be to put the station on a small hill and then you can have a viaduct section with level tracks. It needs a hill though.

yes that i what im thinking to elevate the whole set. maybe il elevate it an inch higher from the base. what material are good support for the tracks and piers? 

I would use step resistant insulation foam (pink and blue) or a thin wood plate on wood blocks. You can use the normal flat section piers for the elevated part.

they look custom to me. i dont think any of katos or tomix offerings look high enough to be prototypical. but you have to draw the line somewhere with height. keep going higher, and the ramps need to be longer. it is already difficult to get 6 S248 and/or 45 degree curves into a layout.

• Like 1

I have no problem with your putting your new question in the first post, but it may be more clear to other members if you just put the question in your latest post. ;)

I'm also not sure if it's only me, but your first post also shows a lot of blank lines which makes it seem a bit cluttered.

Exactly why I made my suggestion to jrcrunch to put the question down below instead of changing his first post. TLDR: in the first post

New Quesiton

I wanted to add the kato doubletrack viaduct station to the elevated loop track im planning to build but im am very restricted to the max space i can do (pls see files, is my layout ok?) 

does this set include :viaduct station extension section" or the "viaduct station" only?  the overall lengith of this set is 1240mm? sorry i just want to make sure my interpretation is correct

http://www.nscalesupply.com/kat/KAT-23-125.html

my bullet trains are 8 cars   long? would they be too long or a bit long for the viaduct set?

i try to avoid buying the kato v13 since it will be wasteful to use this. will be discarding a lot due to the viaduct station

thank you

The linked station has a platform length of 898mm.  2x 248mm platform sections and 2x 200mm #4 L + R platform ends.

For a 8 car shinkansen, you'll need roughly 1250-1300mm for platform depending on model.

You would need to get a expansion kit to add another 2x 248mm in length, and 2x 248mm middle platform sections.

Edited by katoftw

The linked station has a platform length of 898mm.  2x 248mm platform sections and 2x 200mm #4 L + R platform ends.

For a 8 car shinkansen, you'll need roughly 1250-1300mm for platform depending on model.

You would need to get a expansion kit to add another 2x 248mm in length, and 2x 248mm middle platform sections.

thanks katoftw! appreciate it

for the 1250-1300 is that the main platform or does that include the platform ends too? thank man!

I think the data you got is the total length of the shinkansen in question. But it's easy to calculate it, since the standard shinkansen car length is 25 meters with a 1:160 scale. For cape gauge trains, the common car length is 20 meters with 1 1:150 scale. This means you can calculate the platform lengths needed for each train if you know the type of the cars and the number of cars. (just allow some extra for non close coupled sets)

• Like 1

I think the data you got is the total length of the shinkansen in question. But it's easy to calculate it, since the standard shinkansen car length is 25 meters with a 1:160 scale. For cape gauge trains, the common car length is 20 meters with 1 1:150 scale. This means you can calculate the platform lengths needed for each train if you know the type of the cars and the number of cars. (just allow some extra for non close coupled sets)

hi kvp, thanks for the reply. the scale doesnt matter for me but is the viaduct station draft possible? i plan to order the parts but hoping they would fit with each other

I think you didn't give us enough data to check it. I mean a drawing with all the parts, sizes and numbers would help. I can't really figure that out from the earlier posts. (maybe due to edits or something)

• Like 1

I think you didn't give us enough data to check it. I mean a drawing with all the parts, sizes and numbers would help. I can't really figure that out from the earlier posts. (maybe due to edits or something)

ok will edit it asap :)