• Limited Expresses & Expresses
    • Commuters
    • Locals
    • Joyful trains
    • EMUs
    • DMUs
    • Steam traction
    • Loco haul

As raised by Jeff in the MA release discussion. Only 20 possibilities, I tried to be as thorough as possible, you can pick more than one answer.

Edited by disturbman
Claude_Dreyfus

I try - honestly I try very hard(!) - to limit myself to JR East and JRF trains. Doesn't always work though...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

There is one category missing, IMHO - private railways, other regions. I have several private railway cars from Shikoku (Kotoden), Hokuriku (Hokutetsu) and Hokkaido.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Well, hmm, the original plan was "late JNR/early JR somewhere in the Kansai area, and private line trains possibly fictiously cascaded from other areas" but has pretty much broken down to "anything pre-2000-ish which takes my fancy, especially if it's on sale", which presumably explains the MicroAce Hokuriku 455 commuter unit I somehow picked up. I do try and limit myself to trains I've seen or been on. Though as I've now got more stock than I can recall, I'll be taking a bit of a hiatus from further purposes (at least that's what I tell myself).

Guest keio6000

My collection has something from every one of those categories except for two. ( Of those two, i used to have a set from one of them but sold it off). I think the two categories i dont have trains from are the two least popular from an n gauge perspective from the list. Care to fathom a guess?

Hint: one of the categories already has several votes, though either i have missed something obvious that belongs to that list or, as i suspect, somebody has checked the hox incorrectly.

Edited by keio6000

There is one category missing, IMHO - private railways, other regions. I have several private railway cars from Shikoku (Kotoden), Hokuriku (Hokutetsu) and Hokkaido.

Cheers NB

I know but there was not enough boxes. There is several other possibilities missing. I have to say, I thought that third sector railways would be more interesting to have, and also more generic. And I actually did not really believe any one was solely focusing on the remaining private railways. ;)

I have two focus areas for collecting models: Keihan Ishiyama Sakamoto Line and Keishin Line (Kansai private company) and JR Shikoku.

Nowadays I particularly focus on those two Keihan lines because it's not too expensive and it fits better on a small layout. As for JR Shikoku, I like everything from local DMU's to lt. exp. EMU's, but collecting JR Shikoku stuff is paused for the moment because it was getting too expensive.

I also have some other models: a few from JR East and one JR Hokkaido train, but I got those before I decided which region I really want to model.

I picked about half the categories and I only have 6 trains!

The only real limitations I'm putting on myself for what I model are a) it has to be something that I've either ridden or want to ride, and B) putting it on the layout has to at least look basically realistic, ie. no trams running on shinkansen tracks and vice versa. My goal is just to remind myself of what I see/do when I actually go to Japan, or what I dream of doing someday.

I might relax that second rule pretty soon... I'm starting to get the itch to run some American trains on my Japanese layout.

Edited by spacecadet

I picked about half the categories also.  They double up almost being the same thing ie commuter/emu/express/local etc.  although different, the are only just different.

I started with Kyushu trains due to their large number of Joyful trains and the 800 series Shinkansen.  Recently been delving into West and East trains after a trip to Japan to ride some of the trains.  Trying to stay away from East Shinkansens for now, as they are plentiful and each on costs a mint.

Sadly, I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on rolling stock right now (it has mainly been repurposing materials bought before I started focusing on Japan Railways), so I suppose I model Category 3 railways...

Ultimately, once there is space to run stuff, I will likely focus on JR East and JR West Commuter and Express trains.

the_weird_one

What ever takes my fancy, I initially started thinking I should model a specific area - but now I'm more about the modeling and enjoying watching the trains run.

Put me in the "what ever takes my fancy" camp as well.  I have an affinity for JR West and Hokkaido area trains, but I'm willing to buy models from any region or era if they are attractive enough.  

Interesting topic and voting!

So, can I say JR East and Limited Express or JR East Limited express trains are in the lead right now?  :)  JR East do have lots of beautiful express trains, just the pure amounts of different variations of the 485 is enough...

I started off with JR West, my favourite shinkasen, the 500 series. Then I decided ok, lets get shinkansens then, and moved in to the E-series. Then started the Limited Express trains and local trains and etc.....

Still trying hard to limit to JR East and somewhere there region trains, and steering WAY clear of JR Kyushu, JR Hokkaido and JR Shikoku, although I do have a Kotochan train and upcoming Tetsudo Hobby train....

Current roster is heavily biased to Tomix and MA and JR East.... And basically if there's something on sale i'll always try to see if it can fit in. Although hard to resist, but i try my best never to step into JR Kyushu and JR Hokkaido, especially JRK as they have an insane number of joyful train to collect....

*Forgot to add, also lucky for me i'm not very into freight trains and private railway trains (except for some really nice ones like the Kintetsu Shimakaze, Odakyu series, Tobu Spacia etc...) so that's cool ~  :)

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Another one for the "what ever takes my fancy" club.

Maybe in a few years i may consider on going on a theme/era/region but for now is just the good old, do i like it? 

Maybe in a few years i may consider on going on a theme/era/region but for now is just the good old, do i like it? 

Same for me :)

I started off with JR East shinkansens, limited Expresses and local modern stuff as well as some JRF for a bit of running variety. My wife is from Kyushu so bought me some Kyushu trains over the years . After becoming more aware of the history, I'm now really interested in the JNR era stuff from the 50s and 60s. Let's be honest, we are spoilt for choice modelling Japanese railways. My father models 00 British outline and he often looks with envy at my Japanese trains.

Guest keio6000

well, nobody picked up my challenge :)

the two that I don't have are JR shikoku and third sector railways.  I used to have the latter (sanriku dmu) but got rid of it a long time ago.  I'm curious what third sector railways people think they own?  I think it's quite unusual.   JR shikoku, too, for that matter.

This list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_railway_companies_in_Japan

shows third sector railways in italics.  are you sure your n gauge collection has any of these?  they are not exactly common.   though i'd gladly join the 3rd sector club if a credible yuirkamome was made  in ready to run form :).  or maybe it is because so many people have the toyama tram?  oh wait--i actually do have a tetsudou collection one of those... does that count?  and also i guess i kind of have a jr shikoku train if you count my sunrise express set.  but both of those are pushing it especially as the latter is operated by jr west and central.

amazingly, for my large collection, i only have a single kansai area private line train, and that's an urbanliner and I'm only vaguely sure that I didn't sell that already.

Edited by keio6000

I know but there was not enough boxes. There is several other possibilities missing. I have to say, I thought that third sector railways would be more interesting to have, and also more generic. And I actually did not really believe any one was solely focusing on the remaining private railways. ;)

In fact I model my own private railway; the other private railways are "guest visitors" on my line. I have a trio of Kotoden cars which do dual duty, sometimes as cars from my own road (other than the colours the cars have nothing to identify them as Kotoden cars), sometimes as Kotoden cars proper. My railway is set in the past (1960's) so I can run freight, have JR steam locos on the interchange and still justify a rural railway.

Cheers NB

Same for me too, at this stage. When I know more about the prototype I might decide on a particular line, or region etc.

So everyone is selecting all 20 boxes then?

Nope, I selected around 10 I think... I missed out half of them: JR Kyushu, JR Hokkaido, JR Shikoku, JR Freight, JNR, Private Companies (Tokyo), Private Companies (Kansai), Third Sector, steam traction and loco haul...

Cause I count getting only one of them from any one of the above sections wouldn't be considered as collecting them, right?

I do have 3 Odakyu... 1Tobu, 1 Kintentsu, 1 Kotoden, 1 SL, 1 Nostalgic train and 1 Cassiopeia...  (loco hauled)

So everyone is selecting all 20 boxes then?

[/quote

I managed 11 boxes.... Because I focus on the lines between Ueno and Omiya, between 2000 and 2010 ! Edited by Ewan.in.gz