Scratch Built Buildings

Desban,

Really nice! What material did you use for the tile roof? Greenmax? And the big question what for the roof peak caps?! The kobaru set?

Kudos!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Desban,

Really nice! What material did you use for the tile roof? Greenmax? And the big question what for the roof peak caps?! The kobaru set?

Kudos!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for your message ... the roof was made using the Kobaru plastic roof tile (which comes with ridge tiles)

Thank you for your interest and kudos :)

By the way it's Dabsan not Desban :toothy12:

Some of the video blogs on YouTube have noted there are free magazines at the 7-11 stores with nothing but cafe maid like advertisements. As a saavy retailer in Japan could be selling those on eBay to model railroaders to have some of those ads photographs to be used on model building businesses.

Hence, what are the names of such publications?

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 1

Some of the video blogs on YouTube have noted there are free magazines at the 7-11 stores with nothing but cafe maid like advertisements. As a saavy retailer in Japan could be selling those on eBay to model railroaders to have some of those ads photographs to be used on model building businesses.

Hence, what are the names of such publications?

Sounds very interesting :)

Hi, here are some photographs of another scratch built building I have been working on.

The side of the structure will be set into a hillside type landscape maybe with some more buildings.

post-766-0-20113500-1441470350_thumb.jpg post-766-0-66611600-1441473066_thumb.jpg post-766-0-35020300-1441472944_thumb.jpg

Edited by dabsan
  • Like 3

Desban,

Hey great work! Nice feel to it, will be fun to see it in place. Kudos to you!

You make me long for time to do some work like this! Soon I hope!

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice! I like the wear out errie look on this one! Thumbs up!

Maybe its an Halloween influence ........ Ha!!

Thanks for the nice comment :)

desban,

nice, you must have quite a row of handmade buildings now! 

jeff

Yes a have made around 7 buildings now. It's great fun making them! :)

Edited by dabsan

I need to get off my butt and do some, been burried in life too much lately.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

What station is this or sorta looks like ? This is my first attempt at station building.

Yes, I know kinda lame looking. LOL

post-3263-0-56256300-1445100079_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Kb4iuj

Well, It looks like a station in Southern Japan......perhaps San Antonio Japan. Alamokata Station

You just need a little direction. Here is a comparison and suggestion.

23-123.jpg

You should use card stock which will allow you to cut in straight lines and square up your structure. Just replicate the small building in the lower right and them move on from there.

The potential is there you just have to refine your technique.

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Actual here's the real photo of it. Saw it on youtube and just did a screen shot.post-3263-0-86386600-1445214948_thumb.png

This isn't the greatest of photo's but one can guestimate the dimension. But, look at it 4 tracks going under it.

Edited by Kb4iuj

Dang. That building could almost be a copy of one of the houses from around where I live! It just needs more junk and vegetation in yard.

P.s. this lot-building is great for people who don't have space for a layout (yet)! It is realistic and it lets you get into extreme detailing as well. Very tempted myself as well to start this...

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

Here's what I threw together Saturday night. I even put in dividers so as to paint each room. Though, I don't know if I want to fool with putting a TV on a wall and installing a few futons, refrigerators and stoves and a complete living room. Though, I might put a hatch up on my the roof and a door on each side and pretend there's a stairway in the back of the building.

post-3263-0-73043700-1449515303_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 3

Kb4,

Fun. What are you using for your wall material?

Interior details can be very cool, usually you can get away with very simple representations using small bits of chipboard or stryene. Paint them solid colors and just fill in the standard shapes in the room. The mind's eye will fill in all the fine scale details that you could never see w.o your eyeball up against the window! What you want are just a few basic visual cues to the room contents to get the mind's eye started.

Lighting really helps bring out the fact there are interior details as well. Just as in real life at a few hundred feet (looking at your model couple of feet away scale) all the windows go gray and you don't see anything inside unless back lit a lot. keep the lighting tuned down, not an led in a little room full blast mini sun but use a variable resistor instead of a fixed resistor so you can adjust the brightness. Don't light every room, having some dark helps draw the eye to the ones that are and it looks more like a usual building.

Also you can printout details like bookshelves, tv screens, etc and just glue them to some chipboard and cut them out. Fast way to get some fine detail!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2