Scratch Built Buildings

Nice dadsan! One word, kawaii! Now you really need some maids in N scales standing in front of the maid café building, just like in real life Akihabara whereby the maids will solicitate you to enter their café ~~

• Like 1

Nice dadsan! One word, kawaii! Now you really need some maids in N scales standing in front of the maid café building, just like in real life Akihabara whereby the maids will solicitate you to enter their café ~~

Thanks JR500 :notworthy:

Nice work desban!

Are the characters in the sign at the top of the first floor of the maid cafe cut out to be 3d or printed on clear acetate and just a bit off the backing? Really looks 3d in the photo!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice work desban!

Are the characters in the sign at the top of the first floor of the maid cafe cut out to be 3d or printed on clear acetate and just a bit off the backing? Really looks 3d in the photo!

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff, the characters on the sign just have a shadow behind them (done in photoshop) it gives the illusion of 3D.

Thanks for you comment and interest. :)

Looks great! Now you really need those two sets that contain the uniform on the pictures.

Yeah but I can't find anywhere selling those figures but hopefully I will find some in near future.

Hi Jeff, the characters on the sign just have a shadow behind them (done in photoshop) it gives the illusion of 3D.

Thanks for you comment and interest. :)

Ha! Worked well in the photo. How well does it work when you look at the sign form an angle? I've never tried a shadow effect like that on a 3d structure before.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi, I have just added another building to my growing street :)

More are planned ....

post-766-0-07850300-1428307952_thumb.jpg

Edited by dabsan
  • Like 3

Desban,

Nice job! Great details and windows.

I hope to get started on some buildings like this soon! The silhouette cutter is sitting there laughing at me for not playing with it!

Jeff

• Like 1

Let us discuss the merits of Matsuya vs Yoshinoya vs Sukiya :grin

Desban,

Nice job! Great details and windows.

I hope to get started on some buildings like this soon! The silhouette cutter is sitting there laughing at me for not playing with it!

Jeff

Yeah hope to see something you have made soon :) that would be so great!!

The silhouette cutter sounds like a great tool to use.

Desban

When I was young I did a lot of chipboard modeling for work and it was loads of fun, but cutting windows gets tedious by hand and Murphy's law says you will screw up the last window you cut on a wall, never the first! Great thing with the silhouette if it works well for this will be once you come up with a design it's easy to spit out more copies for others and quickly mix and match bits into new structures!

Jeff

• Like 1

Desban

When I was young I did a lot of chipboard modeling for work and it was loads of fun, but cutting windows gets tedious by hand and Murphy's law says you will screw up the last window you cut on a wall, never the first! Great thing with the silhouette if it works well for this will be once you come up with a design it's easy to spit out more copies for others and quickly mix and match bits into new structures!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes that sounds really great! Thanks for the info.

Nice work desban!

Are the ac fan units flat pictures with just some depth in the visually on a piece of chipboard?

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice work desban!

Are the ac fan units flat pictures with just some depth in the visually on a piece of chipboard?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes the ac fans are just pictures on plasticard. They are small enough to give the impression of depth and detail.

Great work Dabsan !

Might inspire me to finish a few scratch built buildings I started but never finished.

Cheers,

Hi nscalestation,

That's a nice job.. hope there would be more progress on your diorama work..

Hi, I have completed the Maid Cafe building, please see some photographs posted here. Hope you like it?

I tried to find some of those maid figures which kvp mentioned about but I am having difficulty locating some, does anyone know where I might find some?

Hi Dabsan,

Nice thread.. many thanks for sharing here... :) love to see the progress..

• Like 1

The texture of buildings seemed to be so realistic.. just wondering if you wanna share the materials you used to all details of textures :) did you make all of them hand-sketched?

• Like 1

Very nice dabsan! How did you get those Japanese characters to look so nice? They look very realistic, just like those behind LED boards one can see on shops!

• Like 1

Dabsan  these are really nice building you've been making....I like the gate on the storefront in particular....something you don't see often. Great work!

• Like 1

Thank you for all the nice comments :notworthy:

The buildings are made from plasticard, and painted. I make a rough plan on paper and then get building.

Starts of rough and slowly develops into what you see in the photographs.

Textures are just paint and how I brush it on, signs are hand drawn and photographs cut and applied to the buildings.

Hopefully I will build a few more soon, still thinking up some new ideas.

:)

• Like 1

Hi Dabsan,

That's a nice sharing, thanks. :) you definitely have special / dedicated buildings that others don't and cannot find in the market... awesome.. will keep an eye on your update..