Kato's 50th Birthday 1965-2015

For me it was. Considering the Tsurumi line kumoha12 were kept in service because the entry curve to the branch was too much for larger cars it is a good selling point. (i've also seen a rather dilapilated kumoni13 on several depot photos together with a kumoha12, so that was a good idea too) Unfortunately when i tested the cars on a 140 mm radius curve, it turned out they could pass them, except a rattling noise from the cardan shafts, caused by a small square shaped section on the otherwise round shaft hitting the bogie frames. I'm still looking for an explanation on this feature.

ps: I do rembember Tomix selling their Hakone-Tozan set by showing they can pass their R103 curves.

To be fair, those curves are a centimetre tighter than the ones Kato say the model can handle.

It sounds as though they'd be fine on 150mm radius but that's the absolute limit before the drivetrain starts complaining. I think the square sections are probably to strengthen or maybe balance the shafts, looking at my Kato stock they seem to have been a standard thing for ages.

I notice that Hobbysearch are suggesting various 101 and 103 Series sets to go with the KuMoHa 12/KuMoNi 13, I'm assuming they mean that these would have been seen at the same station in the same time period rather than that they'd have run together in the same train?

The Tsurumi line has a few branches with various platform lengths and number of passengers, with most end stations having a factory gate at the station exit. The Kumoha12 was on the Okawa branch, while the 1xx series were seen mostly on the Umi-Shibaura branch, which has a very nice seaside view. The station got so popular that they added a park next to it, so railfans won't have to stand on the open platform until the return trip. (you can only leave the station through the Toshiba factory, swimming through the docks or walking along the tracks, neither is safe or allowed)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsurumi_Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umi-Shibaura_Station

I wonder if Kato will consider using the mechanisms to offer the earlier EMU types that the KuMoHa 12/KuMoNi 13 were converted from? Given that they seem to be struggling to keep these models on the shelves at the moment there's clearly demand.

Something like a KuMoHa 31-KuMoHa 30 pair (or however they ran), as a boxed set with the CV1 oval and a transformer? I could see that selling...

Hello,

It is Kato item number 2027.  C50 50th Anniversary Kato N Scale product.  It is featured in the current Kato catalogue.  It is available for pre-order now.

Do you think that Kato will release a DMU/EMU for the 50th anniversary or this will be the only model including some goodies?

I do not have the catalogue and I am not really interested in steam engines.

Hello,

It is Kato item number 2027.  C50 50th Anniversary Kato N Scale product.  It is featured in the current Kato catalogue.  It is available for pre-order now.

Well spotted...

Well, they're still making those short clerestory bogie coaches, I think someone mentioned them as being an early product when I asked about vintage Kato a few months ago? There seems to be a pack of four of them planned to be released in April.

That C50 looks to have the motor mounted in the tender, at least I assume that black rod sticking out of the coal space is a driveshaft. I suspect the new one will be a modern retooling rather than dusting off the original!

Liking the look of the KuMoHa 11/KuHa 16 pairs which are listed to be released in May, while not a 50th anniversary special I hope I manage to get hold of one to go with my KuMoHa 12 and KuMoNi 13.

They had a retool in 1980 with a full cab motor then one or more retools again. Still, i like the original even if it's 1:144 and has a non rapido coupler. (similar to a fleischmann profi)

I take comfort in that the original C50 was 50 years ago.  And I'd make the assumption that some form of modern retooling will have been done between now and then.

Hello,

Thanks.  Now you have told us the readily available English info.  Any chance of the Japanese info that non Japanese readers cannot read.  Maybe all the gold text down the bottom of the page please?

Thanks.  Now you have told us the readily available English info.  Any chance of the Japanese info that non Japanese readers cannot read.  Maybe all the gold text down the bottom of the page please?

Here you go:

* In 1965 Kato launched the first Japanese N gauge C50 steam locomotive, and 50 years later is re-introducing it with the latest technology

* The prototype is the early form of the C50, complete with textured number plates and realistic reproduction of the chimney

* includes 50th anniversary DVD containing running scenes of trains sold by Kato

* includes 50th anniversary booklet, showing Kato's epoch-making (sic) products and technology

* special annivesary packaging

* 32000-kei coaches pulled by the C50 are also on sale at the same time

• Like 3

They had a retool in 1980 with a full cab motor then one or more retools again. Still, i like the original even if it's 1:144 and has a non rapido coupler. (similar to a fleischmann profi)

The couplers were an N scale copy of the American HO X2F or 'horn hook' couplers, I have a couple of kato freight car trucks from the period equipped with them.

Here you go:

* In 1965 Kato launched the first Japanese N gauge C50 steam locomotive, and 50 years later is re-introducing it with the latest technology

* The prototype is the early form of the C50, complete with textured number plates and realistic reproduction of the chimney

* includes 50th anniversary DVD containing running scenes of trains sold by Kato

* includes 50th anniversary booklet, showing Kato's epoch-making (sic) products and technology

* special annivesary packaging

* 32000-kei coaches pulled by the C50 are also on sale at the same time

"latest technoglogy" :toothy12:

Kato are bringing out quite a fleet of steam locos.

Agree ... Kato steam loco range expanding and track range expanding nicely.  But Tomix still leads the way with range and quality of Shinkansen.

Was that attempt at sarcasm?  I missed the laughing smiley.

Kato and Tomix seem to be expanding their steam loco ranges together which is good for us buyers/collectors/modelers.

Not sure about Kato's track range statement.  If is fairly one dimensional and lacks any variety compared to Tomix.

Only Tomix's shinkansens from west of Osaka leads the way over Kato.  Between Osaka and Hakodate, they offerings of both are on par with one and other.

Edited by katoftw
Krackel Hopper

Was that attempt at sarcasm?  I missed the laughing smiley.

It seemed like a fairly accurate statement to me.

Kato has been really dominating steam over the last couple years, multiple versions of the D51 and C62 as well as the C12, C57, C59 and upcoming C50.. On top of their North American FEF and I'm still probably missing a few.. Tomix has a couple variations on the C57 and their C61.. all very high quality but far behind on the variety.

The Unitrack line is far from Tomix, but it continues to slowly chug along. The turntable, slab track and #4 single crossovers are all welcome additions. Still nowhere near Tomix, but E6 never claimed it to be.. Just said he was happy with the new available options.

When it comes to Shinkansen, not only does Tomix have more "west of Osaka" but they also have a larger variety of E1s, E3s, E4s.. Series 200.. possibly more..

• Like 1

Oh sorry.  I thought the statement was about expanding ranges of locos.  Not current available ones.  If E6's statement was about current range. Then Yes Kato wins hands down.  If it was about expanding ranges.  I think they were even for 2015.

You hit the nail on the head about Kato track slowly chugging alone.  "Slowly" is the key word.  Again I thought the statement was about the expanding ranges.  Which Tomix has released over 30-40 new track items in 2015.  Much more expansion than Kato's 6-8 or so new items.

Damn it.  You are so correct about the shinkansens. Kudos to you, and I stand corrected.

Edited by katoftw

For me it was. Considering the Tsurumi line kumoha12 were kept in service because the entry curve to the branch was too much for larger cars it is a good selling point. (i've also seen a rather dilapilated kumoni13 on several depot photos together with a kumoha12, so that was a good idea too) Unfortunately when i tested the cars on a 140 mm radius curve, it turned out they could pass them, except a rattling noise from the cardan shafts, caused by a small square shaped section on the otherwise round shaft hitting the bogie frames. I'm still looking for an explanation on this feature.

I was just experimenting with what runs on the Tomix tram track, the Kumoni 13 certainly makes an alarming noise on 140mm curves, though it's fine on 177mm ones.

(FWIW according to the Kato catalogue, the Portram/Centram has a minimum radius of 90mm (!)).