Kato's 50th Birthday 1965-2015

Apart from the feature in this year's catalogue and a small exhibition in the Tokyo Kato store with the same content and some of the older models on display, there doesn't seem to be anything special and a Google search doesn't reveal any events. I might be passing through there in the next week or so and will inquire if I remember.

Does anyone know if they plan to release the old emu they have before the kato center as an N scale set? (afaik they never made it in N)

Maybe a nice model with special Kato 50th anniversary mark will be nice. I mean they did release a Kato 205 series train before...

Assembly kit with separately sold power unit to come out later this year... Either Kato is trying to get into Tomytec's market share (and Little Japan's at the same time), or this is a one time only offer. Why offer an assembly kit however when Tomytec is offering a completed 2-car set? This must be sold dirt cheap...

Edited by Toni Babelony

Metal wheels, metal pantograph, one car... Almost not worth the effort to pimp up a two car Tomytec set. Almost... However, the Kato quality is probablya tad better than Tomytecs'.

The strange part is that they're currently making at least a few models which were released in the '60s (the clerestory roof coaches and the Kokuden 103 Series), but haven't even made commemorative packaging for them.

Seriously, would it be so hard to print some new cardboard wrappers/inserts with "Kato 50th" on them? Maybe using the original logo next to the current one, with "50" in between, or something similar?

• Like 1

Hello,

BTW, next year is Micro Ace 20th year Anniversary.  Let's hope they have something interesting for us.

Are you sure? They were certainly producing stuff in the early 1980's, the only event which happened in 1996 according to the Wikipedia page is the opening of production in China, which is probably not something you'd want to make a lot of song-and-dance about.

Maybe it's the 50th year of being a corporation?

1966年に株式会社へ改組し、株式会社有井製作所 (アリイ) となる。以後プラモデル製造を中心として事業展開。

Looking at how other model railway manufacturers have celebrated big anniversaries, the secret seems to be to offer commemorative products at a range of prices and availabilities.

By all means have an ultra-limited top end set or two, but also release some models that everyone can afford and sell them worldwide. A set of the three clerestory coaches with a suitable steamer would probably cost about the same as their other packs, and it'd sell well to those with limited space. Kato have clearly spotted a gap in the market with the CV-series track sets, and their listing for the new KuMoHa 12/KuMoNi 13 models makes the point that they can handle a 150mm radius curve. You wouldn't mention that so prominently if you didn't think it was a selling point.

and their listing for the new KuMoHa 12/KuMoNi 13 models makes the point that they can handle a 150mm radius curve. You wouldn't mention that so prominently if you didn't think it was a selling point.

For me it was. Considering the Tsurumi line kumoha12 were kept in service because the entry curve to the branch was too much for larger cars it is a good selling point. (i've also seen a rather dilapilated kumoni13 on several depot photos together with a kumoha12, so that was a good idea too) Unfortunately when i tested the cars on a 140 mm radius curve, it turned out they could pass them, except a rattling noise from the cardan shafts, caused by a small square shaped section on the otherwise round shaft hitting the bogie frames. I'm still looking for an explanation on this feature.

ps: I do rembember Tomix selling their Hakone-Tozan set by showing they can pass their R103 curves.

Are you sure? They were certainly producing stuff in the early 1980's, the only event which happened in 1996 according to the Wikipedia page is the opening of production in China, which is probably not something you'd want to make a lot of song-and-dance about.

Hello Mr railsquid,

With regard to Micro Ace, yes, I am quite sure the company will be celebrating it's 20th Anniversary next year.  Please let me explain further.  The company has been around in various forms since 1963.  The model rail section has been bankrupted and reborn ... twice, I think.  The same Wikipedia page that you reference also says this:

2006年にはマイクロエース10周年として、10周年記念モデルも発売された。これはマイクロエースが新製品の発売を再開した1996年から起算したものであり、実際には2006年時点で「マイクロエース」ブランドは25年以上の歴史があった。一時期レールや制御機器なども発売していたが、2010年現在は車両と車両ケース類のみが発売されている。

So, although the company has been around in various forms since 1963, the modern Micro Ace considers itself to be 19 years old.

Further, I reference the excellent offerings celebrating the 10th Anniversary in 2006 here:

1. A1788 - EF65-1019/1118 Double Set 10th Anniversary For Micro Ace (3-Car Set) (Model Train)

2. A1789 - MICRO ACE 10th Anniversary Product EF65-123/123 New and Old Color (3-Car Set) (Model Train)

3. A3125 - Taki 1000 Red (2 Cars Set) 10th Anniversary For Micro Ace (Model Train)

4. A3126 - [Micro Ace 10th Anniversary Product] Taki 1000 Orange (2-Car Set) (Model Train)

So, let's hope all is well in the offices of Micro Ace and look forward to some exciting releases to celebrate 20th anniversary next year !!!

• Like 1