Hankyu trivia

bikkuri bahn

Was flipping through the channels last night, and stopped at the variety program "kenmin show", which highlights unique aspects of each of the 47 prefectures in Japan.  I usually wouldn't bother to pay much attention, but the theme was Osaka, and specifically the characteristics of the railways there, particularly Hankyu.  Two little trivia factoids came out:

1. at one time, Hankyu was thinking of changing their rolling stock colors (probably to seem more "up to date" or "modern"), but community opposition from people living along the line(s)* quashed that.  For that we are thankful, as Hankyu has kept their classic maroon livery. I shudder at the thought of unpainted stainless steel stock running on Hankyu.(other than the subway run-through services).

2. Hankyu's rolling stock is known for its spotlessness, and higher than the usual standard for comfort in commuter stock.  Particularly, the plush, heavily cushioned olive green seating on trains is made of felt fashioned from Turkish Angora goats.

*likely places like Ashiya, with high real estate values, where the maroon color of Hankyu trains is symbolic of the cachet of living in a chichi neighborhood.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 5

Hot damn, Hankyū certainly is top notch! It'd be impossible to see such standards around here in the Kanto! Even Odakyū with its regular trains ballering through stiff upper-class Seijō/Setagaya aren't that well endowed. 

Hankyu has used surplus seat material to fashion various novelty goods, such as these tissue box covers:

http://www.tokk-mall.com/tokk/news.html?nseq=10000659

It'd be impossible to see such standards around here in the Kanto

It's a different culture in Kansai, very much more dominated by private railways and locked in competition with JR West.  Also, the concept of interurbans as the synergistic base of a customer-focused business venture originated in Kansai, with a nod to the P.E. in So. California.

• Like 2

Hankyu has used surplus seat material to fashion various novelty goods, such as these tissue box covers:

http://www.tokk-mall.com/tokk/news.html?nseq=10000659

There is something about blowing your nose with tissues in a box, wrapped by fluff that has seen a million butts.

It's a different culture in Kansai, very much more dominated by private railways and locked in competition with JR West.  Also, the concept of interurbans as the synergistic base of a customer-focused business venture originated in Kansai, with a nod to the P.E. in So. California.

That is definitely the case indeed. The only company that has a very fierce competition with JR in Kantō -I can think of, would be Keikyū. They have a similar approach to customer service as most private companies in the Kansai. Not surprising to have this company running on 1,435mm gauge, irregular seating setups (2100 and older 600 types) as well... Come to think of it, the TJ Liner from Tōbu is kind-of copying the Sanyō Railway as well with its traversing seats on a fast commuter service.

Most private companies in the Kanto already have advantages over JNR/JR (if in direct competition) that make them an attractive alternative, so they don't need to invest in customer service that much. Other than that, they usually target different commuters than JR, since the lines usually don't compete with eachother.

Hankyu Railways was in effect (more or less) the prototype for private railways in Japan. Indeed, the founder of Hankyu, Ichizō Kobayashi, was an amazing astute businessman that used the Hankyu lines north, west and northeast of central Osaka to sell homes near Hankyu stations, developed the onsen resort of Takarazuka into a major weekend destination and eventual bedroom community, and put in a very profitable department store right on top of the Hankyu Umeda Station in Osaka. And he founded the famous all-female Takarazuka Revue in 1913, which became a major hit (especially since Japan at the time was infatuated with Western-style song and dance shows) that has lasted to this day.

Indeed, the very success of Hankyu Railways with its business model inspired another Japanese businessman, Keita Gotō, to build a business empire that modeled itself very much like Hankyu: Tokyu Corporation. Indeed, many housing developments in southwestern Tokyo were built by Tokyu along Tokyu rail lines.

• Like 2

I just discovered the Hankyu. I can't get over the absolute first-class nature of the operation. Everything about them is perfection in my opinion. 

Color-coded destination signs, beautiful upholstery, classic uniforms, clean platform floors at Umeda Depot, and who on earth besides them has not only clean cars but polished cars?

This is what I had wanted for the railroads I worked for.

Mitch

• Like 2

I just discovered the Hankyu. I can't get over the absolute first-class nature of the operation. Everything about them is perfection in my opinion. 

Color-coded destination signs, beautiful upholstery, classic uniforms, clean platform floors at Umeda Depot, and who on earth besides them has not only clean cars but polished cars?

This is what I had wanted for the railroads I worked for.

Mitch

... and you travel with the Hankyu to visit the Katsura Imperial Villa.