railsquid's random Japanese train photos

railsquid

Correct, it's the former Toyoko line approach to Shibuya Station being dismantled. Took me a moment to work out what it was when I saw it in "preview" mode while looking through some old pictures.

Fascinating!  Why are they changing the routing of the line?  I can't quite tell from google maps whats going on.

Fascinating!  Why are they changing the routing of the line?  I can't quite tell from google maps whats going on.

That's old news; the line was put underground and joined up with the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin line a couple of years ago.

Thanks, that explains the lines of parks and streets looking suspiciously like a former right of way leading north from the station.

Further towards Daikanyama (to the right of the previous photo) on the same day - old running lines jacked up out of the way after diversion to the new tunnel.

toyoko-sen-redirection.jpg

• Like 4

This is the south approach though as the Toyoko line station was a terminus and the line left Shibuya towards Yokohama in the south. The area will be razed and new residential/office towers will be built in place of those tiny houses lining the riverbank and the old elevated track.

Martijn Meerts

That's kind of insane!  It looks almost like a N gauge helix. Thanks for sharing the photos!

There really is a prototype for everything :D

A couple of random freight shots from the Musashino Line

38889757145_906eb2bed5_z.jpg

Musashino Line EF210-142, 2018-01-19 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

39788841311_1b33983828_z.jpg

Musashino Line Taki 1000 tankers, 2018-01-19 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

39078650334_aa19a90d1a_z.jpg

Musashino Line EF210-170, 2018-01-19 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The east end of Nishi-Urawa station seems a popular location for photography.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Nice pics, Squid.  I was looking around for youtube videos of the Musashino Line just a few days ago.  A majority of them seemed to focus on the east end of Nishi-Urawa as you said.  Seems like most freights come down that connector with the Tohoku(?) Line.  Is that what you observed?

In my limited observations the majority seem to come over the flyover, but this one:

38913153215_0bff723808_z.jpg

Nishi Urawa EF65-2093, 2018-01-21 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

came west over the Musashino line. Couldn't get better pictures as I had one hand full with the Squidlet, but here are a bunch of people who probably did:

38913152875_552d8ff6f2_z.jpg

Photographers at Nishi-Urawa, 2018-01-21 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5
Das Steinkopf

Nice to see at least one EF65-2000 still in action, I am rather tempted to get one for my collection as I have an EF200 on pre order and I already have an EH200, EF210-100,  EF66-100 and two EF64-1000's so getting an EF65-2000 would give me an almost complete fleet of JRF DC electric locomotive types. 

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

There seem to be a couple of EF65-2000s still around, though I haven't really tracked the numbers so not sure if I'm seeing the same one. Anyway as the Musashino line is a relative haven of JNR-era stock I'll make sure to traverse it regularly. On Friday I saw at least one EF65-2000, two EF66-100s (OK maybe technically not JNR era) and an EF64-1000. Also an EH500 with a short train (about 5 wagons) of covered Tokis (well that's my best guess).

More random than train-related (though immediately to the left of this picture is the Mitaka depot) - a recent phenomenon in Tokyo (and presumably other parts of Japan) is suddenly stumbling on loose groups of people standing around engrossed in their smartphones, giving the impression of a localised zombie infestation. I guess it's that Pokemon game or similar, but it's seriously freaky if they're infesting a small playground where you want to go and play with your child.

tokyo-zombies.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
bikkuri bahn
On 2018/2/25 at 1:52 PM, railsquid said:

More random than train-related (though immediately to the left of this picture is the Mitaka depot) - a recent phenomenon in Tokyo (and presumably other parts of Japan) is suddenly stumbling on loose groups of people standing around engrossed in their smartphones, giving the impression of a localised zombie infestation. I guess it's that Pokemon game or similar, but it's seriously freaky if they're infesting a small playground where you want to go and play with your child.

tokyo-zombies.jpg

Yep, Pokemon Go.  And it's mainly middle aged men, which makes it creepier.