railsquid's random Japanese train photos

railsquid

Now here's a sobering thought - this is (AFAIK) the last JNR-era class of train which makes a regular appearance at Tokyo Station.

33098795821_83bcaca4ed_z.jpg

185-tokyo-station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Nice pic.  The 185 is a favorite of mine, I'd like to ride one before they're all gone, which is probably soon.  I assume there's a schedule revision this month.  The 185s have survived the mid-March schedule revisions for a few years now despite surplus 651s, etc.  Will they make it through this year?

I love how I'm almost always greeted by an 185 whenever I come to Tokyo Station. However, it's always been an Odoriko livery one. Never saw any of the others. I also never rode one so far. Something I gotta do.

Question is, before they go is there even anything to replace them with?

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

I think the 185's will still continue to run--they are primarily assigned to the Odoriko resort train, various weekend resort trains, and to the Home Liner service.

During my visit to Japan last September I was trying to get a shot of a 185 because I didn't know if I'd see them again but always missed the shot, until the last day when I got photos and video of one passing Akihabara after the last minute hobby shop visits.  Always keep the camera handy until you step off the NEX at Narita.

• Like 1

185s are great! Today I had a little rewarding pass as -after installing an exhibition in Yokohama, on the way home a coupled pair of 185s sped past my train in Higashi-kanagawa sta. Those old motors sound so nice at full speed...

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

Hmmm . . . I see they're using wye switches for the platforms, just as I recommended to valkyriepm.

I like the ped crossing design which kinda forces people to look in the opposite direction before going over the second track.

P.S. - I don't see anyone else around to jostle with ??

P.S. - I don't see anyone else around to jostle with ??

Mrs. Squid and the Squidlet are behind the camera, and there was a little old lady in the waiting room.

Just the sorts of jostlers that you need to watch out for ;-)

Sorry - I had an incorrect meaning in mind.

Edited by velotrain

Another blast from the past from the past - on Sat. Aug 30th 2008 I espied this very JNR-esque sign at a station between Shinagawa and Tabata:

33666230740_57a393c473_z.jpg

Showa-era JR (JNR?) station sign by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The only clue I have as to which station is the next photo I appear to have taken on that day, which is evidently near Ryogoku. Not entirely sure any more what took me in that direction on that day, something involving a date and a cinema vaguely comes to mind. As I was living near Mejiro Station at the time, this could have been Akihabara, though I was also working a few stops down the Keikyu line from Shinagawa so in the event I was in the office beforehand (unusual but not unheard of) it could be Shinagawa. Or I might have had some time to kill and spent a while poking around somewhere like Ueno, which seems a likely candidate.

• Like 1

Enjoying these pictures... thanks squid san for posting them!

I really envy the large pool of train fans including female ones in Japan... Imagine it's so fun to go on a date with a common interest for trains!

railsquid

I was sitting minding my own business drinking coffee when I saw an alarmingly heavy-looking crane hook swinging in front of me. Turned out it was extracting stuff from this hole in the street:

34091064710_d2fb56dd3a_z.jpg

Construction work under the street by Rail Squid, on Flickr

What's the railway connection, you ask? Well I think it's part of a new pedestrian subway linking the nearby metro stations (the Yurakucho/Hibiya complex) with a new office tower.

• Like 2

More subterranean construction work, this time the new east-west passage underneath Shinjuku station, which has been under construction for years, but I've only just caught a glimpse of:

34579995366_6cb37fa649_z.jpg

shinjuku-station-construction by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This will ultimately replace the east/west exit ticket gates with freely accessible east-west passages with the ticket gates in-between, vastly improving access between east and west sides of the station.

• Like 3

Nice ~ It's like part and parcel of my everyday work, only on a more professional level of construction works  :P   Would you happen to see who the contractor might be?  (there are usually hoardings around to shield from the public, with the company's name on it)

Now here's a sobering thought - this is (AFAIK) the last JNR-era class of train which makes a regular appearance at Tokyo Station.

33098795821_83bcaca4ed_z.jpg

185-tokyo-station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Bzzzzt, turns out my assumption is only correct for the above-ground part. Venture into the labyrinthine depths of the Keiyo line platforms to espy this genuine 1985 (Showa 60) 205 series from the Musashino line:

34367760200_3e4d9fda5c_z.jpg

205-tokyo-station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

34620680391_a37e791c5e_z.jpg205-maker-plate by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5