A Kyoto Tram in Tucson

We just got back from a family visit to Tucson, Arizona. There's a volunteer group there called "Old Pueblo Trolley" that restores and runs trams from various places on a short route near the University of Arizona. One of their vehicles is a restored Kyoto tram (more about it here).

Our schedule was really limited, so we couldn't ride the trams (the Belgian one is the only one in service at the moment, and they only run it on Fri/Sat/Sun). We stopped by to see if we could get a tour of the carbarn, but unfortunately no-one was around. (We should have called in advance, but I didn't know when we'd have time until the last minute. They give tours as long as someone is there, if you're interested in going.)

Anyway, I at least got some pictures of the trams, which are visible from the street. Here are some pictures of the Kyoto tram:

3626892215_ba3143607d.jpg

[click for bigger]

3626851413_656fa24417.jpg

[click for bigger]

3627683988_82a77fdb30.jpg

3627689352_951c50031a.jpg

[click for bigger]

3627706368_595f1775b5.jpg

Anybody know what all this means?

[click for bigger]

There are a few more pictures showing the Belgian tram and the Portuguese tram that is currently being restored, in this Flickr set.

bikkuri bahn

Nice pictures.  I suppose the dry climate of Tucson is good for these survivors.  Anyway, the upper left plate is a warning not to bring aboard explosives, fuel, large quantities of matches and other inflammable items. The upper right plate is an exit sign noting that there is only a driver and no conductor.  Lower right plate gives model number, weight, build date, and last inspection/overhaul date.  I'm not sure what the smaller plate next to it is, but is does have the characters for the former owners, the Hankai Railway.

Anybody know what all this means?

ワンマン = "one-man crew" (i.e. no conductor)

出口 = Exit

危険品持込禁止 = No hazardous items permitted on board. (The explanation below asks you not to bring aboard inflammable liquids, large quantities of matches, etc. I have no idea why the Japanese consider this an issue.)

形式 = model

自重 = vehicle weight

製造年:昭和28年 = date of construction: 1953

検査年月 = inspection date

bikkuri bahn

how does 製造年:昭和28年 = date of construction: 1953?

昭和28年 (Showa 28) refers to the Japanese Imperial Calendar, in this case the 28th year of the reign of Emperor Showa (known as Hirohito in the west), which would be 1953.

Yep; even today, Japanese prefer to use the Japanese calendar rather than the Christian one in the majority of cases. The current year in Japan is 平成21年 (Heisei 21).

alpineaustralia

Thats amazing. I never knew that.

So to now the year, you need to know the year from which the relevant emporer commenced his reign? or is it his birth date?

Yep; even today, Japanese prefer to use the Japanese calendar rather than the Christian one in the majority of cases. The current year in Japan is 平成21年 (Heisei 21).

If recall correctly there was a J-pop boy band called Heisei 13, and they were all 13 at the time. It was a bad pun.