Rush Hour At Keisei Takasago Station

Jcarlton

This youtube contributor has many good videos posted, that use the single vantage point technique of videography- useful to observe railway operations over a designated time period, in some ways superior to cab views as you can understand service patterns better as one variable (location) is kept constant.

The stretch of line between Aoto and Takasago is an interesting one, with four lines and a variety of trains. Since 2010 the branch (Keisei Kanamachi line) runs on the bridge above the camera and though there's a connection to the main line, it now basically runs as a shuttle; IIRC there are no regular through trains to / from it.

As 2 schemes are merged together.  I like seeng the people fade away in the background.  Great way to get alot of trains in without dead time.  And amazingly will 30+ minutes each video.  I wonder how long the original cut video was?

Edited by katoftw

I wonder how long the original cut video was?

The first one is taken from a period of 8:04 to 9:02, the second from 9:05 to 10:01. If you watch on the youtube site, you can get details of each train with a timestamp link directly to it.

*Addy may have found this helpful in his chase of the Asakusa Line cars.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Nice! I didn't know the Keisei Sykliner AE100 is still in service! I thought they were all phrased out by the new skyliner...

Still in use as commuter-orientated "City Liner" services on the original Keisei route.

Still in use as commuter-orientated "City Liner" services on the original Keisei route.

How long the AE100's will continue to operate is probably now in question, since only two full trainsets still exist, especially with the cutback in City Liner services in 2012. The AE100's were probably never considered for the current Skyliner operation over the Narita Sky Access route, given the top speed of the AE100 was only 110 km/h (68 mph), not the 160 km/h (100 mph) top speed of the current AE trainsets.

Interesting..

Suddenly I realised, the crossing sounds in the video. It seem non-stop! That means one have to wait as long as 30mins or more during peak hours at the crossings?

Entirely possible. Search Youtube for "開かずの踏切"...

I note that by building the Kanamachi branch platform where it is, they've pretty much made it impossible to put the main station on a viaduct to remove those crossings. I wonder what the thinking behind that is.

Edited by railsquid

Here's a video looking the other direction:

As for putting the whole station on a viaduct, I don't see that happening as you have to move the yard and that's not happening. On the other hand it looks to me as if the viaduct for Kanamachi branch is designed for expansion when Keisei wants to elevate the main tracks to expedite through traffic and make the whole thing a two level station. That's probably why the Kanamachi branch station was put on a viaduct in the first place.

Interesting..

Suddenly I realised, the crossing sounds in the video. It seem non-stop! That means one have to wait as long as 30mins or more during peak hours at the crossings?

The 25 minutes of editted out video is probably when the gates are up.