Kids' Books about Japan?

Anybody know of any good books for kids--either stories or nonfiction--about Japan? I'm mostly looking for something in 2nd- or 3rd-grade reading level. We've read several of Allan Say's books, but I haven't found many others.

Too bad it's not China you were looking for, there is a great children's fable about how the Panda's got there "black" eyes.

Well, I could look for that, too.  :)  But since the kid is big into Japanese stuff at the moment, I'd like to find some books for him--especially about modern life there, but legends, etc. are good, too. I have a book of "Japanese Tales", but I'd have to be pretty selective about which ones to read--lots of them are pretty NC-17.  :)

It's also tricky with a 6-year-old who's a good reader to find things that aren't too short or boring, but that aren't too "mature" or disturbing for him.

I can draw a book by hand and it would look like a children's book.

--->>>

but that aren't too "mature" or disturbing for him.

I would like to propose "the stone and the saber" (I'm not sure of the english titel) of Yoshikawa Eiji, first part of a novel telling the story of Miyamoto Musashi, a very well known Samuraï. In fact Musashi is one of the biggest japanese heroes and a funding cultural figure.

But I guess you would like to wait until he is 10 or more to make him read (the book weights it's 500 pages). Maybe you can also read it to him. I'm pretty sure he will and you will enjoy it.

Your son is exactly my age when I started reading the Lord of the Ring for the first time, mind you that I finished six years later and this book is some kind of tale, a legend in a strange "romantic" world.

Thanks! I'll check that one out--sounds like it may need to wait a few years, but I may need that long to read it.  :cheesy

In the meantime, I'd like to find him some "daily life in Japan" books, since I think he's interested, and maybe some older tales.

I'll probably read The Hobbit to him soon and see how he likes that, and then see what to do about Lord of the Rings.

Scott - It's greateat that you read to Anders! Too many of the parents of my wife's students don't do this and it really helps children take an interest in reading! You're setting a fine example.

it really helps children take an interest in reading!

Lately, I have a hard time getting him to put a book down long enough to listen to me reading to him. :-/  Or to eat, or go to school, or catch a plane, or....

The Adventures of Momo-Taro is a famous Japanese children's story you could probably find easily enough.

Thanks...I'll look for that one, too.

Scott, this book is probaly aimed at a younger audience than you need, but it's a great book regardless.

"Chugging all the Way", by Naokata Mase.

I have a well-read copy, which I ostensibly bought for my son who is three.  :grin

The story is quite simple, being about a train trip from the mountains to the sea, but the illustrations are gorgeous. The author must have visited the Shimotsui Railway a few times I think.

Cheers,

Mark.

I have a well-read copy, which I ostensibly bought for my son who is three.   :grin

:grin

Yeah, that one might be worth it for the pictures....