Kintetsu "Shimakaze" limited express, Kashikojima to Kyoto

Sacto1985

YouTube member pnw11gt4z posted this very long video of a trip on a Kintetsu 50000 Series EMU in Shimakaze limited express service from Kashikojima to Kyoto:

At the beginning of the video, you see some of the luxury accommodations on the 50000 Series trainset, of which three are now in service. If you plan to ride this train, note the cost is fairly expensive, since besides the basic fare and limited express supplement fare, you also have to pay an additional fare to ride this train.

• Like 1

I rode this train Kashikojima-Uehonmachi this past summer.  Well worth it, if you can get one of the seats in the front section, say within the first three rows- the 1030 yen premium is not bad, considering you get very nice accomodation ("leather recaro style" seating) at the equivalent price of a typical makinouchi bento (or a railfan magazine).

Note the segment starting around 2:06:30 where the train traverses the crossovers at the Yamato Yagi station throat to get to the Kashihara Line connector, and then onward to Yamato Saidaiji.

• Like 1

One of my favourite private railway trains, perhaps the top 3! The other 2 being the Odakyu 50000 VSE and the Keisei Skyliner...

Any idea what is the fare we're looking at? It looks really good, and now I want my Tomix model badly...

I believe currently, the Kintetsu 50000 trainsets (there are currently three in service) run primarily between Kashikojima and Osaka Uehonmachi, Kyoto or Kintetsu Nagoya stations as the most luxurious trains in Kintetsu service.

Is Kashikojima a popular tourist or business convention spot? I'm looking at the passenger numbers getting on that train and I can't see enough to justify the cost. It's obvious that this is the off season, but still. OK, a quick look at the map sort of indicates that it's both. Three golf courses?

Edited by Jcarlton
  • Like 1

The area is not just Kashikojima, there are numerous other resort hotels/onsen with a seaside/island setting clustered around Toba, as well as a theme park.  Also the Ise Shrine which is a major destination on the way. It serves as a weekend getaway spot for residents in the Kansai and Tokai regions.

It seems to be a pretty popular service, likely earning a profit for Kintetsu, given the booking figures this month and December for Nanba-Kashikojima, with open spaces only left for front-end weekday services in December:

http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/chokutsu/zanseki_osaka.pdf

Edited by bikkuri bahn

The area is not just Kashikojima, there are numerous other resort hotels/onsen with a seaside/island setting clustered around Toba, as well as a theme park.  Also the Ise Shrine which is a major destination on the way. It serves as a weekend getaway spot for residents in the Kansai and Tokai regions.

You are correct. It's akin to the Izu Peninsula for Tokyo residents--there are a lot of weekend getaway hotels on the eastern side of Izu Peninsula just like in the Shima Peninsula.

Nice video! I hope to ride this train one day, how much would it cost aproximately?

A one way trip from Osaka Nanba to Kashikojima (end to end) would cost 4950 yen (base distance fare 2310, ltd express supplement 1610, Shimakaze supplement 1030).

http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/senden/shimakaze/ride/

4950 yen is about 41 usd at current exchange rates.  In comparison, a one way fare between San Jose, California and Davis (roughly the same distance as Nanba-Kashikojima) on Amtrak's Capitol Corridor service is 35 usd.  Shimakaze is not that expensive, considering.

• Like 1

Just thought I'll drop this here:

It's a table for the fares of the trips on the Shimakaze. To find the total, simply add the base fare, Ltd express fare and Shimakaze fare. Also, add in 1050 if you wish to use the compartment cars (if they're available I think)

* Source from a pamphlet on the Shimakaze, kind compliments from MTP. Thanks!

Bikkuri Bahn - you are dead right on with the fares! Kudos!

post-819-0-07903500-1419324882_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-55684600-1419324890_thumb.jpg

• Like 2