Brake Van Use

whiteoak

My interest is the JNR diesel & steam worked branchlines / secondary lines in the 1972-82 era.

This era will allow the use of steam, whilst fright operation was a mixture of traditional black 4wh wagons (including LCL). It also the start of container traffic . I'm not sure if 'block trains' had started in this era.

I'm seeking clarity on the use of brake vans in this era, most photos I've looked at indicated that the wagons are fitted, and freight trains often did not have brake vans.

So why would a brake van be used?

Type of train?

Length of journey?

Steam or Diesel hauled?

Thanks

Kelvin White

Ashendon

• Like 1

Hi, 

All JNR wagons were air brake fitted in the era you are interested in. In fact JNR had used fitted freight wagons for many years even before WW2. In the steam era of 1972 to 1975 the trains had a van for the conductor and this could be found anywhere in the train as all wagons were air braked. JNR followed a mixture of British and American practice and a guard in the British sense was not needed. 

My favoured area is Kyushu and here there were 4 wheel coal hoppers with a conductor/guards cabin and these could be found in other freight workings.

The Japanese Government Railways actually switched from chain and buffer to janney couplers essentially overnight in the 1920s. After that time, essentially all cars had westinghouse airbrakes, which was a good idea in a hilly country like Japan. Some versions of the shibata coupler for passenger stock even have the two airpipes built in. So the brake vans are actually called guard vans and were mostly used to transport crews who couldn't ride on the footplate of the locomotive. This is why in later eras the guard vans were moved right behind the locomotive (similar to German practice), to protect the crew from rear end collisions. Since then, the end of a train is usually indicated with round red signs or red lamps at night. In the late 70ies and early 80ies JNR decided to get rid of guard vans and operate freight trains with a crew of 1 or 2. Guard vans are still in use for special purposes, like special trains where large crews are required, as coupler conversion cars or as safety padding between the locomotive and any dangerous cargo. Many of these uses often result in two guard vans on both ends of the train or sandwiching special cars.

• Like 2

It also the start of container traffic . I'm not sure if 'block trains' had started in this era.

Dedicated container express trains began in 1959, with the "Takara-go" service between Shiodome (Shimbashi, Tokyo) and Umeda freight terminal in Osaka.

• Like 1

Something I've noticed in a lot of photos is a brakevan at both ends of the train. From my own experience I'd make an educated guess and say these were trip workings, or turns as the Americans call them. Having a van at both ends saves a lot of time and effort when you run round for the trip back to your home yard.

Cheers,

Mark.