kato interior lighting kit installation help

Kenji T.

Hi. Im in tokyo now and just finished my yearly train shopping. I mainly bought kato trains and tomix tracks. I also got a few kato interior lighting kits to fix in my train. However, i don't really understand the instructions in the box. I also am not very confident in removing the top and bottom of my (shinkansen/commuter train) to fix the lighting. Anyone here knows how to remove the train cars and how to install the kato lighting kit? All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :^)

• Like 1

The Kato interior lighting kid isn't too easy as compared to Tomix and MA (or illumi and Torm, cheaper alternatives), which only needs to drop in. However, it still isn't too difficult, and there's no difference between wide and narrow unlike Tomix and MA, and also there's no need to buy between white and orange.

Here's a video on youtube. Not too clear, but nothing beats video explanation, better than words, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAeKWem7Os

You can also search kato 室内灯 on youtube and there'll be more videos on how to install Kato lighting kits.

Basically, you need to remove the body of the train car first. Then you'll need to place 2 copper strips below the carriage bed, (provided in the pack) then place the light bulb with holder onto the groove, ensuring contact with copper strip. If you wish to have orange light, you need to place the orange filter first to the light bulb, otherwise the light will only be white. Than you'll need to trim the plastic lighting tube if required, especially so for front cars of shinkansen, to the required length. Place the light tube on the underside of the car and assemble back the body and you're done!