Eurostar at 20: The world's most famous trains

Guest j_doug

I can't honestly say that Eurostars do anything for me, but those big MAV 4-8-0s on slide 8 - FRUITY! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

I don't seem to find slide 8, but the MAV class 424 is one of the most famous hungarian locomotives and some of them are still in use for museum excursion trains. However i think the new eurostars (siemens ice3-s) are better suited for the channel tunnel and they might even defeat the infamous 'bad kind of snow' problem.

If you open that link in the first post of this thread, you'll see an image of a Eurostar. Scroll to the right and you'll come to slide 8, an image of two class 424s starching along on a passenger train.

Many years ago I had some time on the footplate of one of these engines, and I came away very impressed. They're a very capable loco, very free steaming and running.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks! And that train on the photo might actually have been the orient express. (interesting info: in their later years, the 424-s were also used for push pull trains so many got equipped with remote control cables which also allowed a limited mu operation, because a fireman was still needed on every unit)

Can't wait till they use the new train look much better then the currently operated.

Travel 2 return trips this year, it need further renovation its look out dated and worn out.

Although I like the German train, would be interesting to have E5 operating there.

Then I could do Shinkansen + TGV + ICE on a single holiday trip in mainland Europe!

In Asia you could do all in one trip! ICE in China, Shinkansen in Japan/Taiwan/China and TGV in Korea. ;)

But somehow I find the British Class 395 to fall under Shinkansen as well, it is also said to be very closely related to the 400 series Shinkansen. I've never rode on it yet though, reminds me that I've been wanting to visit the UK for a while now as well.

Edited by Densha