500-Series 8V and 16W Sets

Guest ___

Something I hadn't really given any thoguht to, but it did hit me while working on the new website. All those 16-car 500 series train sets (all 9) are getting chopped down to 8 car sets. What is going to happen to all those displaced cars that are cut loose. That's 72 cars out of service, and U can see them sitting around as spares since they are bogie mounted. Do they get cut down, scrapped?

That's a shame, they make for great places to host model train clubs. (My own American HO-train club is hosted in one of only 7 horse cars build tor the C&O Railroad) I sure hope a few of those cars at least made it to a museum like the one up there in Omiya or the one out in Kyoto.

I like how you referred to a prototype train as a "train set".

It always sounds funny, but I think "trainset" is a fairly accepted term for multiple units that stay coupled together.

Hi,

I confirm you that the rest of 500W set where cut up at Hakata depot (now 6 to 9 W set are reduced to V set) the whitdrawal of 300 series is start too (replaced by N700)

normally only the head cars are placed on museum (I know only one double deck 100 series car is preserved but I'm not sure)

ciao

Massimo

I think in 2 places, Hamamatsu work and Hakata depot, J1 (J0 prototipe) and J61 already scrapped, J1 head cars preserved at Hamamatsu for now... (sorry but is really hard for me the translation of japanese train magazines ;-)

At Sendai depot of Jr East the same work is started for all 400 series and for Fastech 955 prototype (954 is in the same place but only in parking for now...)

ciao

Massimo