Question: ETR 450 Trenitalia

bikkuri bahn

Is the ETR 450 still used on the IC services between Rome and Reggio Calabria? (IC 551 et al)  I read in a Japanese railway magazine (this past spring) that only two ETR 450 trainsets (#2 and #3) are currently operational on this service, and that some/most services are loco-hauled.  I would like to take a day trip on the ETR 450 between Rome and Salerno, preferably a morning train from Rome.  I will return in the afternoon on a NTV Italo service. 

any information/updates appreciated!

If you patience few days I can ask in an italian forum, as I live at nort and I don't know about it...

Here (north) ETR450 are not in use...

• Like 1

Thanks Matteo.  No rush to get an answer, if you have the moment to ask, I'd really appreciate it.  I read that the remaining units will be broken up into smaller formations and transfered to lines in Sicily in due time.  I want to get one ride on such a distinctive train on a trunk line service before they are gone.

Hello, 

it seems the only train is InterCity 552 and InterCity 561.

IC551   Reggio C. (08:10)   ->   RomaT.ni (15:34)

IC561   Roma T.ni (16:26)   ->   Reggio C. (23:48)

It seems also the tilting system is unoperative.

I hope I was helpful.

• Like 1

Thank you.  Well, it looks like I'll have to catch the IC552 from Salerno on the return leg of my trip.  Either that or find a lineside location outside of Rome and get pics of it running by.

*am I correct to assume that even numbered IC trains are up (direction of Rome) trains, while odd numbered are down?

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Hi, 

even: south to north; east to west.

552 Reggio - Roma; 2028 Milano - Torino.

odd: north to south; west to east.

561 Roma - Reggio; 2021 Torino - Milano.

Edited by Matteo_IT
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Went to Salerno today. Unfortunately an ETR 450 was not rostered for IC552 today, being loco hauled. My disappointment was slightly compensated by the loco at the point of the train- an FS class 656, which did its duty as far as Napoli.