New way to control DCC trains - using Bluetooth

Mauka

Hmm, by the looks of it this isn't a DCC system - it requires a different kind of decoder - though it can run on DCC layouts as like DCC it requires constant track voltage, just this system gets the command via bluetooth, not through the tracks. And is HO only, presumably for size reasons.

From the FAQ:

Want to let the grandkids operate your train over the web?

What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

Aloha railsquid,

Sure you're right, I got the info from a O-Gauge (OGR) forum so the command system might be Lionel or MTH Trains based, but I thought HO was DCC?

There is another remote system from Bachmann that uses Bluetooth as well.

Bluetooth technology fits into a phone so it should fit into a N-Scale engine as well.

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/williams-by-bachman-big-game-changer-byod

Edited by Mauka
The Next Station Is...

It's not quite the same but I have a fairly crudely assembled bluetooth/Arduino module linked up to a motor driver and a battery pack for my little tram track in the corner of my lounge. I had been surprised that nobody else had jumped on the concept and put it to market, but it looks like that's slowly changing!

You could even use a LEGO Power Functions IR receiver and a train remote to power up to 2 analog loops per receiver. It's also possible to add bipolar turnout (Tomix/Kato) control with another receiver and a Technic on-off-on remote. No programming required, just a few PF cable to track/turnout cable adapters. For powering the receivers, any 9-10V DC source will do, but there is an official LEGO lipo battery/charger combo. The remotes take standard AAA batteries and if you switch channels on the fly then only two remotes are required (one train and one turnout type). The receivers feature automatic current limiting and short detection. An USB connected PC adapter is also available. The same remote/receiver/battery pack can be used to remotely control a LEGO 9V analog layout or the new LEGO Power Functions equipped trains. (these also feature remotely switchable head and tail light support)

Imho there are x+1 ways to do this and there are lots of different kits available for it.

Bluetooth technology fits into a phone so it should fit into a N-Scale engine as well.

We were talking about this at train show on the weekend while I was videoing the layout with my Looxcie camera mounted on a flatcar and watching it in real time on my Galaxy phone.  Any smart phone has an HD video camera and bluetooth transceiver that would fit into an N scale loco or EMU with room to spare as well as a speaker and amplifier that gives pretty good sound for the size. The technology is there, it's just that no one has the financial incentive to apply it to our hobby.  An iPhone or Galaxy will sell millions to every N scale locomotive.