Kato Signals and Automated Crossings

Tenorikuma

Tenorikuma

Has anyone used Kato's automated signal lights and crossings? I'm just wondering exactly how they work, and how good they look.

Odd, I've dropped it in to my browser and it works fine for me.

Ok, then the only other thing I can suggest is go to the JRN portal page click on blogs, then on page two where the entry is entitled "signals"

ROFLOL. you can say I'm now an expert on the signals. Haven't used the crossing, but I can tell ya a good bit about it as well. What ya need to know about them?

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?action=felblog;sa=view;cont=14

Do you just hook up the track piece with the signal, and it automatically detects trains and changes the light? (Same with the crossing?) Or do you operate it manually with a switch?

ROFLOL. you can say I'm now an expert on the signals. Haven't used the crossing, but I can tell ya a good bit about it as well. What ya need to know about them?

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?action=felblog;sa=view;cont=14

Do you just hook up the track piece with the signal, and it automatically detects trains and changes the light? (Same with the crossing?) Or do you operate it manually with a switch?

The proper link (I fixed this in Shasinka's post) is

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?action=felblog;sa=view;cont=14;uid=62

There is a little metal contact in the middle of the track and when the first wheel of the train bridges the circuit, it sets the signal to red. From there everything is timed.

Getting info on the KATO signals was tough, I posted EVERYWHERE and no one had any answer, and it seemed that no one really knew much of anything about them. I figured it out on my own eventually with some assistance on this board, and subsequently managed to get a KATO track book which really didn't say much. It's a really good signal system for DC trains.

They Yahoo KATO group has a lot of posts about converting the DC to DCC but it seemed like no one talked about the DC system signals.

Presumably since the signal draws its power from the rails and expects a constant DC draw, you could splice in the same basic electronics that are used to refit DC train headlights for DCC. (Note that most of what I know about DCC comes from reading Capt. Oblivious's blog, and none from actual experience.)

I do not beleive the signals draw any power from the rail whatsoever. The rail only trips the signals when a train rolls over the bridge-switch. There is an external power supply used to power the lights. If I disconnect that power supply from the plug, the trains will run over the tracks, but the signals are dark and will not function.

The following is required to run the signals:

Kato Power Pack: 22-014

3-Color Controller: 24-829

3-Color Signal Track: 20-605

Kato AC Accessory Adopter: 24-829