Tax-free shopping in Japan, or not?

Densha

There are other ways, but going to a tax exempt counter is an much quicker and easier way.

I'll use JR Hakata City as my example:- http://www.jrhakatacity.com/english/service/

Tax Free Shops

There are many shops with tax free services.

※Tax free services are not available in the following situations.

• The product will be consumed within Japan (food, beverages, cigarettes, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, etc.)
  •  
  • The product's retail price is ¥10,500 or less.
  •  
  • The pepole who work in offices in Japan.
  •  
  • The purchaser will be in Japan for more than 6 months.
  •  
  • The product was purchased previously in one of the shops.
  •  

So you go to the shops, spend more than 10,500JPY, take you reciept to the tax free counter and collect a refund for the tax amount paid.

The point of the article is that more retailers are following this trend and offering the same service.  And it sounds like they are expanding/relaxing the rules a little.  Article doesn't seem to give any finer points.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link to JR Hakata City! Rather useful as I will have around 2 days there next year ~ Sweet refunds.

* Off topic, just changed my yen for next year. Strike while the iron is hot! All time high exchange rate of SGD$1 to 85.3 yen! Sounds like more trains coming my way! :)

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/10/01/new-tax-exemption-system-for-foreign-visitors-starts-today/

Anybody who understands exactly what's going on? So far I can understand from the article it the tax exemption will only apply when a shop participates in the program.

The exemption limit has been lowered from 10,000 yen to 5,000 yen and includes a wider range of goods. With the cheaper yen and increased tourism especially from Asia, retailers have more reason to set up tax-refund counters, and more are doing so. I dunno what the situation is if the store doesn't have one - maybe you can get a refund direct at customs on the way out? Not that it effects me, so not really sure of the details.

* Off topic, just changed my yen for next year. Strike while the iron is hot! All time high exchange rate of SGD$1 to 85.3 yen! Sounds like more trains coming my way! :)

I might live in Japan, but get paid at the moment in USD  :blob7:

I dunno what the situation is if the store doesn't have one - maybe you can get a refund direct at customs on the way out? Not that it effects me, so not really sure of the details.

That was actually exactly what I was wondering about... but it looks like stores need to set it up themselves before a customer can benefit from it.