T Gauge question - maintenance

E231-500

Just wondering if anyone here has had much experience with T gauge?

I have a 103 series T gauge model and it's running very poorly. I would like to open it up and give it a good clean up but have no idea how to approach doing it.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on dissasembling the T gauge 103?

Also on clening the track and wheels too.

Thanks in advance

They are tiny! I've opened mine up a few times to clean them out, the tend to suck in a lot of gunk with time. Sorry it's been a couple of years since I last opened mine (have not been playing with T for awhile as I found I had too many things going on), but I found them pretty straight forward to pull apart the gen 1 and 2 motor cars.

To clean track I use isopropanol and a bit of cloth. On the wheels I use isopropanol and those little dental applicators to scrub the wheels well as they seem to get dirtier more than n scale due, may be due to the magnetic wheels rubbing the tracks more to pick up more, not sure.

On a good note there has seemed to be a very steady improvement in the mechs over the years, I think its up to gen 5 of 6 now!

Jeff

Thanks for that info.

Managed to get the power car that was causing me issues open and cleaned up.

Unfortunatly while putting it back together i managed to snap the coupler off. No way its going to reattatch.

I might have to invest in some new rolling stock now with the better mechanisms.

Bummer, problem with T size!

Check with trainaidsa.com, they may have some replacement parts.

Prices have gone up quite a bit as they now are using a custom produced electric motor that works better than their older sourced motors.

Jeff

you wont find T in japanese stores as they dont want to buy from Eishindo as when harai moved the company to hong kong it seemed to upset them and they stopped ordering directly. some kept some supply by exporting from europe of all places and paying a big price to do so. it was very odd.

in the US trainaidsa is the supplier and even brings over the stuff made by folks in europe and other folks making t scale stuff now as they are also producing some of their own t scale stuff on their own and in conjunction with Eishindo.

http://www.trainaidsa.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27  

couple of companies in europe are doing some of thier own stuff like the ICE3

so t is all happening pretty much outside japan now!

jeff

• Like 1