Japanese trains outside Japan?

railsquid

Just a random thought - is anyone modelling Japanese trains which have been sold to other countries (mainly Indonesia, but also the Philippines and maybe Myanmar)?

i am modelling Indonesia..

only have JR103 and KRL-I (converted from E231 frame) EMUs so far.. and one BB303 locomotive plus its K3 (economy) class passenger cars.

Interesing - any pictures?

(And have you added the apparently obligatory wire mesh front windscreen covers?)

only have KRL-I's prototype (paper made), BB303 in progress, and the 103 still unpainted.

nope, i'm modelling them in 2005-2008, the meshes are still not attached on this period.

103, KRL-I prototype, and EH500

10405362_813436462032517_293942140900407

103 and BB303 in progress

10262075_813436772032486_299335506403468

K3 local passenger car (paper made, out of plastic, lol)

10151374_813436802032483_392082249198765

well, you see a BB304 on its background.. it was a prototype, and used its chassis on the BB303

• Like 1

I'm using N scale Japanese steam models - D51, C57, 8620, 9600, C50, C12 - for Taiwan steam, as they are correct with just minimal detail changes. I've already used a MicroAce C56 to do a Thai 2-6-0 locomotive, and some of the models listed above can also be used for Thailand, Russia (Sakhalin), China and even a standard gauge D51 for Korea.

I'll also be using Japanese Kiha 52 and class 20 blue passenger cars for Philippine models, as these are also correct.

A MicroAce C12 can also be used for Vietnam.

There are also a couple of Japanese electrics that can be kitbashed for China. 

And, farther afield, kitbashed Japanese D51 and electrics (made into Diesels) for Bolivia.

No doubt there are others I've overlooked. . .

- Paul Ingraham, AsiaNRail 

• Like 2

I have the Taiwan Touch Rail TEMU 1000 Tokoro Express set.  The TEMU 1000 is an exported JR 885 Series.

• Like 1

Railtunes, 

The Japanese C 56's that went to the RSR were a little out of gauge for that system, their boiler mountings were shortened by a few inches, not to show up on  a model, and the cab roof's central section, about 4 feet or so, was flat, not curved. 

This shows up on photos,

Also, RSR used vacuum brakes, so all air brake fittings, compressor, receiver, aftercooler and associated piping were removed.

The Japanese knuckle couplers went, replaced by the RSR pattern meat choppers, on a model these wouldn't have to work, but are quite distinctive in appearance on the front buffer beam.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

My scratchbuilt  1.32nd scale C56 is based on the SRT ones. It will run on 0 gauge track when finished but to be honest I not done much on it for ages

k3Z0IUv.jpg

GFS Steel chassis milled out to represent the bar frames, Nickel silver superstructure and turned Cast iron wheels

The plinthed ones at the SRT stations and the ones based at Thonburi make getting detail shots of these quite easy

Kev

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Thais also had 4 C58 2-6-2s nos 761 to 764 that were unmodified as far as I can tell apart from bars on the tenders to hold all the logs

I've been planning to make one in 1nM for years but must get the C56 finished first

Kev

• Like 1

Kevsmiththai,

The four C 58's that went to Thailand would have had to have the same modifications as the C 56's, i.e., shortened boiler mountings,  flattened cab roof, removal of air compressor, fitting of cow catcher and Thai meat chopper couplings. etc.

They weren't popular locos there, although a light lines engine in Japan, their axle loads were too high for most of the system, and they were scrapped fairly soon after the war.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, Yavianice said:

The Japanese EF66 has also been sold to Spain. Renfe class 251. It's really funny seeing a Japanese loco running in Spain, IMO. It's been modeled by KATO also. It's sort of rare, but you can sometimes find it on ebay.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:RENFE_Class_251

There was another RENFE electric from Japan, dunno the class but looks like an EF81... Ibertren made a model in N.

A number of JGR steamers were also sent to Korea and China in the 30s and 40s - to Korea they went only to privately owned railways, not to the Chosen Government Railway... after 1945 the ones I know of ended up in North Korea. The Korean DeRoI and DeRoNi class electrics (after 1945 all in North Korea) could also be modelled using a JGR electric...

scotspensioner

The principle class of Japanese designed locos supplied to Spain were the 269 class which were originated by Mitsubishi.They have a resemblance to the EF81.

Several batches were built numbering over 100.

The 251s are used on freight trains over the Pajares Pass in NorthWest Spain

Do the new British classes 385,800/1/2 count in this list? Hornby have produced a model of a GWR 800 train

I also seem to recollect that powered coaches were delivered to Ireland. They were Electric units for the Dublin Area Rapid Transport  ( DART) 

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional information
ben_issacs

Folks, 

Two Japanese loco builders provided steam locos to South America in the 1950's.

In 1952-53 Mitsubishi provided 30 80 class 5'-6" gauge  4-8-2's to the Chilean State Railways.Very North American looking engines, with bells.

In 1958 the Bolivian National Rlys. got 10 Hitachi built metre gauge oil burning 2-8-2's, closely based on Japanese D 51's.

Much of Bolivia is at an altitude above 10,000 feet, and diesel engines are not happy at high altitudes, so the Bolivian system decided to get a group of steamers, which aren't much affected by high altitudes, and apparently Hitachi was the only company to be able to supply these engines fairly smartly, using existing D 51 drawings.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

marknewton

Mitsubishi also built the 750 mm gauge 2-10-2s of the Rio Turbio railway in Argentina. The first batch of 10 engines were built in 1956, and the second batch of 10 in 1963. They had mechanical stokers made by Daihatsu.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2
ben_issacs

Thanks, Mark, 

I had forgotten the n.g. 2-10-2's for Rio Turbio.

Had seen the Chilean and Bolivian locos, but not the Argentinian ones.

A good variety of gauges, broad, medium narrow, and narrow narrow.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

scotspensioner

The principle class of Japanese designed locos supplied to Spain were the 269 class which were originated by Mitsubishi

Today's Railways Europe is to publish an article on these locos in the July 2019 issue

Meantime a photo of a 251 ( EF 66 dervative) appears on page 31 of the June issue.

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional info

Reference to ben_issacs post of 25 November 2018 about the Thai C56 2-6-0s. As you noted, there are some detail differences that I captured on my rework of the MicroAce C56. The one thing I didn't change was the couplers, as I modeled the preserved, operating loco 715 which now has knuckle couplers. I used MicroTrains couplers on both the pilot and tender. Here's the model.

Thailand N scale 2-6-0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1