JR Hokkaido "Nupuri" limited express, Sapporo to Hakodate

Sacto1985

YouTube user HKASAMA recently released this zenmen tenbou video of the Nupuri limited express train from Sapporo all the way to Hakodate via (mostly) the Hakodate Main Line:

The train used is a Niseko Express trainset, a Joyful Train modified from a KiHa 183 trainset. And yes, it takes a lot longer on this route from Sapporo to Hakodate than the Super Hokuto train.

Edited by Sacto1985

I admire the tenacity of the person to film it and anyone who watches all 5.5 hours...

These full run videos are nice and if you don't have the time, you can download it from youtube and use a video player (like mplayer) that lets you accelerate the playback speed. At 10x 5.5 hours is only 33 minutes...

An interesting tidbit--the very route traveled by the Nupuri train is the same route used by the passenger trains pulled by JNR Class C62 steam locomotives up until the middle 1970's!

The last time I rode that route was from Hakodate to Sapporo in 1990.  The section from Niseko to Otaru was behind C62 3 on the Niseko SL.

I also rode the Niseko C62 train around that time, after a trip up from Honshu (via the all-coach overnight express Hakkoda).  That stretch of the Hakodate Main Line, with all its curves, was the only time I got (mild) motion sickness on a train, on a trip many years later in a diesel railcar.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Here is the same trip going in the other direction take by the same YouTube member:

Note this trip starts in the afternoon and ends in the evening.